Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I have good restriction???

I got my first fill last Monday. It was 2cc's which according to my doc is about half way full. My question is how do you know if you have "good" restriction. I am trying to eat about 1 cup of food per meal, but feel like I could easily eat more. I don't get hungry in between meals. I don't feel any discomfort or fullness or anything when I eat. It pretty much feels the same as before. If I continue to lose 1-2 pounds a week even without good restriction, should I get another fill? I am thinking I should feel physically full when I eat. Is this right? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You will never again feel "Thanksgiving full". Our pouches won't let us hold that much. If you are losing 1 1/2 pounds a week, then you're right where you're supposed to be. Are you getting ALL of your waterload in -EVERYDAY? It takes some doing, but that Water helps fill you up between meals. It sounds like you are doing very well with your meals, not overeating, and not feeling hungry. You're doing a great job! It doesn't sound like you need a fill at all. Best wishes!

hello there

Leo posted this a while ago - Thought it might help you.

"Fear of losing the Weight Loss Battle

You won't lose the battle if you are willing to work with the band and do Your part But I can almost guarantee:

·You will have plateaus when you first switch to solids until your body gets used to being fed instead of starved.

·During many plateaus you will lose inches not lbs and finally a larger loss.

·Your loss in the first 30-40 days is a never to be repeated experience so enjoy it Then you begin the long slow journey downward (not upward)

·You will learn the fine art of PB's and what causes them for you is it swallowing air when you eat. Eating too fast.. Not chewing well or too big a bite.. Eating the wrong food for you...and not recognizing the no longer hungry after 1/2 cup (satiation) versus I want to eat more cause I can or it tastes good or I crave (head hunger).

·You will watch your body shrink and will walk a bit taller literally and figuratively... Start slipping into booths in restaurants. Sit in chairs with arms .. Stop worrying about how strong the chairs are...Not having to ask for an extender belt on airlines.. Finding it is easier to and you have more energy to walk / go up stairs/ Clean house and do a million other day to day activities ... Slip in and out of bath tubs where the Water goes all the way around you instead of damming up and it doesn’t kill you to stand up from sitting on the floor ...Wipe yourself easily in the bathroom.. Watch the years fall off your face and drivers license picture .. Go to a restaurant and order an appetizer and still end up with leftovers to take home..

·Go through doubts and several fills/defills until you hit the sweet spot fill level for you.

·Will have to stop several times along the way to reassess your eating habits (I could eat certain foods and get away with some cheating a bit quantity wise at 359 and still lose .. That had to go at 250)

·I have also found that I have to keep reminding myself 1/2 cup of solids 3 times a day only and drink my Water (1 hour after meals until the next meal but not with meals)

·Eat Protein first ..Fruit and veggies second and non-complex carbs last. (Keep the fats, sugars and non-complex carbs low ..Still have them but keep em low).

And believe it or not a plateau that indicates that you need a fill is

1.No weight loss for 4 weeks.

2.You are following all the band rules (8 times out of 10 we want to be able to break the rules and still lose.figuring if we get a fill it will miraculously start us losing without us having to do our part).

3.You are eating foods that are hard and stick in your band for the 3-4 hours not drinking your calories- You are hungry an hour after eating (really hungry not cravings) and the 1/2 cup doesn't stay in the band for 2 1/2 to 4 hours.

4.You are drinking your 60+ Fl oz water a day and not drinking with your meal or for at least an hour after.

5.Once you move from mushies to solids.. As much as possible get your nourishment from food that is solid. If you have problems with it sticking in your stoma.try it again chewing it well..Cutting it up finer or chewing it with other foods to keep it from recombining in your pouch and forming a plug (e.g. potatoes)..

6.Try to avoid Soups and or Protein drinks if possible (if you are able to eat your Protein you will be full longer - some people have tight bands in the morning and cant eat so have a protein drink)

7.Whenever you hit a plateau.. Keep a food diary and log everything, including water, which goes in and measure the 1/2-cup of solids. Mine grew twice from 1/2 to almost a cup without my noticing lol.

8.Try weighing in once a week to begin with not daily. Later move to once every 2 weeks or once a month. When you are losing slowly weight fluctuates daily with hydration levels etc. At least this way you normally will see a loss and not a fluctuate on or gain. Yes the loses are smaller but they are down not up.

9.Measure yourself monthly ..Often you lose inches before you lose lbs.

10.Don’t compare yourself to others.. We all lose at different rates based on age/metabolism/food choices/ activity level.. But we can all lose "

Hope that helps

Aud x

Well, last night we had some friends over and my husband cooked steak on the grill. The first question the nurse asked me when I went to get my fill was if I could eat bread and steak. The answer to both was yes. I tried the steak last night and had absolutely no trouble getting it down. I ate way more than 1 cup and never felt any discomfort. I am assuming from this that I don't have good restriction. (I also ate a baked potato).