Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Resistance work with a bad shoulder?

I realize the importance of resistance work in a sound fitness program, but since the last time I consistently did a resistance program, I've developed arthritis in my right shoulder, and I have some impingement in it as well. I'm a female in her early 60's.

This means working overhead is pretty much out, and depending on the day, push-ups are out, too.

Suggestions, anyone? I'm thinking I can handle planking pretty consistently. Extra points for things I can do without driving to the gym. I do have free weights at home. I really want to ditch the excuses and get something started.

Thanks!

About 6 weeks ago on a whim I got a Bodygym from QVC. I never buy anything from there...just figured it was worth a try.

Best thing ever. I'm not kidding. I use every day. My muscles have muscles, lol. Noticed a big difference in three weeks.

I'm in New England so I wanted something to keep me going when the snow piles up. (Besides shoveling of course). I hate going to the gym, but I know I will. But I'd rather use that time on the treadmill for cardio when I have to move my exercise in doors.

I'm 53 by the way. Have had two shoulder surgeries myself. No issues.

Have you been to PT for your shoulder? If not, I would consider doing that because they can help you with the correct motions. Having had 4 shoulder surgeries myself, I know that certain movements can do damage. Impingement can lead to tears if you are not careful (and sometimes even if you are). You should be able to do bicep curls and tricep extensions without too much issue. You likely can do chest press too, but just be sure your hands are positioned far enough apart to work your chest only and not stress your shoulder. Also rows would be good to strengthen your back and shouldn't stress the shoulder. I would be careful with the planks and pushups. I did those as rehab to surgery but it really hurt prior to. Other than that, try and focus on your lower half - lunges, squats, etc. BUT walking is one of the best things you can do for the weight loss and for your heart. :D

Good luck!! Don't make that shoulder worse and don't stress about the exercise. Do what you can and it will work!

Impingement can lead to tears if you are not careful (and sometimes even if you are).

Funny thing about that. I had surgery in my 40's for what turned out to be 3rd degree impingement on the left. I didn't have symptoms from the shoulder, but had trouble on an off in my upper back and neck from accomodating for it. Finally the tendons started shredding and I had actual shoulder pain. I had to have 11mm ground off the end of my clavicle where it was hooked over the top of my humerus. Despite that, I'd been a gymnast and a windsurfer. Yup, picked all the wrong sports!

I have gotten advice about the shoulder - I did have a slight tear about seven years ago from overdoing in Water aerobics while I had bad back trouble. The tear is all better, and I no longer live where I can do Water aerobics five times a week. The arthritis is, of course, better some days than others.

@@2goldengirl - Wow! Gymnast and windsurfer! How cool! I a not that brave. I have had the A/C reduction also on my right shoulder (and bone spurs removed and capsule shift as shoulder was dislocating). Took 3 surgeries. Wrong dr the first 2 times obviously. I was 32 at the time and had pain in that shoulder since I was 19. Appeared to just be some sort of genetic thing because I was never a sports participator. Then about 5 years ago I had a rotator cuff tear on my left shoulder which had to be repaired. Again, no specific injury so they don't know what caused it other than the bone spurs which they removed / reduced. Good news is I mostly have no issues now. I have noticed with weights and certain machines I have to shift the way I do the movement to reduce the stress though.

Glad you have sought help for it. That arthritis is tough! My rheumatologist gave me Voltaren Gel for random joint aches. It really helps. Best of luck on your search for the right resistance exercises!

I bought some resistance bands off of Amazon. They are fun and there's a door stopper thing that holds the bands so you can do both arms pulling in various ways. You can avoid putting too much pressure on your shoulder by avoiding overhead movements and focusing more on biceps or lunges or even simulates rowing for the upper body and use an ankle strap to work your legs.

Yoga!!!! You can do it at home with YouTube videos even (Erin Moetz/BadYogi is my favorite on there).

I struggled with impingement in my right shoulder for years... Physical therapy, chiropractic, weight loss, none of it did so much until yoga and myofascial release massage. Definitely try a physical therapist but try some yoga too!

Planks are great too ????

I use free weights and find that single arm raises don't bother me as much- frontal and lateral with a light weight. Same with a single arm, upright row. Check your form to not raise up too high. Check out Bodybuilding.com, they have videos and pictures for almost every exercise around.

Hi. Ten years ago I was a fat--but in shape--power lifter. Today I'm a more fat and out of shape lump waiting for surgery. One thing I learned during my lifting phase: do not exercise an injury. Give it time to heal. Definitely see a PT and let them assess your damage before you try anything else.

I'd guess rotator cuff impingement of some kind since that's normally what gets messed up with shoulders. After you get checked out, your PT will probably give you strengthening exercises. If you decide not to see someone--and you really, really should--you can search for rotator cuff strengthening exercises and find several suggestions. Here's just one of them.