Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ideas for on-the-go lunches?

In my job I don't always get to sit down and eat lunch. For the past nine months I have been mostly eating variations of the same meal - roll ups. Deli meat rolled with cheese, or vegetables, etc with once ounce of some kind of fruit or veg on the side. I'm definitely getting tired of them which is dangerous because the catered lunches my work provides are looking more and more appealing. Does anyone have suggestions for lunches I can eat while running around or in the car? I'm still only eating 4 ounces per meal and I try to keep it closer to the 150 calorie range.

Hummus, as long as there is no extra oil involved! Made easier with some extremely thin wheat crackers (if your pouch will tolerate it, you probably already know by now whether or not it can) or crudités.

@ Hummus sounds good but is it filling with just crackers?

@@Indieflickers Probably, but the issue is carbs aren't what you want, and may make you hungrier later on. What would you think of little turkey or chicken meatballs that you can put on toothpicks and dip in the hummus (or any other Mediterranean spread)? Even beef Jerky sounds intriguing here.

@ that's a good idea!

Cottage cheese Cups, Greek Yogurt with some trail mix mixed in for substance, chicken salad ( you can make a big batch to last you through the week), Hard boiled eggs (I make mine into deviled eggs), in a pinch I always have Protein bars on hand. Hope this helps a little.

Yogurt, refried Beans, ham or turkey cubes, freeze a Protein Shake and by lunchtime it should be the perfect temp, egg salad with an ice pack...

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2015/08/post-weight-loss-surgery-menus-day-in_25.html

https://www.pinterest.com/eggface/

The above links have provided me with great ideas for all meals, especially ones I need to eat on the go.

Check 'em out and maybe you'll be inspired!

cucumber peeled and deseeded stuffed with hummus

Hummus and celery sticks

Hummus now comes in individual cups

@@Sajijoma @@enjoythetime those are good ideas but it's hard to do anything that requires a spoon when running around or driving - at least it's hard for me!

@@Ashlegal I'll have to check that out. I had initially looked at her site after surgery but she uses a lot of artificial sugar ingredients which I don't tolerate well so I had stopped checking out her recipes. I'll have to give it another go!

Edited by Indieflickers

You might have to find a way to slow down for meals. It is important both physically and mentally to take breaks and eating on the run got many of us into this shape in the first place.

We are worth taking care of ourselves, and any employer that doesn't allow time for meals and breaks, whether formally or informally, sounds like a very unhealthy place to work.

Just my 2 cents.

Some things you might could eat while driving or on the run:

Beef/turkey Jerky

cheese sticks

Boiled pre peeled shrimp

Tyson makes microwaveable chicken breaststroke strips that are easy to eat while driving ( I like their fajita flavored)

Protein Bars

Protein Shakes

Sorry you don't get a chance to sit and enjoy your lunch, but hopefully you will get some good ideas here.

@@Indieflickers

I too dislike the use of artificial ingredients and try really hard adapt recipes that call for them in other ways.

I do use Splenda more than I care to but I don't use it a ton. I am getting more on board with Stevia and Monk Fruit; though I still find both to leave something to be desired.

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LMJ26YG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And it keeps my yogurt, my hummus, my chicken/egg salad and whatever other "cold" foods cold. It also keeps everything really fresh, it is super attractive and I get compliments on it daily. I had one lady ask me "why do you keep your lunch in that pretty purse?" She was amazed when I showed her it was my lunch bag!

@@glitter eyes

Have you tried Krave Jerky? If you haven't, you must. It is by far the most tender, tasty, soft and delicious jerky I have ever had! And I used to make my own!

@@Inner Surfer Girl I agree that it's not the healthiest option but that's the industry I'm in. Sometimes I definitely do get to sit and focus on eating but I never know which days those will be so I have to always prepare lunch as if I'm not going to be able to sit.

@@Ashlegal how do you adapt the recipes back to regular sugar? I use stevia in my tea and it's in some of the pre made foods I eat (Protein powder, etc) but it's been a disaster every time I've tried to cook with it.

Edited by Indieflickers