Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update on my dilemma

So, my wives new insurance company for 2016 will cover my Sleeve surgery after a 6 month supervised diet. I meet all the other requirements. But I have my surgery scheduled for self pay on 11/18. My self pay price is around 11,200. I have the $ on hand. But the decision I need to make is to wait another 6 months or do the surgery in a couple weeks? I have a unique situation when it comes to my healthcare, I have a secondary policy that pays for all my deductibles, so if I get approved by the insurance company in 6 to 7 months from now I will not have to pay anything for the surgery. Thoughts? Mentally I am ready to GO.

GO.

The one thing I hear is "I wish I'd done this sooner".

Go!

That's a tough one. Yes, everyone says they wish they'd done it sooner. But 6-7 months isn't a long wait. And then you'd have $11K+ for maybe Excess skin removal down the road, or a nice vacation or bills/renovations/etc.

Does what you have already done to prepare count toward the six-month supervised diet? That would be the first thing I would ask because the wait may not have to be as long as you think. It's something worth exploring.

Edited because I hit reply too soon.

I would say that 6 months is not too long to save that kind of Money. My original comment to you in another post said to do it since you were going to anyway. But now that you have a timeline and the possibility is there to save that money, I would absolutely let the ins pay for it. Maybe you can pass the 6 months by making small changes to help you post op? Also, that $$$$$ would be a great way to Celebrate some significant loss with a nice vac a for you and the mrs. Tough call man. Money is money. You can always make more. Wow. I can't imagine having to make this call!

Oh wow! Tough decision!!! I get very frustrated about my insurance. My co pay for bariatric surgery is $5000, but my doctor is working with me on that. By the time all is said and done, I will spend about $8000. I have two kids to put through college, so I would have probably waited if I were you. BUT, on the other hand, I am very impatient and want it NOW!!! Tough decision. I guess it depends on how badly you need the $11,000 for something else.

@ojibway You have to make the decision. I think the couple of weeks you have is ample. It's a choice of what's important. I know you know this, but, sure, ambivalence is a powerful animal.

1) Surgery in November, tearing out of the gate that much sooner; or

2) Surgery [probably] mid-2016 and tearing out of the gate later, yet losing weight until then as you've been doing so far and saving roughly $12,000 between both your policies.

How much does $12,000 mean to you and your family? If it means to you what $1.50 for a newspaper means to someone else, do it now. If the money is significant to you and you're pleased with the rate at which you're losing weight so far, wait for the surgery.

Then, again, my friend.....your choice.

Laurie

I am having my surgery on November 24th (started journey on March 1st). At first I was really upset that I was going to have to wait so long. Now that I am almost there I am actually glad for the time I had to get new habits established. Plus the weight I have lost in the pre-op stage will make my surgery easier.

But, ultimately it is your decision to make. Good luck with your decision-

Marcia

@@ojibway I would sooo wait! 6 months won't kill you AND you could use that money for plastics, a trip...something really nice to celebrate!

I can recommend an outstanding surgeon in Mexico who will get it done for $4500. If you are highly motivated and can do your own research, why spend more, get into a US hospital where the infection rate can be really high and be stuck with a crammed semi private room? I'm just not liking managed care and lawsuit avoidance medicine. I self pay nearly everything now days.

Honestly I would wait the time and use the money towards plastic surgery if necessary

I would say that 6 months is not too long to save that kind of Money. My original comment to you in another post said to do it since you were going to anyway. But now that you have a timeline and the possibility is there to save that money, I would absolutely let the ins pay for it. Maybe you can pass the 6 months by making small changes to help you post op? Also, that $$$$$ would be a great way to Celebrate some significant loss with a nice vac a for you and the mrs. Tough call man. Money is money. You can always make more. Wow. I can't imagine having to make this call!

Thanks! Asking my wife to marry me was easier! LOL

Does what you have already done to prepare count toward the six-month supervised diet? That would be the first thing I would ask because the wait may not have to be as long as you think. It's something worth exploring.

Edited because I hit reply too soon.

I'm going to ask my Family Doctor about that next week! Thanks

I am having my surgery on November 24th (started journey on March 1st). At first I was really upset that I was going to have to wait so long. Now that I am almost there I am actually glad for the time I had to get new habits established. Plus the weight I have lost in the pre-op stage will make my surgery easier.

But, ultimately it is your decision to make. Good luck with your decision-

Marcia

Thanks! My wife said the same thing to me today! My therapist wanted me to "learn" new habits too! Thank you so much Marcia, sometimes you need to hear someone else opinion.

Go with the insurance and save the money for your plastics ... If your going to get them done . That's what I would do