Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op diet body and mind changes

Seems like as I get nearer to my surgery date on the 26th, the more of a roller coaster ride I feel like I am on! Things people say to me I am more sensitive too, especially my wife. I'm not sleeping well either. Since they had me stop taking nsaids I've been wracked with pain. I've been taking Naproxen for 10 plus years for arthritis and now to just stop. And I've made some stupid decisions with money as well. As i sit here and think about things it makes me wonder what is in store for me after surgery. The first month restrictions are pretty similar to prep diet it appears, so i am wondering if this emotional roller coaster will continue. Can anyone share their experiences?

@@retzlpa,

What you are experiencing is normal. It is the anxiety leading up to surgery day. You may also experience emotions for a short while after surgery as you muddle your way through. The important thing to remember is that this really is temporary.

I too suffer from severe arthritis and had been on NSAIDs for many many years before my bypass. I have psoriatic arthritis. Ask your doctor for something if the pain gets too bad to tolerate and Tylenol doesn't do the trick. Once you get through surgery and begin losing, you will be able to move around more. As you know getting moving is the hardest but the best thing for those of us with arthritis.

After surgery I found that Tylenol actually worked very well when I was up and moving. I slid a little backwards on the pain front these days following a recent spine surgery I had. It has been hard to get myself moving like I did between bypass and spine surgery.

Now I get to have another back surgery on Nov. 16th which will set me back again. Ugh!

I'm scheduled for the 26th too! I also am freaking out. I finally calmed down today but my thoughts are so scattered. I have arthritis and had to give up my anti inflammatory meds. I had horrible pain at first but that is sort of calming down now. I don't know answers for the post op but it seems like everyone on this site has experienced the same pre op sort of things. I know I am. I thought I broke my computer and rushed out and bought a new one yesterday. I returned it this morning because my neighbor said, look I can fix this. I said, no it's as dead as a door nail. She fixed it in 60 seconds. I didn't even think to take it to be repaired! All of the people I chat with or follow say it really does get better post op. There is some physical healing that goes on in the beginning of course, but I'm ready to face it. I'm finally having this surgery because my knees are going downhill really fast. I went to my pain management doctor and he told me, you will be on morphine and in a wheel chair within a couple of years if you don't go have gastric bypass now. I started talking about some new diet and he said, no more diets have the surgery.

I don't want a wheelchair or morphine, so I'm going to the hospital on Monday with a smile on my face. I hope it helps you in some way to know that a lot of people have gone through the steps you are taking and they came out really glad they did it. And saying that it was all worth it.

All of the stress of life and preparing for surgery has caught me in a discombobulated brain function. I have been in so much pain, then tonight as I was talking my nighttime meds I realized I hadn't put my oxycontin in the daily containers since sunday......no wonder I have been miserable, let's see if that makes a difference tonight!

Oh bless your heart! You will certainly feel better in the morning.

Much, much better night last night, whew what a relief it was to find out it was a mistake I made and not pain I would have to continue to experience. In hindsight I should have noticed I felt ok during the day after taking morning meds, then by 6pm I started aching in my joints and it got worse as night went on. Anyway, I'm glad I noticed it!

I'm glad it was that too. Are you feeling ready for Monday? I'm so weird. I have still been all over the place emotionally but I feel sort of resigned to it now. All of my plans are set and I'm just straightening up around the house and making sure I have Protein Drinks, Clear Liquids, etc. for when I get home. Maybe I still have a few frenzies left in me. Lol. I'll see. I'm ready to move forward!

I am so ready for Monday, it cant come soon enough. I am havinga bit of a freak out fest on occasion though. I realized I had gotten regular Vitamin B12 instead of sublingual, so that meant a trip to GNC, that ended up being a 200 dollar trip! I got more Protein Powder, a unflavored and a Peanut Butter flavor. The peanut butter is pretty darn good! I use the GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60, mixed with Water is yucky, but I use Soy or Almond milk, vanilla flavored and they are good. My wife hasa shake every morning for Breakfast now so we also got a peppermint flavor. Im sure I wont sleep muchtonightor tomorrow though.

I haven't been able to sleep much the last few nights. I don't suppose that will change between now and Monday. Peppermint shake sounds wonderful! Is it GNC brand?

Yes, it's the same GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60.

My surgery is Monday 11/2. I stopped my NSAID meds a few weeks ago. It was hard at first but got better with time. I guess I've been shopping more too. I guess if I don't have food to comfort me I must be self-soothing by shopping. I better watch that in the future.