Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

protein on clear liquid diet

Hey everyone...well I am now on the banded side! I have a question, right now I am in the clear liquid for a few more days. Can I have the Protein Powder in Water, I have EAS vanilla flavored whey Protein with 23g protein. I was not sure if it is allowed on clear liquid but I want to get in my protein for healing of course. After the Clear Liquids when I can have milk, can I drink Protein Shakes or do they want us to opt for actual meat. I am not much of a meat eater so I am afraid I wont get in enough protein. thanks a bunch!

There are clear Protein supplements available, GNC has quite a few, one that folks seem to like is Isopure, it comes in 25 grams or 42 gram bullets. Lots of folks halve the 42 gram bullets and pour it into something like a Crystal Light to cut the taste a bit. Also, your body only can really absorb and properly process about 25 grams of Protein at a time.

Vanilla anything is very likely NOT clear. The rule of thumb with clear is, of course, if you can see through it, it's clear. So OJ, Tomato juice, etc... are NOT clears.

Once on full liquids, protein shakes are usually fine. I liked (and still like) the Campbell's Soups at Hand as the cream based Soups really helped me stay satisfied for longer. Just remember, if there are pieces of veggies or meats in them, you should strain it. Or put it in a blender and blend it smooth. You cannot have meat on full liquids, as meat really isn't a liquid.

One place to try for clear protein that you can add to any cold food items, and most WARM ones (protein does not do well HOT or BOILED) is powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, get it at Welcome to the Unjury Homepage they also have a protein chicken boullion that I've heard is quite good.

Good luck!

Thank you, I will try the Isopure while I am on clears and then move on to using the Protein mix I have when I can have full liquids. THANKS AGAIN! Also, I think I will try those other types but I am hesitant because I don't want to spend $40-$50 on a great Protein Shake then find out that my nutritionalist doesn't want me to continue drinking shakes to make up for the protein...I hope that is not the case.

Thank you, I will try the Isopure while I am on clears and then move on to using the Protein mix I have when I can have full liquids. THANKS AGAIN! Also, I think I will try those other types but I am hesitant because I don't want to spend $40-$50 on a great Protein shake then find out that my nutritionalist doesn't want me to continue drinking shakes to make up for the protein...I hope that is not the case.

You can usually find samples on various bariatric nutrition websites. I know you can order samples on unjury.com

You will have to talk with your nut about this, why not give them a call in the morning and ask? Some say it's okay, some don't, but remember you probably will go back on liquids for a day or two (depending on your doc's orders) after fills so you will be using them to a degree.

Bariatric Eating - Protein, Vitamins, Gastric Bypass & Lap Band Info, Post-op recipes, and Help has samples you can order, as does

Bariatric Weight Loss, Diet Foods, Protein supplements & Bariatric Vitamins, Gastric Bypass Surgery Diet

There are lots of retailers out there and you'll find many links around these boards, too. Just make sure you are getting a Whey or Soy protein and that whatever you buy is not for body builders (usually extra calories we don't want), look for stuff for bariatric patients.