Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm doing my surgery abroad so I don't have any aftercare included back home (If I have any major problems I can go back and they will help/fix it for free, but I have to fly to get there). Well, after some searching online I think I may have found a clinic that will do aftercare with me even though I have not done my surgery with them.

I don't know the price, I've just emailed an inquiry to them about it, but they're located in Bromsgrove, which accorded to google maps is only about 20 mins drive from my family's place.

I've been telling myself it's OK, that I've done my research and I have the forums to ask, and that if the worst happens the NHS have a duty of care to treat me, but I don't think I realised how worried I was about this until I found the site. Feeling a lot better now.

I'm glad you may have found a clinic to do aftercare where you live. I would try to set that up before I had the surgery. Do you have a primary care physician who will help you? Have you notified your primary care physician you are having the surgery? You didn't say if you have any other co-morbidities like diabetes, sleep apnea, etc.

No, No and no.

We have GPs (General Practitioner, like your PCPs I think?), and I am registered with my local NHS one in the UK, but as I am often out of the country I very rarely go to the surgery for anything other than pre-travel shots and tests for visas. When I'm actually sick I get an appointment and it can be with any of the doctors in there, none of which really know me from Adam.

I haven't notified them because I haven't returned to the UK yet, but if I get my aftercare from a private clinic I may not see my GP at all while I'm home. If I get sick and am at the doctor of course I'll get them to update my records with the fact as it's important that they know. Doctors in the UK generally REALLY frown on you going outside the UK for surgery, some people even have issues where they've had surgery done privately (non-NHS) in the UK and gone to their GP for simple things like getting their stitches out and been refused. I don't have any reason to think my doctor would be supportive so I've decided to burn that bridge when I get to it (if I do).

I don't have any co-morbidities from my weight. The only other health problem I've had to do with it at all is joint/foot pain, which was helped by some physiotherapy at the local hospital where I am now, but I think my knee problem may have been landing on it a bit too hard when I was crawling around with my kindergarten class in China, which was then not helped by my weight.

I've sent an email and will give them a call after the holdays, my surgery isn't until Feb 2nd so I have January to get details and costs. Chances are after 6 months I'll have another job elsewhere in the world, so I just want to have support while I'm finding my feet and make sure I'm setting myself up for success when I'm away on my own (and that I have a copy of all my medical stuff to take with me out of the country)

There are 2 ladies here from my 6 month class and they had surgery 12/7 and went home 12/8. They are up and about and are doing great! !

I am not sure what kind of after care you are referring to but I have appointments with my nutritionist every quarter for a year, my surgeon the same and the staff therapist twice in a year. Is that the kind of after care you mean?

Hi Perforce, don't know where you are having your surgery done but as a fellow Brit who went abroad for her surgery, I've had no problems with my GP surgery. I had my stitches removed by the practice nurse and then took great pleasure in telling one of the GPs what I had done. Some GPs are a bit sniffy about bariatric surgery (mine suggested Portion Control as an alternative!) but it didn't put me off one bit. In fact, if anything it strengthened my resolve to have surgery and do it my way. Can't wait to waft into an appointment in future looking like a rejuvenated sylph!

Just do exactly as you are told pre and post op and things should be fine. I can't begin to tell you just how great I feel since I had surgery 21st Oct this year. The weight is disappearing nicely - 24lbs as of last weekend and I feel terrific. I am now 179 lbs and am taking it slowly but surely. I am eating plenty of Protein and getting Water in decent quantities. I'm sure that if you find that you have problems after your surgery then you will have no trouble getting treatment on the NHS. Oh, and before I left hospital I was given a very comprehensive, detailed list in English of the op and treatment that I had received to hand into my GP's. I've also had several calls from a British colleague of one of the team that looked after me to check that everything has been OK. She gave me her number so that I could call her if I had any worries.

I'm sure you will be fine but stick close to this site-it is a godsend. Good luck-if you're like me you will just love what you are about to do.