Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories and carbs

5 months out and at 900-1000 cals. I still keep my carbs around the 25-30 range. Protein 60-70

That is really low for Protein. I was about 1000-1200 calories a day at your point but that was with at least 100 grams of Protein a day. I don't think 50-55 grams a day is doing very well on protein. The minimum my surgeon suggests is 80 grams and that is for women who started out with a BMI of 50.

At 4 months out I was getting most of my protein from food.

I couldn't eat that much that early out and I still needed shakes and/or bars to hit my protein numbers. Don't compare yourself to others. Every journey is different. I was at about 600 cals at 4 months. I progressed my calories in a similar way as Kindle outlined.

I am so totally frustrated ! Maybe someone can clarify for me. I am 4 weeks postop, eating soft foods...turkey,puréed Soup, yogurt, cottage cheese, Baby Bells, etc. I take in about 450 to 550 calories, 40-60 g of Protein and most days drink 36oz Water (sometimes a little more) and I have not lost any weight in 3 weeks since my first doctors apt a week after surgery. I cannot believe I went threw all this and feel like such a failure. What should I do ?!

Get in more calories, shoot for at least 60g or more Protein everyday, but most importantly......drink WAY more Water. 36oz is about 1/2 of what you should be getting. Your body needs water to metabolize fat. Otherwise it just sits there. Adding in one big protein smoothie made with 24oz milk, a cup of ice, a scoop of Protein powder, and Torani Syrup of your choice every day would kill 3 birds with one stone.

Oh yeah, and stay off the scale and read Inner Surfer Girl's post "Embrace the Stall".

It's all so ironic ... All my life I have been trying to reduce my calories to loose weight and now I can't eat more than this and I still can't loose weight. I didn't know Water helps metabolize fat, I thought it was just to make you feel full and not eat as much . I will try both ideas...thank you !

Need some advice on the Protein intake v.s calorie restriction!

So....I was told to stay w/in 500 - 750 calories a day but to make sure I get 60 - 80g of Protein. The problem is, if I stay w/in my calorie range I'm far off from the protein...smh. Now that I'm trying to do more protein (i.e shakes, powders, lean meats) it consumes most of my calories early in the day so I end up going over.

What's the most important? Has anyone else come across this issue? Please help! I'm only 4 1/2 weeks post op.

I don't know.....I am way off. The dietician told me 60 g Protein and less than 60 carbs daily. She didn't tell me calories.

Edited by b17083

I consider Protein as most important. If at the end of the day I am short on Protein but my calories are relatively "high" then I choose a high protein snack. That would be the day it would more likely be a premier Protein shake than Peanut Butter.

I'd rather be a little high on calories than short on protein.

So....I was told to stay w/in 500 - 750 calories a day but to make sure I get 60 - 80g of Protein. The problem is, if I stay w/in my calorie range I'm far off from the protein...smh. Now that I'm trying to do more protein (i.e shakes, powders, lean meats) it consumes most of my calories early in the day so I end up going over.

What's the most important? Has anyone else come across this issue? Please help! I'm only 4 1/2 weeks post op.

Here's the math: 1g Protein = 4 calories. Same is true for carbs. Most fats are 9 calories per gram.

That being said, 60g of pure lean protein will be at minimum 240 calories. 80g is 320 calories.

So, it is possible to stay in that range. However, in the puree soft foods stage, a lot of carbs come along for the ride, and it's not like you want to chew on blenderized poached chicken all the live-long day.

Take cottage cheese for example. Fat Free cottage cheese has per 1/2 cup 80 cal, 14g protein and 7 carbs. Low fat (2%) cottage cheese is 100 cal 15g protein and 5g carbs. The 2g of fat displace some of the carbs but cost you 20% more calories.

Dairy Proteins come with carbs and those carbs have calories.

I like salmon - I'm 4 weeks out as well, and I tolerate meats well (medium rare salmon is a staple for me) and shakes tolerably. eggs (70 cal : 6 protein : 0 carb) hate me all of a sudden. I put nutritional yeast on all kinds of stuff, and it adds to the protein at a rate of (28:4:3) per quarter ounce.

Today, my stats are (905:87:67) - some may say that is too high calorie-wise for 4 weeks post surgery, but I'm a teacher on my feet all day and this feels right and I'm losing inches. It works for me. Your mileage may vary.

I once accidentally wrote a cookbook on low cal high protein cooking, and I am putting this to use a lot lately. But, I also have an eye toward clean eating. Pinterest has a LOT of great ideas. Just search for what you want, like puree protein or bariatric diet, or whatever. TONS of stuff there

To hell with the calories. Get in your protein and fluids. Like I said, I never counted calories, especially when my surgeon's nut laughed when I asked her about it. Eating healthy and balanced is all she stressed. I actually made it a point to get my calories up ASAP. Keeping them low screws with your metabolism, can actually cause stalls and will only make maintenance harder if you let your body get used to running on a super low calorie load.

Like other people said, it is possible to get in all that protein and still stay in that calorie range. But if you are losing, why bother?