Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else living with a person with mental illness? How do you keep focused on your health?

@@VDB

Thank you so much for your vulnerability in sharing this need. Have you heard of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)? Check out their website at www.nami.com

It is for the families of mentally ill loved ones, providing education and support. Hubby and I are monthly support group leaders and also teach the free NAMI "Family to Family" course once a year (take it if you ever get the opportunity!).

We have a 27 year old daughter with bipolar and aspergers syndrome. It's been a challenging life in raising her. However, we finally found a medication that is working miraculously well for her, and in addition, she met a young man (with disabilities as well) and they got married in Feb. 2015! In addition, in April they were able to move to my mom's tiny house as she had to go live in a nursing home at that time. So...within a few months, we found a great med for her, she got married, and moved away from our home. We had given up home that any of that would happen.

Thus, I am taking this time...every second of it!..for ME, ME, ME! I had RNY on December 1, and am so thankful for it! It feels so good to be able to focus on my needs for awhile, even though I realize, with her mental illness, that things may not always be this good. She could return home at some point. So....I live for today. One Day at a Time!

My faith is also extremely helpful to me, and the support I receive from my church family.

AND yes, my doggies help my attitude quite a bit as well!

I think you're on the right track. I'm glad that you can know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE....there are many who can empathize with some of the challenges you are going through. Good luck!

Thanks for the continuing tips. I work with a faith-based network (volunteer network) and know the mental health resources in the area.

Like many people with mental illness, she is in significant denial about her level of illness. I have encouraged her to reach out via volunteer work and community involvement, but it does not (never) happen. As a psychologist, I know that one's best and worst quality are often the same behavior, and this is true for her. She has fought against being labeled, and has tried to deal with her mental illness through denial. After she got a formal diagnosis, she finally admitted that she had bipolar II, but still is in significant denial -- for example, I do almost 100% of managing the house -- almost all cooking, generate all income, do all cleaning; all outside farm work, pay all bills; but in her mind because she empties the dishwasher, it is an equal distribution. I understand that she does not want to "give in" but the stress level for me is difficult -- she will not accept in-home help. She will not participate in healthy community life, and no one can make her.

Also, thanks for the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill suggestion. I have worked with NAMI for many years, they are a great resource, but have not reached out to the local chapter, which I will do. Great suggestion.

It's a very challenging life, as you know. I'm glad you have much insight because of your profession. So many are completely in the dark when it comes to mental illness.

Congratulations on your weight loss! May 2016 be a better year for you...all around.

Edited by bugsy72

@@VDB

The name of an organization that had slipped my mind woke me during the night: Mood Disorders Support Group, founded 1981 in NYC. Primarily serves people with bi-polar. The website includes links to resources around the country, one of which may surprise you geographically, be able to make solid suggestions to benefit both you and your wife, or trigger some other ideas in your mind.

http://www.mdsg.org/

If your wife knows that you're looking around for options and you think it appropriate to say so, please let her know that there are strangers who care specifically about her and are rooting for a turnaround.

I am rooting for both of you.

It has got to be exhausting.

Even though she won't accept in-home help, it sounds like you are the one who needs that help the most. I hope you can find a solution before you collapse from exhaustion.

Keep us updated on how we can help.

I can relate @@VDB

It isn't easy, but sometimes we just have to ensure they are safe and then be selfish and look after our own self interests....getting healthy and remaining focused on behaviors that support this.

As a mental health professional, this might be obvious to you, but it was a real learning for me.

I was in a long term live in relationship with a wonderful man for over a decade. We didn't fight, but neither of us was living the life we wanted, neighter in finding the intimacy, professional sucess or personal happiness. After losing weight I finally had the courage to force change which in the end... ended the relationship. This was a few years ago and we remain friends.

What I didn't realize until being free of my obesity, and being more distant from him that we both suffered from quite severe anxiety. We had a codependant relationship in the sense that he often comforted my anxiety while he hid his. It was not good.

So, your situation is different, but where I am going with this is sometimes having a chance to understand yourself better helps alot with coping with another. Due to our shared interests in my grown sons, family pets etc I still see my EX alot. I have managed to figure out how to do that without triggering our co-dependant anxiety dance.

As a result, I am finally "unstuck" from alot of things in my life that I was going in circles on before. He seems alot better too, but true to pattern will never talk about it.

I guess any of us with major food/bad lifestyle habits has SOME KIND of underlying issue that we are self medicating for. for me, getting to the root of "why" has helped me alot with successful maintanance.Years of counseling never got me to this because my anxiety was dulled/managed by my obesity, overeating and a partner who somehow kept me spinning in those same circles and thinking it was normal and rational when it wasn't. Highly functioning persons such as ourselves become masters at that and no counselor or doctor EVER mentioned anxiety as my underlying problem, because I don't have alot of the more obvious signs I guess.

Anyway, with the theme of self care being very important I wonder if there is value in seeing yourself, your own issues with food and obesity for what it is... figuring out what YOU NEED to survive and thrive and then answering the question how do you continue living with a person you clearly love and value, but has significant mental health issues.

Thanks all of you. I had avoided posting on this topic for some months, but I finally asked for some tips, and your input has been very helpful

The bottom line is that I can't accept any excuse I can create to avoid finishing this weight loss. Stress eating is stupid, I have come a long ways, and it is time to go the last leg. I think that overall I need to dump any guilt about my life vs. hers -- As Dub says, I have to take care of myself if I am going to help her. Yes, as Cowgirl says, it causes alot of anxiety, although not at the clinical level for me, but this level of care giving is stressful, period.

Great ideas, very very useful to this old shrink.

I'm sorry that you are dealling with this I know somewhat how difficult it can be. My grown son moved back in with me a year ago due to CHF and he is very draining. Do you have children or a relative that would like to come over and spend the day with your wife from time to time? If you live in a large city there should be support groups for Bipolar spouses or Codependents Anon. I've found that the CODA groups to be very helpful. As for intimacy many of the medications that she is taking have contributed to that issue maybe you could talk with her doctor about that. I hope you find some much needed respite.

@@VDB The point of my post wasn't intended to be about anxiety... what I was really driving at is the theme that everyone shared - that self care is SO important. I think you feel that this situation triggers stress eating for you, and maybe getting to the bottom of THAT issue is what my help you on your own personal health improvement journey.

Speaking for myself, I can find reasons to overeat pretty regularly - ha - but part of my own personal transformation is to understand that an find (hopefully) healthier ways to cope.

My example with my anxiety is to point out that I didn't even know I suffered from it until the masks were slowly peeled away....I have had to face this because I was mislabeling my own experience for quite some time...

I also think that there are reasonable ways to be treated - and unreasonable ways. I completely agree and admire your committment to your son; keeping things together for his sake has alot of value. Even so, there must be some "limit" to the BS you should have to endure. I know it is really complicated, but it is like when my son when through an angry period growing up, it was "okay to express it, but not okay to do XXX" sort of thing. Maybe that isn't possible with a person with such bad emotional /mental state but those were my thoughts.

I don't always use the right words, no intention to be offensive or disrespectful to your wife.... I just know that i have to set limits of how people treat me or else I go back to those old BAD coping mecanisms.... they are pretty deeply ingrained.

(I had a very abusive father and anxiety ridden mother and learned my numbing techniques as a child. I picked overeating and obesity to help me cope but didn't even know I had done that!)

@@VDB - My ex was hospitalized twice for suicidal idolization. While she was diagnosed bi-polar, I am convinced she's really a BPD (borderline personality disorder). To see what that horror looks like see: https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Borderline-Personality-Disorder

I worked with her for five years which included taking care of four kids, maintaining my job, doing all the meals and clean up. She slowly but surly closed me out of personal contacts, tried to keep me at home. Toward the end I realized I was being manipulated into virtual isolation.

Getting divorced was not an easy decision...I took my vows seriously and wanted to stay together in sickness and health. Mental illness is just as real as cancer, but leaving a cancer patient seems cruel, and I struggled with my self motivations for a long time.

I realized I needed the divorce for self defense because my blood work was getting worse every physical. My marriage was literally killing me. So I know the challenge, and I decided it was more important for me to be there for my kids for the long haul.

Good luck.

@@OKCPirate - thanks for sharing, a lot of what you said sounded very familiar.

@@VDB Old shrinks make the worst patients? ;-) I try to spend some of my therapy time helping my therapist and give him time to vent. We have similar life experiences that I know my discussion is going to trigger some memories/experiences in him. I want him to last for the long haul so I gladly give up some of my time to let him get clear.

Thanks all of you. I had avoided posting on this topic for some months, but I finally asked for some tips, and your input has been very helpful

The bottom line is that I can't accept any excuse I can create to avoid finishing this weight loss. Stress eating is stupid, I have come a long ways, and it is time to go the last leg. I think that overall I need to dump any guilt about my life vs. hers -- As Dub says, I have to take care of myself if I am going to help her. Yes, as Cowgirl says, it causes alot of anxiety, although not at the clinical level for me, but this level of care giving is stressful, period.

Great ideas, very very useful to this old shrink.

Believe me, OKCPirate, old shrinks know how to fool themselves, having learned from the best of the patients over the years! I am an expert in this! But overall, those things are slipping away, replaced by health and a much much smaller me. I am about to slip under 300 pounds for the first time since 1972.... wahoo!