Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post op and some issues....

Hey folks..

Just wante some reassurance from you guys...I was banded 11/11 in NYC and all went well...My large port incision is pretty red and sore...Not scary red and sore

just puffy, red and sore..My wife is a nurse and she is not overly concerned right now about it..I am on chewable antibiotics which should help any infection...Also, have had diahrea for past 2 days..most notably when I take in the ultra slim fast shakes..Maybe I am drinking them a little too fast..In my former life I would down a shake like that in like 20 seconds..Realistically I'm now

dininh on my shake for 10-15 minutes but not the 30 minutes suggested...Am I still drinking it too fast...The clear broth, gatorade , Water and crystal lite al seem to be ok but I think I need some calories and protein...The last few shakes were ultra slim fast cappachino flavor which tastes great but had me heading for the safe confines of the toilet...I really haven't ventured out much yet and don't plan on returning to work until wed11/17 when hopefully I;m feeling less nutty...I also have to call my DR tomw and schedule an appt end of this week...My Iron caste stomach which never acted up and supported my year's of abuse is now a mere pouch of it's former self...Any sugestions...........NY LAPSTER BANDED 11/11/04 IN NYC 302.5 PRE 2 WEEK liquid 284.5 DAY OF SURGERY..-18...TRYING TO STAY OFF THE scales FOR AWHILE...THANKS

NY,

Congrats on your banding !! Welcome to the other side!

Yes. Diarrhea is pretty common during that first week for many and the reason is: liquids in, liquids out. I don't think it has a thing to do with how fast you drink anything, it's just the nature of the beast, ie liquids only diet. This too shall pass! I promise!

Just watch your incision, but yea, it'll be sore for at least the first couple of weeks, getting better and better as time goes by.

Please take care to constantly sip and don't dehydrate and walking is the best friend you have at this point. Walk, walk, walk.... good luck to you and have a quick recovery!

My port incision is very large as well. It is still very very sore and still hurts quit a bit. it is still very swallon and hard. I went back to the doc the other day as I thought that I had some infection in there, He said that it was because he had to cut down about 3 inches to get the port in good. I was worried as well.

give yourself a little bit more time to heal as after 3 weeks I still hurt. Doc said it will take around 6 weeks for the swelling to go down.,

I could never drink slim fast without having the same problem. i had diarrhea for the first 2 weeks until I started eating Soup with a little more substance to it. then I could not go to the bathroom for almost a week. But everything is going back to normal now that I am on soft foods,

Give it some time. it will all work itself out. I read about powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder on here. It is great. i drink two shakes a day. Which gives me 40 grams of Protein.

Good luck to you.

Hi NY -- My port incision was sore for a couple of weeks. Holding a heating pad to it would help. The diarrhea is normal. (I posted the same question when I was going through the liquid phase, and was reassured by the answers.)

EAS Myoplex fruit-flavored shakes worked for me; they taste OK and have a lot of Protein. You're right to avoid dehydration and starvation. Get some calories into you! And walk -- even if you're a little slow and unsteady, you'll feel better.

Welcome to Bandland! It gets better.

Sounds totally normal (whatever normal is to us bandsters anyway.) My liquid potty problem lasted several weeks, but my body was telling me it was ridding itself of all that built up toxic waste that had been laying around my colon and intestines for years. After it cleared up, I felt clean and new. Keep an eye on your port though and if it becomes hot or even warm, make sure to let your doc know.

You guys offer such priceless input...Knowing you guys are out there is very reassuring...

NY LAPSTER

Banded 11/11/04 NYC

10/28 302.5 Highest ever

11/11 284.5

11/15 279.5 goal 199 12/31/05