Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Male Gynecomastia and Weight Loss - Breast Lift and Reduction for Drooping Chest

Good Day Gentlemen, I had Gastric Sleeve surgery in January of this year and have lost 143 pounds and have plateaued which I am fine with. I have gone from a size 46 pants to a 32 and a 3 to 4 XL shirt to a large/medium. I am writing to see if any other men have had any experience with Male breast/chest reduction or lifting after weight loss surgery. I understand insurance will normally not pay for this unless there is a medical issue. I do not have such an issue, I honestly have not had a major problem with loose skin. I have some loose skin on the inner thighs, buttocks and under arms but this is minimal and nothing I really can't live with. My issue is my chest. To be honest with you all, my chest has been an issue most of my life. i was a heavy child, teen and adult and from early on thanks to genetic and my weight have had male breasts. I have always been emotional about this, self-conscious and embarrassed. Always wore tight under shirts to try and hold them in. Now that I have taken this major step and lost all this weight of which I am proud and happy and soooo much healthier. I am exercising every day and loving it, I still have the emotional scars from having large man boobs but now they are loose skin sacks. Sigh. I am going this Friday to a consultation with a plastic surgeon my doctor has recommended but want to put this out there to see if any one has had this surgery and can provide information. Here are my questions so far (Oh BTW I live in Maryland just as a geographic point of information):

1. What type of procedures are available?

2. How long was the surgery?

3. How many days where you in the hospital if at all and what was the recovery period?

4. How painful was the surgery?

5. Did you have any complications?

6. What was the cost?

7. Any other information you may want to share?

I appreciate any information and thanks for letting me post and for being able to put this out there to you all.

Thanks,

Ray

I've researched it in my area and it's about 3-4 thousand. Not bad at all. Lots of videos on YouTube you might check out.

@@Ginnysboy I'm in the same boat as you, once I get to goal I'm gonna need plastics as well. Hope others who have had it can chime in and give some more needed information.

I've researched it in my area and it's about 3-4 thousand. Not bad at all. Lots of videos on YouTube you might check out.

Thanks, 3 to 4 thousand I may be able to do but so far all I have is a female friend that i know who personally had plastic surgery and she had the complete upper body lift and then had breast implants as well and it was 12K. 3 to 4 would be doable but then again it depends on the region of the country etc. Do you mind if I ask where you are located or what state? Thanks for your info!

@@Ginnysboy I'm in the same boat as you, once I get to goal I'm gonna need plastics as well. Hope others who have had it can chime in and give some more needed information.

Daveo, Congrats and Good Luck to you as well! I have plateaued now for about 3 months and am just fluctuating up and down a pound or two so I am feeling it is a good time for me to start looking into this all! Best of luck to you on your journey!

Thanks, 3 to 4 thousand I may be able to do but so far all I have is a female friend that i know who personally had plastic surgery and she had the complete upper body lift and then had breast implants as well and it was 12K. 3 to 4 would be doable but then again it depends on the region of the country etc. Do you mind if I ask where you are located or what state? Thanks for your info!

Gynocomastia surgery is just to get rid of man boobs. An upper body lift will of course be more money. I plan on getting gynocomastia surgery and a Tummy Tuck which should run about 8-10 thousand depending upon your area. You can get free consultations with surgeons. So my best advice is to begin saving up and once you have around 8 thousand or so go ahead and start to make free consultation appointments with surgeons in your area.

Can't wait till I hit maintenance and get these moobs hoovered off. So self conscious...

Can't wait till I hit maintenance and get these moobs hoovered off. So self conscious...

I certainly understand!

Good Day Gentlemen, I had Gastric Sleeve surgery in January of this year and have lost 143 pounds and have plateaued which I am fine with. I have gone from a size 46 pants to a 32 and a 3 to 4 XL shirt to a large/medium. I am writing to see if any other men have had any experience with Male breast/chest reduction or lifting after weight loss surgery. I understand insurance will normally not pay for this unless there is a medical issue. I do not have such an issue, I honestly have not had a major problem with loose skin. I have some loose skin on the inner thighs, buttocks and under arms but this is minimal and nothing I really can't live with. My issue is my chest. To be honest with you all, my chest has been an issue most of my life. i was a heavy child, teen and adult and from early on thanks to genetic and my weight have had male breasts. I have always been emotional about this, self-conscious and embarrassed. Always wore tight under shirts to try and hold them in. Now that I have taken this major step and lost all this weight of which I am proud and happy and soooo much healthier. I am exercising every day and loving it, I still have the emotional scars from having large man boobs but now they are loose skin sacks. Sigh. I am going this Friday to a consultation with a plastic surgeon my doctor has recommended but want to put this out there to see if any one has had this surgery and can provide information. Here are my questions so far (Oh BTW I live in Maryland just as a geographic point of information):

1. What type of procedures are available?

2. How long was the surgery?

3. How many days where you in the hospital if at all and what was the recovery period?

4. How painful was the surgery?

5. Did you have any complications?

6. What was the cost?

7. Any other information you may want to share?

I appreciate any information and thanks for letting me post and for being able to put this out there to you all.

Thanks,

Ray

Just an update to anyone that is interested. I met with a plastic surgeon last Friday. I am in Maryland and in the Annapolis area for those seeking information for this area. The Surgeon is Dr. Luther Holton at Anne Arundel medical Center. I will tell you I went armed with a list of about 25 questions and several articles I printed out. Dr. Holton was fantastic. I liked him instantly, he made me feel very at ease especially when it came time to examine me and take the photos. This is important to people like me who are seeking to have this surgery because we are embarrassed by the Moobs and have been our whole lives. He was knowledgeable and efficient answered most of my questions before I could ask them, and then at the end took my list of questions and went over them all again. After examining me he actually was impressed with how good I looked and the minimal amount of loose skin I have. Originally he talked about doing a couple of procedures at a time which would save me money but after the exam he advised that the only procedure he would advise is the breast lift. This made me feel a little more confident as well that he just wasn't after making as much off of me as possible. He reviewed my options which included liposuction procedures and after doing this we discussed in depth what i wanted to look like and why I wanted the procedures and what I was willing to deal with (more or less scars versus no scars or minimal scaring). I told him I did not care if there were scars or not (first of all my chest is hairy and scars will be hind to a big degree). I also feel that the scars are really an after thought to me if I can get the moobs gone and lifted to the proper place, not to have to wear a compression garment and pull them up into place would be fantastic and a major emotional relief to me. My scar would be shaped like an anchor, it would circle around the areola done the center of my "boob" and then spread out from each side as he then removes the excess skin and re-attaches the areola in the higher position and then closes the incision where he has removed the excess skin. Out patient procedure with one to two weeks off work, have to wear a compression vest for a while but will be able to start showering the next day and do normal light duties except for lifting etc. almost right away. Then we got to the pricing issues, He needs to work up pricing for the procedure as he and his partner are new tot he Medical Center (but he comes from University of Maryland where he worked and actually taught) and need to review which surgical center, anesthesia etc. I am to hear back from him within two weeks or call him if I do not. He gave me a ball park figure of between $5,000 and $8,000 but again that is ball park. It is a lot of money but I discussed at length with my spouse and am encouraged to have it done since this has been a major emotional issue for me my whole life. So I am waiting for the information and will probably have surgery in January or February. He advised doing it in the winter is better to give more time to heal etc. before the hot weather etc. So when I get more information I will post again in case anyone is interested in the information. Hope this helps anyone who is interested!