Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shopping at Sams Club

I stood in front of the "diet" shelves at SAMS yesterday...

EAS whey Protein Powder in a big 6 pound bag ($24.88)

EAS Protein Bars

Boost High Protein drinks

Bistro MC Protein shakes

Atkins drinks

Opti-Fast

LowCarb Bars

South Beach products

Slim Fast shakes

Packaging talked about "power" and "body building" and "muscle building..." Well, I guess I'm body-rebuilding...

Have any of you tried the "protein powder" or other items listed?

:ranger:katie

I bought the EAS powder, I did not like it as much as the low carb slimfast and the Atkins shakes. Also I do not mind the ispure, but it is expensive.

Careful with Boost. That is a product designed for people who need nutrution and weight gain. It is NOT designed for dieters.

I like Matrix. I like it because the quality is high, the protein/calorie ratio is perfect, I like the flavor, and I don't have to mix it with milk.

Milk... blehhh

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury is another great quality Protein and you can mix it in anything, Jello, broth, juice, milk, whatever your preference.

Isopure is also another high quality Protein but it tastes what like dog pooh smells like. It's just disgusting.

Stay away from the bullets, shots, and shooters. The protein quality is about the lowest on the market right now. Regarding protein quality Matrix, Unjury, and Isopure are the best and most consistant quality products on the market. They range in quality (scale from 1-100) from 80-100. The bullets, shots, and shooters (stuff in a plastic test tube) are between 4-6 depending on brand and flavor.

I bought the EAS powder, I did not like it as much as the low carb slimfast and the Atkins shakes. Also I do not mind the ispure, but it is expensive.

What flavor did you try that you did not care for in EAS? I've been looking for Vanilla and wanted to try it if it isn't too gross. I like Matrix but their vanilla is actually French Vanilla and I think it's gross. I love chocolate, can't stand French Vanilla.

I have a bunch of De Vinci s/f syrups, blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, cinnamon, chocolate, spice, etc. and only the raspberry is great with Chocolate.

So what do you think of the vanilla EAS?

Where did you get this infomation on the Protein quality?

I did a bunch of research when I was first looking at Protein shakes, probably around January. It really wasn't difficult at first but it got harder to find the information the more I got into it.

Example, the stuff in the plastic test tubes, that is made from collagen. That is the cheapest and most poor quality of protein available on the market today. Sad thing is, even though their quality is absolutely horrible and they use the cheapest raw materials possible, they are some of the most expensive products on the market today. That kind of information was easy to find.

The hard part to dig up were the other details on quality of protein. For example, some companies have a decent product but the raw materials they use to make their protein products varies from month to month. One month it is excellent quality and the next month it is poor quality. When it comes to Isopure, Matrix, and unjury they consistantly have excellent quality raw supplies to work with from month to month.

Protein is nothing but a chain of amino acids. One chain (23 total??) equals one full protein. The reason it is more challenging for vegetarians to get a full protein from a veggie diet is because one veggie has part of the chain and another has the rest of the chain. So they have to consume two or more foods to obtain the full chain. This is just as good as eating meat, no doubts there. But veggies need to know what they are doing before they venture out on a veggie diet. But it is totally doable, it can be done quite easily. I know because I used to be a vegetarian, I'll likely go back to it again.

I think Isopure is beyond disgusting. It tastes like it has a component of pond scum. But I've only tried the pre-mix, I never tried the powder form. I've never tried Unjury but lots of people like it, especially newbies that need the chicken broth type and the unflavored type they can mix with anything. I prefer Matrix but I can't stand their nector line. I only like chocolate. The nector line may taste good but I can't get beyond the stench. Gahhh... With that said, I hear soooo many people that like the lemonade the most. I don't get it, I think it stinks. But lots of people like it.

Bottom line, the worst protein quality bandsters consume are the plastic test tube types. Hopefully they are getting their protein from their diet because it isn't going to come from the test tubes.

I buy my Protein powder at Trader Joe's. The size makes more sense to me as I am now beginning my 5th week since surgery and don't want all the calories that the powder provides. I made smoothies with it and never used more than 1/2 scoop at a time. I am so calorie conscious!!

:)