Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering a re-sleeve in the new year

@@Shells_Almost_There

I was talking to my surgeon the other day and this topic actually came up. He was just at a conference of bariatric surgeons and although this was what the conference was about, apparently it came up, and the surgeons were saying that they were seeing a large number of people converting sleeves to bypasses, there is no statistical data on it yet, as studies have yet to be done, however, the fear was that the sleeve may wind up long term not being as effective as thought. The surgeons were all skiddish about it, as many had pushed the band, and that wound up going very poorly long term. Now they were wondering if pushing the sleeve may wind up with a large group of people that years out need to convert to a bypass. Mind you this was just a group of surgeons talking about what they have seen in their own practices. We won't have any real hard statistical data for years yet, but it is something that is at least being talked about. Just tossing in the latest I have heard. Take it with a grain of salt it may mean nothing.

@@winklie, interesting info! I bet surgeons are wary, because there have been those changes of outlook with the band (unfortunately to the negative) - although my surgeon still does the band according to their website. Where I live, very few surgeons were Centers of Excellence for the sleeve, so the list of surgeons covered by my insurance for the sleeve procedure was limited back in 2013. Since then, I think a nearby bariatric center has added the sleeve procedure, so it may have caught on a bit more. Back then, I knew that I didn't want the band, and I was really scared of the bypass. I had never even heard of the sleeve until a friend told me about it - so I ended up finding a surgeon and running with it. I think I would still recommend the sleeve to a friend considering surgery, but I would definitely tell them to join this site and read, read, read as part of their decision making process!

@@Shells_Almost_There

I forget the website, but in 2014 there were 195,000 bariatric procedures in the United States. 100,000 were Sleeves, 50,000 were Bypass, the remainder was a mix of bands, DS, Mini BP etc.

So yes, if things go south for the Sleeve long term, that is a LOT of revisions that will need to be done!

I have a slightly different perspective. I think people with a lot of weight to lose face a somewhat different challenge because it takes so long to get to goal. Getting to goal, skin removal, cute clothes, a fit body gave me lots of motivation to stay focused the last few years. If I were still over 200# I am not sure I would maintain as well as I have.. I have been both a failure and a success. I feel that sense of..it could have been me writing this post but instead I managed to get to a normal size and weight...and by hook and by crook...maintaining.

I have not investigated resleeving but I would ask hard hard questions about success rates and risks. I am suspicious. I would also seriously investigate the DS, the new mini DS. Revisions of any kind has higher complications risk and statistically poorer results. My revision from band to sleeve was the best decision EVER, but it doesn't work out that way for everyone.

My #1 advice is don't let shame keep you from seeking help and support, so kudos to you for making this post!

I am going to ask for the "talk" on this topic at my surgeon's office. I follow their patient support Facebook page and the only sleeve to bypass revision talk I see is people with out of control reflux, a known risk of the sleeve.

@@Shells_Almost_There

I was talking to my surgeon the other day and this topic actually came up. He was just at a conference of bariatric surgeons and although this was what the conference was about, apparently it came up, and the surgeons were saying that they were seeing a large number of people converting sleeves to bypasses, there is no statistical data on it yet, as studies have yet to be done, however, the fear was that the sleeve may wind up long term not being as effective as thought. The surgeons were all skiddish about it, as many had pushed the band, and that wound up going very poorly long term. Now they were wondering if pushing the sleeve may wind up with a large group of people that years out need to convert to a bypass. Mind you this was just a group of surgeons talking about what they have seen in their own practices. We won't have any real hard statistical data for years yet, but it is something that is at least being talked about. Just tossing in the latest I have heard. Take it with a grain of salt it may mean nothing.

I have just recently been sleeved but reading your post I saw myself, going to food for all of life's events, stress, loneliness, happy events ect. Every one says the sleeve is a tool, which I know is true so I decided I have to get my mind right and be fully committed to my journey. I attended my first overeaters anonymous this past week and have committed to attend at least 6 meetings before deciding if it will assist me in my journey. We understand your struggle but I do not mean to sound rude or harsh in anyway, but sounds like you need to get the food thing under control before making the decision for a second sleeve. Sent with kindness

Thanks, @@CowgirlJane, for chiming in. You have been one of my inspirations on this site, and I really appreciate your perspective. I agree with your thought that those with a higher amount of weight to lose have a somewhat different challenge (and would add that for a "mid-life" female, it might be even more of a challenge!). For example,when I step into my surgeon's offices and sit in the waiting room, other clients probably assume that I am pre-op. I will admit right here and now that I've been letting that issue bother me for a while now -- it makes me mad, frustrated, and depressed. I try to not let that pity party last too long, but it is definitely part of what helps me to even consider seeking out a 2nd surgery -- at least I'd be "starting" from a more common point instead of 100 pounds heavier like the first time.

I also appreciate your perspective on education about a re-sleeve process - success rate, etc. It took me years to overcome my fear of doctors, needles, blood, anesthesia, and pain to mentally prepare myself for bariatric surgery -- and then a few months post-op, I had a relatively simple knee surgery that I'd needed for 7 years and was even more scared because my sleeve surgery had gone "too" easily. LOL - So to do it all again? Yikes! I'm going to need anti-anxiety meds and a lot of tequila...and a really soft Teddy Bear. :)

@@LipstickLady thanks for the encouragement! In the few weeks since I wrote my original post, I have taken an inventory of what's working and what has gone off track. I made an appointment with my surgeon for my final post-op follow up (which I should have done back in September but I cancelled because I felt like such a failure). I'm ready to move forward, no matter what that might end up looking like. Also, this morning I watched like 10 exercise infomercials, and it took me back to when I weighed 357 freakin' pounds (my HW ever recorded) -- regardless of what I think I haven't accomplished in 2 years since surgery, I have made pretty big strides towards my goal no matter what.

Edited by Shells_Almost_There

I am curious what you have done. My thought is too big of a sleeve and maybe some sliding of diet.