Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone regret being banded?

Hi all,

This may be a bit taboo..... but I read so much about people's positive experiences on this website, I can't help but think that someone has had a different outcome. So, two week's from being banded, I have to ask - does anyone regret it? Is there anyone out there who wouldn't do it, if they could go back in time? Anyone who wishes they would have stuck it out with more traditional dieting routines?

For those who don't regret it at all, feel free to comment as well....

I would also like to know where I might find before and after photos.... is there a thread for that?

:funscale:

I don't regret it at all. As i was coming out of anesthesia i had a bit of a panic attack that i had actually gone through with it but once i realized i was gonna be ok it was great. Now about 6 months out i am just sooo happy i did it and i want my sister and best friend to get it next!

No regrets from me either. I was never changing the way I was. With just under 40lbs lost, I am doing more than I have done in years...I am biking now, and walking. I got in almost 40 miles just last week between the 2. It is making me stay on track, and be accountable...and although I am not at the perfect tightness yet, I know it is there, but it is MY responsibility to form the relationship with the band so it will give me the final outcome I desire. I have had my slip ups, and right now I can still eat more than I should be able to, but other than that I am totally content.

Good luck with your surgery!!!

I don't regret it at all. Sometimes it is harder than others and I get stressed but then I slip into clothes that are the smallest I have worn in 20 years and it seems so worth it! When I don't have to get up and take meds anymore and can walk for miles, I don't regret it at all.

Anyone who wishes they would have stuck it out with more traditional dieting routines?

Hi, Kero! I'm not banded, YET, but I struggled for a long while with the same kinds of questions. Here's what turned it around for me....

1. My Dr explained that there are different body types-- mine is the type that holds fat reserves and craves the kinds of foods that tend to put it on. My ancestors were the type that probably did hard labor, had lean winters or long boat trips and needed food stores to survive. Thusly there are high metabolism people with ancestors that wouldn't have survived those things.

2. I belong to a very large, supportive weight loss group that has many people who have successfully lost 100 lbs or more with dieting/life style change. They FIGHT the good fight against food every day. It can be done, BUT I'm so tired of FIGHTING so dang hard. I need some help. That's what the band is for me H-E-L-P. I want to hurry up and get with living!

GR8 - Great photos, you look wonderful! :clap2:

I appreciate it when people put photos up. I've spent my entire life trying to not get caught by people with cameras, but it's really encouraging to us newbies when we can see the success others have had!

Thank you!

Hi Kero. I have been on the preop diet for 9 days now and have lost 12 pounds and several people have said, "why don't you just keep doing this and see how you do. Maybe you won't have to have surgery" You are gonna have many moments of "is this right for me", but you also have to remember the struggle with weight loss you've already had. Sure, there are complications related to lapband, but there are complications with obesity! I have worried about having to go back into surgery due to complications, but I also worry about my joints being able to hold me up! Have faith and remember, lapband "doesn't" have to be permanent. Thats one of the great things about it! Although, just to be clear, lapband is "meant" to be lifelong. Stay strong! :biggrin1:

I have NO regrets. I actually know what it is like to feel full and stop eating. Before, I would just keep eating and eating until my plate was empty. I feel so great, too. I have energy I haven't had in years. It is the most wonderful thing ever to see the scale go down, instead of up! I wish you the best!:)

I was banded 12/13/06. I have no restriction yet which has been hard. I had to have 2 other surgeries since my intial band surgery due to an infected port. I do kinda regret having the surgery. I think that I could have lost the weight on my own if I got therapy to deal with the issues of why I eat. But I decided to go for the band. Maybe if I had the restriction that everyone talks about, it would be worth it but 3 surgeries to date and still no restriction? I also found out recently that they may just have to remove the whole band because my infection has persisted. 3 months of heavy duty antibiotics so far. I also considered gastric bypass but now I dont think I would want that if they have to remove my band. I guess it just wasnt meant to be for me.

I have a suitcase of clothes I haven't worn in 15 years - whether they are in style or not, I plan to take them out and where them again, that is one of my 'weight loss' dreams!

Thanks for all the comments!

I was banded 12/13/06. I have no restriction yet which has been hard. I had to have 2 other surgeries since my intial band surgery due to an infected port. I do kinda regret having the surgery. I think that I could have lost the weight on my own if I got therapy to deal with the issues of why I eat. But I decided to go for the band. Maybe if I had the restriction that everyone talks about, it would be worth it but 3 surgeries to date and still no restriction? I also found out recently that they may just have to remove the whole band because my infection has persisted. 3 months of heavy duty antibiotics so far. I also considered gastric bypass but now I dont think I would want that if they have to remove my band. I guess it just wasnt meant to be for me.

I am sorry to hear about your experiences. That must be very disappointing! I wish you the best.