Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cleveland R U there????

Hi Forestcat!

Happy to hear things are going well so far. I also had to get the shots to prevent blood clots. Was so happy when that was over.

You've lost 30 pounds so far!?! That is great!!!

I need another fill...have one scheduled in 3 weeks, but might try to get in earlier (he suggested I do this if I didn't have a response to the first fill).

When are you returning to work?

hi terrisch!

I'll return to work next Mon, the 12th. The 30lb weightloss is all pre-op. 20 lbs during the 6 month diet that cigna said I had to do, and 10lbs on the 2 week pre-op Optifast diet.

My parents came by this evening, and my dad said as soon as I feel up to it they want us to go out to dinner with them....so I have to think about how to handle that. (I have only told them I've had hernia surgery) I hope I can put it off until I'm off mushies and on to soft foods. At least then I can get a baked potato and cooked veggies or something. Is salad allowed on soft foods?

I hope you can get an earlier fill. I would think the Dr would say ok - it's been a month since your last one, right?

I'm venturing out tomorrow to do some errands - even though I've enjoyed staying inside all snuggled up with my cats!

Hi-

How are you doing w/getting enough fluids and calories in? I ate cream of wheat mixed/thinned w/jelly and diet margarine, that helped during those first couple weeks post op!

thirty pounds is awesome regardless of how you did it!! That is wonderful.

Are you pretty much pain free now?

I was able to tolerate everything when I moved on to soft food. I guess I just don't have much swelling around my band. My post op visit and first fill were both a little late b/c Ben-Meir was on vacation. He told me at my first fill a couple weeks ago that I should come back earlier than a month if the first fill didn't help. It is just really tough to find a time that works with my work schedule. Will let you know what happens.

Terrisch

Hi All -

I went back to work today. Other than being tired, it went well. I haven't been watching my calories, and I have to start because I don't think I'm getting enough. I'm out of Optifast so I started drinking Atkins Advantage, and I'm having cream Soups or pureed soups, SF hot chocolate and Decaf coffee. Oh yeah - and water!

terrisch and sbee - how are you doing? How many fills have you had? Has there been any foods that you can't eat at all? My first fill won't be until the middle of December. terrisch, you mentioned having an issue with scheduling your fills - does the Dr's office only do them on certain days or certain times of the day?

I'm counting the days until I can feast on mashed potatoes and cream of wheat!

Hey Forestcat!

Happy to hear things are going well so far. I was able to tolerate thinned cream of wheat one week post-op. I forget who told me it was fine to try it, but if you think about it, it is the same consistency of pureed Soups.

There isn't anything that I haven't been able to tolerate so far. I have to be careful not to eat too quickly, esp when I am hungry, b/c I do get that stuck feeling. But in general I apparently don't have much swelling around my band.

Still have only had one fill; was told it usually takes a minimum of 2-3 fills before I will notice a difference. I get my second fill on Friday...can't wait! I think they do fills on friday mornings, at least it seems like it. But maybe it is b/c I request Fridays???

Carnation instant Breakfast is good too...have you tried that yet? It is pretty inexpensive, which is a bonus. Just mix w/skim milk.

Terrisch

Hey Forrestcat and Terrisch,

Glad to hear you both doing well. I had my first fill last week but don't notice a difference yet in feeling full. However I am staying full longer. My second fill is the 5th of December, if not sooner(My doc said to come back in 2weeks if I'm not seeing results). When is your Terrisch?

Forrestcat, 30 pound is 30 lbs. Although I do understand why you feel that way. When people ask me how much I lost I tell them from my surgery weight and not my pre-dieting weight. But still be proud of your accomplishments.

Have any of you made any mini-goals yet or had any milestones???

Talk to you soon

terrisch & sbee -

I officially started mushies today. I've had mashed potaotes, "smooshed" green Beans, and applesauce - along with a few Protein drinks. It was great to eat and I didn't feel over full or like I needed to stop eating - but I made sure not to eat more than a cup. Were you guys able to eat as much as you wanted, or did you keep your portions very small? Were you able to eat any pureed meat?

terrisch - how wonderful that your sister said you looked younger AND thinner!!!! What more can we ask for?? :)

I haven't set any mini goals or passed any milestones yet, but now that I think about it - getting off my BP meds and getting under 200 lbs would be the 2 things I'd pick.

Do either of you have any issues with Thanksgiving? Like family urging you to eat more, or being food police? Most of my family is going out to eat for T'giving dinner this year - which has NEVER happened before. There is just so much going on in my family - illness, divorce, high risk pregnancy - to name a few, and no one has the energy or time to do the whole big meal thing. So I think I'll be able to politely decline the invite to go out to eat, and then just get together with them afterwards.

Now I think I'll try some Cream of Wheat......:hungry:

Forestcare....mushies, yum!!

I think you have a good plan for thanksgiving. I have a big family and don't think anyone will notice how much I eat, so I think it'll be safe.

sbee...I had the same experience, no significant change w/the first fill and doc said to come back early if that was the case. So I went back today (about 3 wks after my first fill) for my second fill. surprisingly I lost 5 pounds in the past 3 wks (total of 21 # since August). I am shocked that I lost...thought I gained for sure!! :whoo:

Anyway, I got another fill and I can tell with this one, at least so far. Just in time for thanksgiving.

Was talking to another woman in the waiting room who is one yr out (and 70 pds lighter). was so encouraging!

Am craving a glass of wine, but have to wait since i just had dinner. :rolleyes

Hello terrisch and sbee -

I'm still enjoying the mushies. But I still feel like they pass through my band very quickly because I get hungry soon after I eat. Did either of you feel this way? I'm pretty sure it's not head hunger because my stomach is growling. Yesterday I started shaking when I was feeling hungry - which has happened to me pre-band due to low blood sugar. So I'm going to be extra aware of getting more Protein, and mention it to the Dr if it keeps happening. Plus yesterday I was the most active since my surgery - we were painting our dining room, so maybe I was using up my fuel quickly.

How are your fills feeling? On a scale of 1-10, how much restriction do you feel you have?

I have to go to my PCP on Tues for a BP check, then on the 27th I see the surgeon for an incision check. terrisch - I know I have to see the nutritionist at this appt too...how long will I be there? And am I supposed to take anything with me, like a food diary?

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

Hi Forestcat

Yes, I was definitely getting hungry by my first follow up appt w/the surgeon! Increasing your protein:carb ratio should help decrease your risk of reactive low blood sugars. I've had intermittent problems like that before too. To be honest, Forestcat, I was able to tolerate regular food a few wks after surgery just as long as I chewed it well. It was easier for me to get in Protein that way.

That first appt took maybe 1-1.5 hrs. Not too long. I don't think they were expecting any records, but you do fill out a sheet which asks details about how much Fluid, Protein, calories you are taking in, and symptoms. The dietitian reviews it w/you. There was one other person there who also had a band; we met w/the dietitian at the same time.

I had my first experience w/PBs tonight! Not pleasant. Went to Red Lobster and had salmon, which was a little dry. I didn't puke, but it really felt stuck and I wanted to throw up but couldn't and didn't (thank goodness!). I got up and walked to the bathroom and stood in a stall for a while, burped as much as I can. I can definitely tell I had a fill this time, unlike the first fill! Not hungry for Breakfast anymore (Ben Meir said this would happen b/c the band is most tight in the morning). So I'm back to coffee w.protein powder only (was eating Cereal before the fill).

Was warned that turkey frequently gets stuck too...will have to be careful!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi again

Just found out from some other posts on this website that left shoulder pain is a complication of the band...I thought I injured myself! It has definitely been worse and more frequent since my fill. It really hurts. Anyone else dealing with this?

Hi!

I'm glad that Thanksgiving is over and people won't be pushing food at me for a few weeks - until Christmas. We went to my parents house for dessert last night, and I did have a teeny slice of my sisters unbelievably delicious apple pie, and 2 bites of a cookie.....but this was due to me not telling any of them that I had band surgery. Of course I enjoyed eating them, but I really could have declined, but didn't want to raise suspicion. I feel so conflicted when I'm around my family - and have come to the point of almost telling them, but I'm pretty sure what would happen, and I don't want to ruin my good feelings about what I have done. I'll take it day by day......

Terrisch - how scary about the salmon getting stuck! Did you feel like you couldn't breathe?? Or was it basically only the stuck feeling? (well I don't mean ONLY the stuck feeling, like it was nothing!) I'm wondering what it feels like, but I guess it's like child birth - you can describe it to somebody, but until they go through it themselves - they will never REALLY know!

sbee - how are you doing with your fills? Have you had any PB's or stuck feelings? How are you feeling in general?

Now we're painting our living room - so I'd better get back to work. Break time is over!

Hi-

Forestcat, happy to hear you made it through Thanksgiving! I am impressed w/your restraint with the Desserts. And with painting over the weekend holiday. I SHOULD be doing that!

I had even a worse experience this morning than the salmon incident. THe surgeon warned me about turkey at my last fill (it is drier than other meats). He also told me that my band will be tightest in the morning. Well, I had a small piece of leftover turkey this morning. Chewed it well. Was fine for about 15 min, but then the pain started and would get worse in waves. Oh, it was awful! I did feel like I had trouble breathing and kept pacing, hoping it would pass (thank goodness I was home when this happened). Eventually I threw up some mucus, and felt so much better afterward. First time for that, and hopefully last time!

Made lots of veggies for thanksgiving to help balance out the calories in the meal. How did others do w/the traditional thanksgiving fare?

Hi terrisch!

Oh my gosh - your last stuck episode sounds awful! I keep reading that it takes a lot of trial and error to know what/when you can eat....and I'm thinking it sounds better to just throw up than be "stuck". I'm a bit claustrophobic, and the thought of having difficulty breathing is really scary. But I've never heard of anyone choking to death, so hopefully I won't panick too much! :nervous

I've decided that I will concentrate on eating mostly Protein this week, along with some vegetables. I did the Atkins diet for my 6 month insurance requirement, then the Protein drinks 2 weeks pre-op, and mostly Protein Drinks 2 week post-op, and now that I'm on mushies I'm eating some carbs - I'm having dizziness and shakiness. So probably the Soup, crackers, cream of wheat, applesauce, etc, are affecting me in a bad way. Carbs are what helped me become morbidly obese, and I CRAVE them like crazy - so it's time to kick them to the curb again.

I have my follow-up appt with the surgeon this Tues, plus have to see the nutritionist - so I will ask their opinion.

Do you think you will want another fill in a month or so? Or is it too early to tell?