Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GoFundMe accounts?

If you are serious about this then reopen discussion about Mexico. There are reputable businesses down there that do a great job. I had mine done in Tijuana in October and don't regret an instant of it. The surgery was $4600 and all inclusive except for the flights to San Deigo. I am hoping to convince my sister to have it done in the coming year.

who did you see dear?

Personally, I think GoFundMe is a seriously abused forum. Unless you have firsthand knowledge of the cause or individuals, you have no idea what your money is ACTUALLY being used for.

Anyways, My insurance does not pay for WLS at all, either. I found a FACS certified bariatric surgeon at an International Center of Excellence in Mexico. He had better credentials, more experience and lower complication rate than any bariatric surgeon within 200 miles of me. I skimped and saved for over two years and paid cash for all but $1000 for my surgery. I put the last $1000 on a 0% credit card that I paid off within 2 months with my tax return. If you want it bad enough you can make it happen.

Your family is being ignorant and unreasonable by withholding their support for a very viable, affordable option of going to Mexico! I received the best care I've ever had, had an easy, pain free recovery, no complications, and even two years out they are still in contact, keeping tabs on my progress. Beats the hell out the US surgeon that created a hernia while removing my gallbladder last month which I will now need a second surgery to repair.

Edited by Kindle

I sent you a private message.

@@Salinagetssleeved

Yes. I used my health insurance that I've payed for the last 25 years and payed a $4,000 out of pocket which I saved up for using money I made from working.

If I didn't have the out of pocket already saved, I would have had to wait until I'd saved enough to have the surgery. Simple as that.

@@Salinagetssleeved

Yes. I used my health insurance that I've payed for the last 25 years and payed a $4,000 out of pocket which I saved up for using money I made from working.

If I didn't have the out of pocket already saved, I would have had to wait until I'd saved enough to have the surgery. Simple as that.

well you sure are lucky that you only had to pay $4,000!!!! I'm sure if you had to pay the $21,000 like most of us, you probably would not have had it done!!!!!! Lucky girl!!

$21,000 for self pay sounds really high to me. My bariatric center of excellence offers self pay for $11,000, and offers financing. Maybe shop around more.

@@Salinagetssleeved

well you sure are lucky that you only had to pay $4,000!!!! I'm sure if you had to pay the $21,000 like most of us, you probably would not have had it done!!!!!! Lucky girl!!

Actually, if you add up the over $15000 in insurance premiums I've paid over just the last 5 years alone, plus the $6500 I paid for surgery in Mexico, I've paid more than the $21,000 you are looking at if you stay in the US. That's more than 1/2 of my annual income, so yes, it's possible if you make it a priority.

@@Salinagetssleeved

Luck has nothing to do with it. I've paid to have health insurance most of my adult life.

And no, if I had to pay $21,000, I probably wouldn't have had it done. And I certainly wouldn't have started a GoFundMe to have people pay for it, either, because it's not everyone else's problem I couldn't pay for it.

Personally, I think GoFundMe is a seriously abused forum. Unless you have firsthand knowledge of the cause or individuals, you have no idea what your money is ACTUALLY being used for.

Anyways, My insurance does not pay for WLS at all, either. I found a FACS certified bariatric surgeon at an International Center of Excellence in Mexico. He had better credentials, more experience and lower complication rate than any bariatric surgeon within 200 miles of me. I skimped and saved for over two years and paid cash for all but $1000 for my surgery. I put the last $1000 on a 0% credit card that I paid off within 2 months with my tax return. If you want it bad enough you can make it happen.

Your family is being ignorant and unreasonable by withholding their support for a very viable, affordable option of going to Mexico! I received the best care I've ever had, had an easy, pain free recovery, no complications, and even two years out they are still in contact, keeping tabs on my progress. Beats the hell out the US surgeon that created a hernia while removing my gallbladder last month which I will now need a second surgery to repair.

do you mind me asking who you saw?

@@Salinagetssleeved

Luck has nothing to do with it. I've paid to have health insurance most of my adult life.

And no, if I had to pay $21,000, I probably wouldn't have had it done. And I certainly wouldn't have started a GoFundMe to have people pay for it, either, because it's not everyone else's problem I couldn't pay for it.

I'm so sorry to hear you feel that way

There is an awful lot of self-righteousness on this forum, I've noticed. I was warned about this, and I have to say, it is disappointing.

Personally, I don't feel it's my place to judge anyone that is trying to better his or her life. Especially if we are talking about potentially life-saving surgery. I mean we aren't exactly talking about starting a gofundme for penis enlargements or fecking collagen injections for gods sake.

I say do what you need to in order to become who you want to be (within moral and legal boundaries of course). More power to those of you that have to be creative to make things happen--you certainly shine brighter than those who think they worked for all of their free surgery.

It's interesting that some who have walked down this path and been the target of mean spirited and judgmental bullies end up becoming them.

If gofundme is going to help, you have my support! I won't take it personally and recognize that your opening a gfm account does not mandate that I donate to it. ;-)

There is an awful lot of self-righteousness on this forum, I've noticed. I was warned about this, and I have to say, it is disappointing.

Personally, I don't feel it's my place to judge anyone that is trying to better his or her life. Especially if we are talking about potentially life-saving surgery. I mean we aren't exactly talking about starting a gofundme for penis enlargements or fecking collagen injections for gods sake.

I say do what you need to in order to become who you want to be (within moral and legal boundaries of course). More power to those of you that have to be creative to make things happen--you certainly shine brighter than those who think they worked for all of their free surgery.

It's interesting that some who have walked down this path and been the target of mean spirited and judgmental bullies end up becoming them.

If gofundme is going to help, you have my support! I won't take it personally and recognize that your opening a gfm account does not mandate that I donate to it. ;-)

thank you so much ???? I'm not saying I'm going to do it, I'm just inquiring

I created a gofundme for an all inclusive vacation to a whore house in Nevada. Sadly they took it down. I guess I'll never go now.

Its a wonderful thing that we are all entitled to our own opinions if we believe a GoFundMe account is not appropriate for someone to set up, when they can't afford weight loss surgery on their own. If honest opinions aren't wanted, then the question maybe should not have been put out there for everyone to see. Again...just MY opinion.

Well, the title says....GOFUNDME ACCOUNTS ???

To me that is a question and a question is seeking answers and most answers are opinions. IMO

Personally I would never give to a GFM account because as some have said, you could actually be funding a drunk, stay at home, dead beat dad. You have no idea what sob stories people think up to scam for money.

If someone wants to start up a GFM account, more power to them, but I personally wouldn't fund someone like that.

I give locally where I have a better shot of knowing where my money goes. I work to hard for it to just give it to someone online.