Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many of you have a VG band?

I met with my surgeon on Friday. he was explaining the differences between the bands and the sizes. I asked about the VG band. He said he wasn't currently using them, but plans to switch to them in September. He said that VGs are a "low pressure" band and the possibility of the band breaking or leaking are much higher in a high pressure band. It's also harder to get the saline into the port. He was switching because he felt the VG band was a superior product with less chance for problems, and a little more advanced. He also said that travel or changes in pressure in the cabin of an airplane would be less of an issue with the low pressure band. I told him I was considering having my surgery in September, and said, "Hey, you can be my first VG patient". He has never lost a patient and comes HIGHLY recommended. Despite that, I'm a bit nervous being his guinea pig, regardless if he feels the VG band is safer. what do you think? He's been doing bands and bypass for 9 years. I'm sure he's competent, I'm just insecure.:)

Are you in the US? If so, I'm interested that a surgeon would just now be placing VG bands. The newest band released in the US by Allergan (currently the only Band supplier in the US) is the AP band. It was released for use by US surgeon's at the ASBS conference in mid June. Most surgeons are now going to the AP band, the VG band has been out and being placed for quite some time now.

Are you certain he didn't mean AP?

Yup. He said VG band. Should I be worried? Now I don't know what to think. Should I tell him I want the old one? what should I do?

If you are comfortable with him and are confident in him as a surgeon, then I'd just let him make the judgement when he's in there. The VG and the AP both have the "Omniform" technology that means there are more like little baffles all the way degrees around the inside of the band (I think I've read someting like 280 or 300 degrees for the VG and a full 360 for the AP). A good thing they say.

I'm just kind of surprised that he says he's going to start using the VG when it isn't new, the AP is. That's all.

Of note, have you gone to the Allegan site (lapband.com) and the ASBS site (asbs.org) and checked to see if he's Allergan approved and a member of the ASBS? Just a couple of things to do. If your ins. is paying for you to go to him, then you may be stuck.

P.S. I was my surgical practice's first AP patient, and my surgeon is probably one of the least experienced in that practice at around 50 bands. But I felt VERY comfortable with him placing my band because of how he answered all of my pointed questions about his stats and what surgical technique he uses, etc. I don't think it's so bad to be the "guinea pig" at all! :confused: When I went for my post-op check the nurse told me congrats for being the first AP, things looked good and that the practice is moving to all AP bands in August.

The day i had surgery was also the 1st day my dr. used the ap band. I really didn't know much about it but am glad that i have that band. I dont get my first fill until july 3oth...right now i am eating like normal and feeling great...no restiction yet. I would ask your surgeon about the ap band..it is possible he meant the ap band and said the wrong thing...like when you get your kids names mixed up!!