Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kentucky, "who's your Doctor"

I was banded on Wednesday, by Dr. Olsafka, and I have learned that when they tell you you need to use a Fiber supplement, they mean it. :rolleyes

Other than that, everything is great. I feel good, and I am happpy to report that I lost 15 pounds on the pre-op liquid diet. I guess that means I'm off to a good start.

KYGAL

Hello:

I am in Ashland, Ky and go to Kings Daughters Medical Center Dr Tompkins... I had my band done in August and have lost 23 pounds in the last two and a half months. I haven't even had a fill yet and Dr. Tompkins said he wouldn't give me my first fill until I lost below 1# per week. He would save the fills till when I needed them the most.

I love my band. I have humana Insurance and had to do the 6 months diet with dr supervision. However, was approved right away after I jumped through all their hoops... Guess I was kinds lucky.

Good luck.

KY Girl

Hi All!

I was banded in June '06 by Dr. Tom Sonnanstine at the Tri-State Surgical Weightloss Center in florence, KY. Awesome Doc!

His staff was great. Was accepted the first time (or they did all the necessary paper work and I never knew about it). Insurance was United Healthcare. Luckily....I did already have multiple months worth of weightloss counseling documented at OB/GYN due to back to back pregnancies. Only had to pay the $600 program fee.

Started off 100 pounds overweight, so far down 1/3rd...have a lot more to go. Had 3 months of minimal acitivity due to moving and starting a new job. Had my second fill the otherday and looking to get back on track.

Time, patience and dedication is what it takes!:bounce:

Hello fellow Kentuckians!

I'm jumping through hoops with Dr. Tompkins and Kings Daughters right now. I have Humana insurance and I'm wondering how hard it is to get approved with them? I've dotted all my i's and crossed all my t's paperwork and doctor visit wise but I'm worried that they'll refuse the surgery if I haven't lost any weight pre-op. I'm having trouble losing. (Big surprise there, right?)

:pHey fellow Kentuckians, :( Who is your doctor and what insurance do you have etc.?

I have been to a seminar at St Mary's with Doctor Schuster. He seemed real nice. The nurses where very nice too. I have already sent in my paper work as well as all my medical records. What do I expect next? When will I be able to have a doctor appointment?

I have Humana Preferred and am unsure of how easy it is for them to approve.

I hope someone else om here has that insurance.

:)

I was banded on Aug. 8th 2007 In Louisville at Suburban. I had Dr. David Geller. I thought he was a really good surgeon but I don't agree with his fills & all. (I don't think I get my fills when I need them, i just got my 2nd fill & have no restriction. I live in Elizabethtown & just found a doc. 2 miles from my house & I'm switching to this doc. for my fills & their support group meeting.

I love your quote

Thanks, I feel as though I have fallen off every diet wagon I put myself on and with the band I am hopping it will be easier to stay on the "band wagon"

Good luck everyone

I am Alicia and I am getting banded on Dec. 11th with Dr. Allen at Norton Hospital. I am sooo excited to get this started! I see from the posts on here that he has been good to you all. Tell me, how long does it take to get your band to the "sweet spot"? I am a bit worried about this. Also, I was not required to go on a pre op liquid diet? Should I do this? What diet is it and where do I get more info on it?

Thanks! :help::bounce:

Hey Guys!

I'm a brand new "Bander",11/19/07. I have lost 35 lbs since the start of the process and feel great!

I have Blue cross Blue shield and also went through Dr Osofka's group at St. Mary. To date, everything has been paid for except a 100.00 deuctible! Also,even at the seminar it is mentioned that BC/BS coverage will grt sort of expedited treatment.

If you have BC/BS I would at least look into it.

Hope this helps!!

Hi Leeshalynn. Dr. Allen does not require the liquid pre-op diet. If he doesn't want you to do something then I wouldn't do it. He only asked me to eat a low fat diet 2 weeks before surgery to reduce the fatty liver. As far as the "sweet spot" I can't really say. I went for my first fill and Dr. Allen said I didn't need one yet. He said I was doing fine on my own, and that he really only gave fills if you aren't losing about a pound or so a week. I go to see him again tomorrow, so we'll see if he gives me a fill this time or not. The best advice I can give you is to stay away from what you have been told to stay away from. bread, thick cuts of meats, lots of carbs, that sort of thing. Watch your portion size also. Just because I don't really have much restriction doesn't mean that I have to eat and eat until I feel stuffed! Good luck to you.

<p>hmmmmm.....will he give fills if you want them tho? I would really like to lose a good amount of weight. He told me that he only expects me to get to 170 in 2 years. I dont feel this is acceptable. I want better results than that. I see here that you have lost a great deal since august. Do you feel adequately restricted?</p> I just dont want to have a surgery to do it on my own. I dont feel that it will be worth all this hassle and money to do it on my own at one pound a week. It doesnt seem worth it. Now I dont feel as excited as before. I feel like it isnt worth all the trouble. :( :( :(

<p>hmmmmm.....will he give fills if you want them tho? I would really like to lose a good amount of weight. He told me that he only expects me to get to 170 in 2 years. I dont feel this is acceptable. I want better results than that. I see here that you have lost a great deal since august. Do you feel adequately restricted?</p> I just dont want to have a surgery to do it on my own. I dont feel that it will be worth all this hassle and money to do it on my own at one pound a week. It doesnt seem worth it. Now I dont feel as excited as before. I feel like it isnt worth all the trouble. :):P:(

Hi Alicia. Dr. Allen said I had lost 11 pounds in 6 weeks, so he didn't feel that I needed a fill at this time. Yes he would have given me one if I wanted one. He and I both feel that the fill is a tool to be used when you have stalled out on your weight loss. I don't want to use it unless I have to. I don't have much restriction, but I sure can't eat like I used to!! You seem to be kind of down right now, and I hate to hear that. We all want a fast fix for losing our weight, but lets face it. We didn't get fat overnight, and it's not going to come off overnight. I certainly would rather be losing a pound a week than gaining a pound a week!! For me, it's easier to eat right and control my portions knowing that I'll have adverse reactions if I don't. You do have to stick with it though. If you feel like you won't follow the program, then don't spend the money. I really don't see any sense in that. For myself though it's been a wonderful journey. I feel better physically and mentally. Of course I still have quite a way to go. Dr. Allen's goal for me is 170 lbs. I told him I thought I'd still be overweight at that weight (I'm 5-5). He said that that was HIS goal for me and I could choose my own individual goal for myself. I'm not sure what that is at this time. I'll get to his goal first and go from there! Anyways, hang in there. It really is worth it!! Feel free to send me a personal message and I'll be glad to chat with you give you pep talks!!:girl_hug:

I was banded by Dr. Kaza in Elizabethtown. :) I can do my fills and etc. at his office with the Advanced Surgical Associates of Kentucky. They have recently added a second surgeon. I did my whole process in-house with them. I've had a great great great experience, thus far!

Finally, finally, finally I am approved. Now what happens?? I have an appointment with my doctor scheduled, but what will happen at the appointment?? Am I going to have to have additional test?? How long b4 they will schedule surgery?? How long will I need to wait to return to work?? How often will I need to see the doctor after surgery??? YEAAAA, I'm approved!

PA