Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pee pee ? 1 day post op .

HI all I was banded yesterday FINALLY .

But was wondering if anyone else had this going on post op ?

Ok this might sound like a strange question but i want to make sure im not nuts.

Im sure its because I am not bringing in as much liquids as I have been in the previous days.

But I have been feeling like I need to pee really bad , then when I go to go to the bathroom i just trickle out a little , Then i'll go walk about some and I have to go more.

Im thinking it might be because my stomach muscles are kind of weak and are not pushing "like they use to " has anyone else had this feeling ?

Just want to make sure its nothing to worry about .

Thanks ya'll

Mindy

You will return to normal soon. Your body just has to "wake up" after any surgical procedure. If it continues for more than a couple of days, I would tell your doctors office.

You will return to normal soon. Your body just has to "wake up" after any surgical procedure. If it continues for more than a couple of days, I would tell your doctors office.

Wow thanks for the quick response , That's kind of what I was thinking.

How soon after surgery can I "Look Forward" to a Bowel Movement LOL

Thanks again .

Mindy

Coltonwade, I had that happen too! The nurses said you have to let your body wake up. I was straight cathetered (one time catheter) after 15 hours post-op. I was in the hospital for a day and a half. Then I finally was able to go 5 hours later on my own! I did have trouble, went, but not normally for a day or two once I got home! It will get better!!!

It took me about 4-5 days. I was worried it would be difficult but it was small because you are just on liquids. You will feel more and more like your old self as each day passes. Good luck!

Now, on your second question, I had to buy a stool softener/laxative and it was about 4 days post-op til all worked its way through ... talk about a tiny rabbit pellet, lol!!! Not much in, so not much comes out!!! LOL

Coltonwade, I had that happen too! The nurses said you have to let your body wake up. I was straight cathetered (one time catheter) after 15 hours post-op. I was in the hospital for a day and a half. Then I finally was able to go 5 hours later on my own! I did have trouble, went, but not normally for a day or two once I got home! It will get better!!!

Thanks Jeannie, I do not think I had a catheter . I dont remeber them putting one in . IF they did they took it out before I woke up .

But im assuming its just from surgery slowing things down.

Thanks again , im not really worried about it now . If everyone said " oh no dont know what your talking about " i would be worried .

Love

mindy

Hi, are you taking the liquid vicodin / hydrocodone for pain? because upon reading the little package insert about a week after surgery I realized that this medication will cause you to retain Water and have trouble urinating...this could be part of the issue, I know it was for me...after surgery (about two days) I had feet that looked more like sausages and was amazed that I actually slept through and entire night without getting up to go to the bathroom...I am usually someone who gets up 3 to 5 times a night (bladder the size of a walnut apparently) Good luck! Take care!

Chris

Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take acetaminophen and hydrocodone and talk to your doctor if you experience

• constipation;
  • dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, or decreased appetite;
  • dizziness, tiredness, or lightheadedness;
  • muscle twitches;
  • sweating;
  • itching;
  • decreased urination; or
  • decreased sex drive.

habit.gifHydrocodone is habit forming. It is possible become physically and/or psychologically dependent on the medication. Do not take more than the prescribed amount of medication or take it for longer than is directed by your doctor. Withdrawal effects may occur if acetaminophen and hydrocodone is stopped suddenly after several weeks of continuous use. Your doctor may recommend a gradual reduction in dose.

Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

Anesthesia and narcotics both can cause difficulty in urinating.

A suggestion from someone banded not so long ago (so the Constipation is FRESH in my mind), get yourself some Gerber baby juice bottles of Apple Prune juice. They are the perfect size at 4 oz each and are 70 calories apiece. Drink one per day, it helped IMMENSELY. I then started eating one jar of baby food prunes per day (and dropped the juice) when I made it to mushy/pureed foods. Good for you, pretty yummy, and not a pill to swallow.

Hi, are you taking the liquid vicodin / hydrocodone for pain? because upon reading the little package insert about a week after surgery I realized that this medication will cause you to retain Water and have trouble urinating...this could be part of the issue, I know it was for me...after surgery (about two days) I had feet that looked more like sausages and was amazed that I actually slept through and entire night without getting up to go to the bathroom...I am usually someone who gets up 3 to 5 times a night (bladder the size of a walnut apparently) Good luck! Take care!

Chris

Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take acetaminophen and hydrocodone and talk to your doctor if you experience

• constipation;
  • dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, or decreased appetite;
  • dizziness, tiredness, or lightheadedness;
  • muscle twitches;
  • sweating;
  • itching;
  • decreased urination; or
  • decreased sex drive.

Thanks Chris, I am taking the liquid. I am only taking it if I have to . I have taken it maybe 3 times since I have been home. I am very Leary about vicodin post op anyway . My mom had a Upper and lower bowel obstruction a few yrs ago . They believe one of the contributing factors was the vicodin she was on a few weeks earlier from her gallbladder surgery .

Her docs said that vicodin sucks that Water out of ur system .

They think she had started to become blocked and the Vicodin sucked the water out of what ever was causing the obstruction .

Long story short, she almost died and spent 3 weeks in the hospital .

So i am very cautious of the stuff. I have been taking some Tylenol.

So I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks again for the info Chris.

Mindy

Anesthesia and narcotics both can cause difficulty in urinating.

A suggestion from someone banded not so long ago (so the Constipation is FRESH in my mind), get yourself some Gerber baby juice bottles of Apple Prune juice. They are the perfect size at 4 oz each and are 70 calories apiece. Drink one per day, it helped IMMENSELY. I then started eating one jar of baby food prunes per day (and dropped the juice) when I made it to mushy/pureed foods. Good for you, pretty yummy, and not a pill to swallow.

Thanks Faith, Although that does not sound at all appetizing right now I might have to give it a try . LOL

the apple prune juice I might be able to stomach but prunes themself ??? I dunno.

Thanks again

Mindy

:)I was banded 1 week ago, I have a hugh bladder capacity-I summed mine up to nervous bladder, mine also started in pre-op and lasted about 48hours. Be aware the other option is symptoms of an early bladder infection. No matter what be sure to take in LOTS of Water. Wether a shy bladder or infection, it's a post-op order.

Good fortune in the future.

:)I was banded 1 week ago, I have a hugh bladder capacity-I summed mine up to nervous bladder, mine also started in pre-op and lasted about 48hours. Be aware the other option is symptoms of an early bladder infection. No matter what be sure to take in LOTS of Water. Wether a shy bladder or infection, it's a post-op order.

Good fortune in the future.

Thanks , If im still having problems tomorow I think i'll call the doc just to be safe. BUt its slowly getting better.

I have more output today than I did yesterday .

Mindy

I had my banding done 7-6 and had to be sent home with a catheter as I could not empty my bladder. My bladder wasn't working well because of the pain medication. If you are not voiding well, contact your MD. It could be medically serious if let go for too long...My surgery was on a Fri and my voiding returned to normalacy on Mon the 9th. Take care!!

I can't take hydrocodone. I had it prescribed after surgery on my shoulder for a rotator cuff tear. I was only in the hospital one night. 6 days later I was back in the hospital for three days with my entire intestinal track shut down and compacted. It was the most horrible thing I've ever expereinced. When I had knee surgery I had to take citrucel pre-op and for 1 week after, and took a milder pain med. Pain meds don't agree with me AT ALL!! I'm not banded yet so I'm VERY worried about this.