Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories per day

Hey vets. I'm 14 months out and have lost 46kgs with 10kgs more to go. I have been a bit lost and not very motivated. I am keen to be back on track and meet my goal. I am just wondering how many calories per day I should be eating and how many grams of Protein, carbs and fat.

It depends on your height and weight and bmr. Everyone is different

everyone is different. One thing you can do is download My Fitness Pal, it will give you a rough idea of what your calories should be to loose weight and how much Protein and other things you need in a day

A rule of thumb for Protein is 1 gram for every inch you are tall. I am 15 months post op.

I track everything everyday for everything I put in my mouth. I am still in the losing weight phase but within 10lbs of goal. I usually land between 1000 and 1200 calories a day, between 70 to 80 grams of protein.

If I stay below 80 grams of carbs or lower, I lose. If I go above 80, I stall. Because I am so close to goal I can stall out for a long time.

I, on the other hand, am losing weigh at 1800 calories per day give or take and am at goal weight. I need to raise to at least 2000 but I suspect more like 2200.

Everyone is very different. It depends on your muscle mass. Trial and error is the best way to figure it out. I use an app called "lose it" to track my calorie intake and weight. That's how I have figured out my metabolism.

I suggest starting higher and decreasing until you see weight loss. Protein requirements depend on your weight and gender.

Boy, does the answer to your question vary. And it's not as straightforward as you would imagine, based simply on someone's age, gender, even their activity level.

At 17 months post op, I'm maintaining at 137 pounds at 1700 to 2000 calories. Yet I know people who have to eat 1,000 - 1,200 calories/day to maintain their weight.

Like others above have posted, you just have to track your own food intake carefully over a long period of time and see how your body is responding. And then you have to work hard at accepting what the numbers tell you.

I will also say that if you are *guessing* at how much you're eating, chances are you're not guessing right.

Final comment -- I don't think all calories are equal. Calories from Protein and green veggies don't seem to have the same effect on me that calories from highly processed carbs have. Having lost all the weight I want to lose, I now eat some of everything, but the quality of my food certainly matters.

I am 14 months out and I am one of those people who have to eat 1,000-1,200 to maintain if I go over I will gain. I am currently trying to loose 5 lbs that I gained over the holidays and I honestly still was keeping below 1,800. It is also very true about the quality of your food. I have been hit in the face with reality that I must keep the carbs down and the quality Protein and veggies up up up!

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but if so - HELP! I lost 130 down from 290, and the regained 25 being self indulgent. I'm trying hard to get it off--3 days a week at gym and logging food--but can't seem to start losing again.

For those of you still losing more than a year out, what are your macros?

I'm at 1300 calories, 130-140 G Protein and under 60 g carbs. No bread/pasta/grains/potato/corn/beans and almost no fruit or sugar, except what is in veggies. This is on my second nut's advice. First one just kept repeating the government pyramid at me and was no help at all. Ideas anyone? I'm going crazy here.