Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions! Presurgery odds and ends

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the good advice so far. I have my surgery scheduled on August 23. I have a few questions now that it's almost "go time".

1. The breathing tube/catheter..... Is this done while your asleep? Placed and removed? I hope so. How bad was it?

2. Alcohol- I'm a social drinker, and I have a few trips comming up this fall after my band with a drinking crowd. Does alcohol affect you differently with a band? Lower tolerence? Vomiting? I'm not going to blow it out, but do hope I can have a few drinks with friends.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mermaid,

When I had my surgery on 7/11 I was VERY concerned about the breathing tube being inserted while I was awake or wose yet me waking up with it in my mouth. My understanding is the procedure depends on the person but mostly the tub is inserted while you are already put out. Also unless you are not breathing on you own, it will be removed before you wake up. My best advice to you would be to talk to your anthesiologist (sp) in pre-op beforehand and voice your concerns. It's what I personally did, and mine was very understandable about my concern. I just knew if I woke up with it in my mouth I would automatically panic! She was great though, and told me that as long as I was breathing as I should she would definitly have it out before I woke up and she was right! I wouldn't of even known I had one in if it wasn't for the scratchy throat afterwords.

I also was lucky enough to not have to be catherized. I've been told that if they would of done it, it would of been while I was asleep. My surgeon's office was very specific in that I wasn't allowed to have ANY Water after midnight the night before my surgery. I'm sure that had something to do with not needing to be cathed. I'd ask your surgeon about it though, I'm sure everyone has different practices.

As for the alcohol, I'm not so sure what the effects would be on us that have been banded. I'm going assume that it wouldn't be as dramatic as someone whose had the RnY, just because it is liquid and would go right threw. At the same time it might take longer to absorb. This is just my guess though, someone whose actually been able to drink probably knows better then me! LOL

Good Luck with everything!

Although I have not been banded yet, It is my understanding that your tolerance for alcohol will be a lot lower than it was before the surgery.

Thanks for the responses guys! I will add those to the questions I have for everyone at my pre-op visit. NO catherter? Wow, I just assumed I'd have one. I hope not. The thought of that sends chills through my body. I guess I've just realized that, "Hey, this is really gonna happen now". So I have to get prepared. I'm so excited. How was ur recovery strawberry?

Mine has actually been pretty easy. From what I can tell I'm really lucky LOL But I'm not one just to sit and heal, I'd rather be up and moving. Honestly that's what made me feel the best after surgery. It hurt more for me to be laying in the hard hospital bed then to be up walking. I also didn't like the feeling I got from taking my pain meds, so I took them when I was in pain but as soon as it subsided, stopped! When I do start to feel a little uncomfortable I sit with an ice pack on my stomach.

Just remember to do everything your docter says and I'm sure you will do GREAT!

I went out and had a drink last nigyht without trouble you do feel it more and just try a drink that doesnt have alot of volume, like, wine, or my fav captain morgans and a splash of diet coke, then I stir it till all the bubbles are out :)

The breathing tube is put in while you are under. The only hard part is the sore throat that may follow. I had no catheter. As far as the alcohol goes, you may feel tipsy from it easily if you have lost any weight. Other than that just try and avoid beer or carbonation. Have fun.

The tube put down your throat is put down while your asleep, the only time they are put in while you are awake is if your in the ER and about to die from breathing problems. (trust me, I'm a nurse in an ER, we don't even like to put one in while someone is awake, only if it's life or death and lapband surgery is elective). Please talk to your anethesiologist about it the day of surgery and make sure they know your concerns. FYI, they give you medications thru your IV so you have no idea or memory of what is going on prior to putting you all the way under. I even went as far to ask the anesthiologist what types of medications they planned on using. I give many of these meds in the ER for emergency situations and have some I prefer the results of.

As for the catheter, you will have one, if you have surgery in a US hospital. Last thing they want is you peeing in the OR or anywhere near the surgical field. Talk to your surgeon, maybe if the doc is really quick and you tell him your concerns, they'll work with you.

The US hospitals really want you to have a good expierence and want you to tell your friends how well it went, so if you or your friends need to go to a hospital, you'll go back to them. Love that almighty dollar. (I have no expierence wit hospitals in Mexico, so I don't know about them).

Hi mermaidpuppy!

I also have a surgery date of Aug. 23! I have a wedding to attend in Napa Valley and had concerns of alcohol comsumption as well. Especially my favorite.......champagne. The dietician that I have seen recommends that I NEVER consume ANYTHING carbonated......so my heart is heavy that I will miss our pizza and champagne nights!

Being that our surgeries are scheduled the same day....would you be interested in keeping in contact?

~Best of luck to you!