Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3500 calorie pound scientifically debunked

This is an interesting read! I'm still digesting it, and more research def needed... But some validation for us who have never believed the calories in/calories out was cut and dried:

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/biggest-weight-loss-myth-revealed

Great article. I agree that the underlying assumption is wrong. But, I am still not convinced you can accurately predict weight loss. It is all still an approximation.

This.

"The biggest flaw with the 500-calorie-rule is that it assumes weight loss will continue in a linear fashion over time,” says Hall. “That’s not the way the body responds. The body is a very dynamic system, and a change in one part of the system always produces changes in other parts.”

I agree! It might work for a short time but clearly my body is proof that over the long haul it simply is not true.

Thanks for the link to the article, it was a very interesting read.

I saw it was posted in the magazine "Runner's World". I try to think of my body is that of an athlete too, unfortunately it is that of a Sumo wrestler. :(

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

That's an interesting article.

I use an exel spreadsheet to track and predicate my weight-loss. According to my spreadsheet, I should lose another 83 lbs by June 6th if I consume 1,000 calories per day. When I used the Body Weight Planner, it says that I will lose that weight by Sep 1st consuming the same amount of calories. Guess I'll find out which is more accurate.

When My Fitness Pal tells me "If I keep eating that amount of calories, I will weigh XX amount in 5 weeks", it's ALWAYS wrong.

Like @@Djmohr said, most of us are proof positive that the " calories in/calories out" theory just isn't true. Our bodies are SO much more complicated than that!

Is there a way to set my fitness pal

For bariatric use?

For bariatric use?

I would love to know this too! I hope so because I'm tired of being "reprimand " every day that I'm not eating enough because I'm doing pre op and consuming about 600 cal a day .

I knew that had to be wrong....right up there with the muscle weighs more than fat argument. I hate that phrase!! A pound of fat, a pound of muscle - both one pound; they just take up different amounts of space.

For bariatric use?

hey - I just found this article; maybe it would work for us with MyFitnessPal

http://www.dryadegar4life.com/using-fitness-pal-weight-loss-surgery/

I knew that had to be wrong....right up there with the muscle weighs more than fat argument. I hate that phrase!! A pound of fat, a pound of muscle - both one pound; they just take up different amounts of space.

Well, or you could say the same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat--a square inch of muscle weighs much more than a square inch of fat. I actually find that concept quite helpful!