Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last day off before returning to work. Any suggestions ?

@Dub. Even though your low blood pressure caused you to feel like crap- congrats on a victory!! You will be off all those blood pressure meds soon. I am excited for you.

Enjoy your last day off and try to rest up as much as you can.

I work twelve to thirteen hour shifts myself and I know how hard it can be. From the beginning I have always packed more food (protein shakes in the beginning) than I think I will need. That way if I do need it I have my stuff with me. In the beginning I also set timers on my phone to remind me to drink/eat. It was easy to forget in the beginning, especially at work when I was busy. I am fortunate in that I can carry a water bottle around with me. I too walk a ton at work.

As for the exercise, since I walk over 10,000 steps a shift, in the beginning I just focused on rest, continuing to heal, and getting in my nutrition and fluids. That was challenging enough the first month I was back to work.

As my energy came back and I mastered how to eat and drink in a busy hectic work environment I then added in more and more exercise at the gym. It was probably month three before I began to aggressively pursue fitness at my gym. Up until then it was walking and listening to my body.

Wishing you the best when you return to work. You have a great attitude and you will do wonderful. Keep us posted.

@@Dub

Edited by Dub

@@Dub

Can't wait to hear how your first day back went!

It went pretty well........for a while, at least, thank you !!!!

It sure was great getting back and seeing everyone and meeting my new boss. I think we are going to get along great and it is clear just from our initial two conversations that she is right on the money on the big picture in life and work philosophy. I really like her already. I'm very fortunate. My boss prior to her was a tremendous family man, active in his church and very sharp. He had a great attention to detail but I was concerned that we'd lose out with his departure. Man of great moral character. I am encouraged that his replacements has great values and fundamental beliefs as well. Sadly, this isn't a given....even at their level. Again, I'm fortunate.

I hung in there from 6-1:30 and had to tag out and head for the house.

No issues with the sleeve. Wearing a belt sucks with the hernia. It simply went from mildly uncomfortable to "Okay, Haus....time to jet" in that last hour.

No big deal. All is well.

Got a couple long days tomorrow and Sunday and big audit coming up next week on top of the normal fast paced fun.

My workgroup really made me proud. It is quite evident they've handled things well while I was sidelined. Great people.

On another note......I've got a big priority on my mind. Something I aim to resolve in the weeks ahead.

This sleeve surgery was initiated based on the strong recommendation of a spine surgeon I've been seeing trying to resolve a disc injury. He assures me that getting the load off around my middle will allow it to heal. I fully believe him.

The ongoing problem I'm encountering is the complete and total waste of a few thousand hard earned dollars my wife and I spent on Tempurpedic bedding last year.

This freaking mattress is killing me. I slept on it the last 3 nights and it has about done me in. I'm convinced that not only is it not going to offer the support I need at my current weight.....but neither at my goal weight, too.

I'm done with it.

sleeping in the recliner or an older conventional bed (firm) in a spare bedroom until I solve this riddle.

I wish we had have shopped around more and at least gone to the sleep Number store. Didn't even give it try them. Dummy.

I was foolish for thinking that thing would be the "perfect fit" for my big arse and my wife who is a third my weight. I'm a back sleeper and want it flat and firm. She is a side sleeper and likes the give and contour.

I'm going to the sleep Number store next weekend. I can move this Tempurpedic Nightmare into the guest bedroom and be done with this crap......assuming they have something works and not just another mousetrap that is ill suited for the purpose.

Rant over. :D

Dub, my husband and I each got a twin size Tempurpedic and put them in a king size frame. We couldn't agree AT ALL on a mattress and this was a lifesaver. We now both sleep a million times better!

We've had a sleep number bed for 10 years probably. Still like it. I wish they had the adjustable one back then.

Dub, my husband and I each got a twin size Tempurpedic and put them in a king size frame. We couldn't agree AT ALL on a mattress and this was a lifesaver. We now both sleep a million times better!

I can see where that would have worked better.

We looked at that option, too. The one he said was his most firm wasn't much different than the one my wife liked (which he also said was the same firmness as the most firm ??). I couldn't tell much of a difference.

Going with the split King would have taken the price from around $4k to over $7K. We opted to just go with the regular King in the model he said was their most firm. In other words.....she yielded to go more firm for me.......and she loves it....I've grown to hate it.

It's crazy.

I do see the wisdom in having two halves set up like you each prefer them.

We've had a sleep number bed for 10 years probably. Still like it. I wish they had the adjustable one back then.

Cool. By adjustable.....you mean being able to raise and lower the head/foot ????

Cool. By adjustable.....you mean being able to raise and lower the head/foot ????

Yes

When I went for my 2 week check-up, my BP was 90/54...... 115/70 is my normal. The first thng she asked me is if I am getting all my fluids in. I definitely was struggling with it and told her so. She said that even slight dehydration will cause the BP to drop. Add to that a fairly low salt diet.......and voila!

I still sleep On a Water bed at home because my back likes the contour and flexibility. When I travel, I actually choose hotels based on their beds (certain chains have certain types of mattresses). I have a place at the University (where I teach), and the mattress is a bit too firm. My next will be the sleep number where I can adjust the firmness/softness-I LOVE the hotels with those beds!!

Dub,

You are doing great so far!

It sounds like your work schedule is brutal…but you handled it great! If you have trouble remembering to drink enough and eat on a schedule, there’s always the idea of setting your phone to ring to remind you to eat and drink.

About that mattress...sorry to hear it. How frustrating! Is there some sort of Tempurpedic satisfaction guarantee that comes with a refund that you still might be eligible for? I’m sorry. Good luck at the sleep Number store this weekend.

Hope the rest of your journey continues as well or better! Keep letting us know how things are going.

I still sleep On a Water bed at home because my back likes the contour and flexibility. When I travel, I actually choose hotels based on their beds (certain chains have certain types of mattresses). I have a place at the University (where I teach), and the mattress is a bit too firm. My next will be the sleep number where I can adjust the firmness/softness-I LOVE the hotels with those beds!!

I'm going to look into this and see if there are hotels in the area that have Sleep Number beds. Sure would be great to test drive one for a night.

Dub,

You are doing great so far!

It sounds like your work schedule is brutal…but you handled it great! If you have trouble remembering to drink enough and eat on a schedule, there’s always the idea of setting your phone to ring to remind you to eat and drink.

About that mattress...sorry to hear it. How frustrating! Is there some sort of Tempurpedic satisfaction guarantee that comes with a refund that you still might be eligible for? I’m sorry. Good luck at the Sleep Number store this weekend.

Hope the rest of your journey continues as well or better! Keep letting us know how things are going.

Thank you !!!!

Things are going really well and I have no complaints whatsoever about my sleeve surgery experiences.

Work is going okay.....glad I went back over a weekend and have been afforded the luxury of working 6-8 hour shifts vs 13+.

I am very fortunate in so many ways.

If things keep going the way they have been......by Summer 2016 I will feel like a new person entirely......20 years younger and healthy. Lord knows I'm ready for it.

Going to see the sleeve surgeon tomorrow for my 4 week follow-up. Also seeing my primary doctor for a review of the blood pressure issues.

@@Dub I am almost 7 weeks post surgery and last week my energy levels were terrible despite the week before feeling fine. (BP was fine so that was not the reason). I don't think I am ready that I could try to work 13 hour days at this point with or without a lot of walking and I am a little further out than you. Take it easy and let your body guide you as to how much you can do.

Best of luck! I can tell you will be successful at this battle of the bulge!