Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is scheduled for Monday 11/9. I know they pump you full of CO2 to see what they're doing, and I have the added bonus of and EGD whilst inflating my stomach from the inside to check for leaks. Everyone says the gas causes pain, it can hurt a lot, and that walking helps. I have this image of farting with every step! Is there a grain of truth in any of this? Can you burp after surgery?

If anyone is able to share their gas experiences I'd appreciate it! It'll make me feel better!

Yeah.....I'd heard and read all the gas stories, too.

I took 8 boxes of Gas-X strips with me to the hospital in hopes of combating the stuff.

Had my sleeve and umbilical hernia repair done and woke up with minimal pains. Was up walking 3-4 hours after surgery and every 3-4 hours afterwards throughout the night.

The only discernible pain that I ever experienced was resultant from the hernia repair. That was it. Localized to that region only. It also hurt much less than two prior hernia repairs I've had due to not being an open-wound repair.

I never experienced a single gas pain event that I'm aware of.

I did burp some the next day.

I just had my surgery last Monday, my hospital was awesome and gave me liquid gas drops even though I had brought the dissolving strips (they even let me take the bottle home). I had a fair amount of gas pain after surgery and burping but it wasn't bad at all as long as I kept up on my pain meds.

I had none coming out the other end though until like day 3 and that wasn't like constant or bad lol. Walking around as much as possible did help to get it out of my system faster though while still in the hospital.

My shoulder started hurting from the gas pain though around day 3 too but I was also getting used to drinking my Protein as well. I'd say it got almost non exsistant on day 6-7 until I drank something which does make me burp shortly after.

It's nothing bad though and it doesn't hurt to burp for me at least, I usually don't get it too bad unless I try to *eat* too fast and since they added more things to my diet now like cream Soups, pudding, ect I do get it if I eat too much of that.

Edited by AmyML

It took a while for me to experience any gas whatsoever, let alone pains. I think bypass patients encounter more issues relating to excess gas than we do. Today, it really requires some carbonated beverage or something extremely high in Fiber or difficult to digest Proteins to produce gas. It is really a blessing that we don't dump like the RNYers.

I had no gas pains at all. I went in on Thursday. Walked in recovery and throughout my hospital stay. Was sent home on Saturday. I'll admit I had quite a bit of flatulence on Sunday, but no pain. Monday had my first BM. Was fine after that. Regular BM's and no issues with walking or gas.

Not everyone gets gas pains.

I had the same surgeon as @SleevyWonder. (Noel Williams @ UPenn) He uses the robot assist. I wonder if there is something in his technique that his patients don't experience painful gas.

I've never had the trapped gas in other procedures. Generally, it comes out quickly after the procedures one end or the other, no problem. This one was a shocking difference for me. It ended up trapped in the tissues in my side, and I admit, it was excruciating. My bariatric nurse shared that the gasx strips, suppositories, etc are not helpful, because it's not in the digestive system, it's trapped in tissue. So I had several days of pretty intense pain. The recommendation was walking, warm showers, and massaging the tissue as tolerated.

@@BLERDgirl When I went for my first post-op visit in August he told me that he tests the sleeve for leaks with a liquid instead of with a gas. I also don't think we were pumped full of CO2. I think that definitely helped during the hospital stay. He also uses a 38 fr bougie, and perhaps that is the most favorable for not experiencing bloating or pains later on. I did come home with 8 extra pounds of Fluid in me, so I got distressed, but those quickly went away.

@ - Not gonna lie, I pissed like a racehorse in the hospital because of that darn IV. I walked in recovery because I woke up having to pee. I guess it was a blessing in disguise because I didn't have the post-op weigh gain as a result.

Bwahaha when I weighed after I got home, I had gained 19 pounds in fluid! It was insane!

I just had surgery this past Monday, November 2. I did feel a lot of gas pains in my stomach so the first thing I did was walk as much as I can around the hospital to try to pass the gas. I was burping but wasn't passing any gas on the other end until yesterday two days after the surgery. I also had my first bowel movements yesterday as well. Today four days after the surgery I feel almost at 100% due to all the walking I've been doing. Walking is the key, you have to move your body to move that gas either up or down and that will alleviate the pain.

@@BLERDgirl When I went for my first post-op visit in August he told me that he tests the sleeve for leaks with a liquid instead of with a gas. I also don't think we were pumped full of CO2. I think that definitely helped during the hospital stay. He also uses a 38 fr bougie, and perhaps that is the most favorable for not experiencing bloating or pains later on. I did come home with 8 extra pounds of Fluid in me, so I got distressed, but those quickly went away.

I asked my doctor about the liquid leak checks and he said he doesn't do it that way. He does an EGD and inflates the stomach to look for leaks, so I'm expecting extra gas.

My surgery is scheduled for Monday 11/9. I know they pump you full of CO2 to see what they're doing, and I have the added bonus of and EGD whilst inflating my stomach from the inside to check for leaks. Everyone says the gas causes pain, it can hurt a lot, and that walking helps. I have this image of farting with every step! Is there a grain of truth in any of this? Can you burp after surgery?

If anyone is able to share their gas experiences I'd appreciate it! It'll make me feel better!

I didn't have any gas pains after my surgery. I had five incisions all along my waistline. That was causing me a lot of pain. After about a week that pain was tolerable.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I had no gas pains at all. I went in on Thursday. Walked in recovery and throughout my hospital stay. Was sent home on Saturday. I'll admit I had quite a bit of flatulence on Sunday, but no pain. Monday had my first BM. Was fine after that. Regular BM's and no issues with walking or gas.

Not everyone gets gas pains.

I had the same surgeon as @SleevyWonder. (Noel Williams @ UPenn) He uses the robot assist. I wonder if there is something in his technique that his patients don't experience painful gas.

Mine was also done via the robot and I didn't have any gas pains.

I just had my surgery last Monday, my hospital was awesome and gave me liquid gas drops even though I had brought the dissolving strips (they even let me take the bottle home). I had a fair amount of gas pain after surgery and burping but it wasn't bad at all as long as I kept up on my pain meds.

I had none coming out the other end though until like day 3 and that wasn't like constant or bad lol. Walking around as much as possible did help to get it out of my system faster though while still in the hospital.

My shoulder started hurting from the gas pain though around day 3 too but I was also getting used to drinking my Protein as well. I'd say it got almost non exsistant on day 6-7 until I drank something which does make me burp shortly after.

It's nothing bad though and it doesn't hurt to burp for me at least, I usually don't get it too bad unless I try to *eat* too fast and since they added more things to my diet now like cream Soups, pudding, ect I do get it if I eat too much of that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't know why everyone brings gas-x strips because they do not work. Those are for digestive gas. Gas from surgery is not digestive gas. Anyway, I did not have any gas pain whatsoever. I guess it's different whatsoever. Walking will help with whatever kind of pain or discomfort you're feeling, gas pains or not. Good luck!

My gas pain has been unbearable at times. I was sleeved yesterday and the gas has been kicking my butt. I have been walling a ton. I sip as well but every time I sip I burp which is a little painful. Other wise I'm ok