Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's called Aqualert: Water Reminder H20

You can set the reminder as often as you want. I learned to hate that reminder but it got my Water in :)

I guess you need to remember why you made the decision to have the surgery. I think psychologically we build up over months the countdown to surgery and how we will be thin and healthy and all of the other wonderful benefits and finally surgery day arrives and then BOOM! It's still the same but now we've lost our food, our social eating, our favorites and we are not yet thin. That surgery day we were aiming for didn't respond the way most things we've been conditioned to look forward to (instant results). So a bit of a let down can happen, some second thoughts about the things we chose to give up because we do not yet have the reward. All that excited anticipation has been replace by... meh. Hang in there, one foot in front of the other. The reward will come.

I cant wrap my head around the positives of this surgery, i had my 1st minor complication, gerd reaction which was horrible.now i have no desire to eat or drink but i have to force myself..soo hard..im reading stories ans blogs non stop abt when the honey moon phase is over and im putting thr cart before the horse thinking aboit failure and im only 3weeks out. ..what did i get myself into

How are you feeling today? I was in the same boat as you just two days ago. I had an overwhelming feeling of depression and regret. I cried for hours just trying to make sense of everything. I've found that I feel a little better each day. I feel a hundred times better today than I did just two days ago. I still feel hungry and very limited on food but I'm trying to focus on the positives of each day. I installed a counter on my phone to countdown to when I can have solid food again. Only 44 days so that helps to see! This part of the process is no fun at all but it is all temporary. Just try to focus on how good you'll feel months from now. This is just the beginning of the rest of your life. You have a very long road of good days ahead of you. Just do you best to get over this little hump. Hang in there!

I cant wrap my head around the positives of this surgery, i had my 1st minor complication, gerd reaction which was horrible.now i have no desire to eat or drink but i have to force myself..soo hard..im reading stories ans blogs non stop abt when the honey moon phase is over and im putting thr cart before the horse thinking aboit failure and im only 3weeks out. ..what did i get myself into

How are you feeling today? I was in the same boat as you just two days ago. I had an overwhelming feeling of depression and regret. I cried for hours just trying to make sense of everything. I've found that I feel a little better each day. I feel a hundred times better today than I did just two days ago. I still feel hungry and very limited on food but I'm trying to focus on the positives of each day. I installed a counter on my phone to countdown to when I can have solid food again. Only 44 days so that helps to see! This part of the process is no fun at all but it is all temporary. Just try to focus on how good you'll feel months from now. This is just the beginning of the rest of your life. You have a very long road of good days ahead of you. Just do you best to get over this little hump. Hang in there!

Thanks for your encouraging words..i thibkw i cried once today and my grandmother made me eat, and im tryinf to get these fluids ..im soooo lookong forward to being over this hump

I guess you need to remember why you made the decision to have the surgery. I think psychologically we build up over months the countdown to surgery and how we will be thin and healthy and all of the other wonderful benefits and finally surgery day arrives and then BOOM! It's still the same but now we've lost our food, our social eating, our favorites and we are not yet thin. That surgery day we were aiming for didn't respond the way most things we've been conditioned to look forward to (instant results). So a bit of a let down can happen, some second thoughts about the things we chose to give up because we do not yet have the reward. All that excited anticipation has been replace by... meh. Hang in there, one foot in front of the other. The reward will come.

My.major regret is the discomfort and lack of wanting food , but i have to have it..nauseated everyday :(

Everything you are experiencing is very very normal. I cried for days after surgery. I didn't want anything to do with eating or drinking after surgery and ended my butt back in the hospital for 3 days for severe dehydration. So even though you don't want to, even though you would rather do ANYTHING else - sip, sip, sip. I downloaded an app on my phone that buzzed every 7 minutes to remind me to sip my Water so I wouldn't have to go back to the hospital. Please sip.

The reason you feel like this has a lot to do with the hormone dump you are experiencing. Your fat stores a lot of hormones and when you start to drastically lose it (such as in ketosis) those hormones are set free in your body and you go a little haywire :). It will eventually calm down and you will start to feel better. I wish someone would have let me know about this prior to surgery so I would have been better prepared, but such is life.

I am 7 weeks out and feel pretty good... almost 100% normal again. I am still a little tired and lack some motivation but other than that things are going well and they will for you too.

GERD - I experienced a lot of GERD after surgery. I had heartburn every night and was miserable for about 2-3 weeks. I kept taking my meds for it and occasionally a tums and now it doesn't bother me at all. I also had it pre surgery so it took a while for my body to catch up and not make as much acid in my stomach as before. If it doesn't go away let your doc know so he can prescribe something a little stronger for you.

Good Luck - Hang in there, it does get better. [/quote

I started taking the meds at night and that helped..how ever the desire to eat hasnt returned and im pushing the liquids as much as i can

Give the meds time to kick in. If you still have the nausea, call your doctor and get something stronger. Unfortunately some folks have a tougher time of it than others. Hopefully you'll find the right balance of meds to make you comfortable. In the meantime try to get in as much fluids and Protein as possible. It really does help with the healing. [/quote

Thank you so much

Welp. ..im in the hospital :(

Edited by anna9/15

I am sorry some are feeling so bad and don't seem to know what to do.

I will be 4 years from sleeve (revision from lapband) and can share the encouragement that it gets way way better.

You won't die from not eating much the early weeks/months

Criminy, treat the excess acid! It is an expected event from sleeve and other WLS.

Stay hydrated! Dehydration is an awful feeling and if you can't sip sip sip enough to prevent it...get IV fluids!

Before you know it, all this will be a distant memory. Keep your eye on the prize!!

As many others say on this forum, this is a long term change and every day it gets better. I did lots of research before my surgery ten weeks ago and I thought I was ready for what was to come. i wasn't. However, every day I learn more about what I can and can't do. There will be good days and bad days, but you will find that the balance quickly goes more to the good than the bad. Speak with the your surgeon and nutritionist, take care of the GERD, and take it day by day. I am a newbie on this journey, and after only 10 weeks, the good is outweighing the bad. It will for you as well. Hang in there!

I've said it before....

If you given birth, the first 6 weeks after surgery is kind of like that. Going through the labor and delivery is hard and it sucks, but in the end it's all worth it and you forget all about the pain. Well, mostly ;)

I'm 5 wks out and i'm having what i think is gerd....i have no appetite, i force myself to eat because i know i need to but i'd rather sleep because i feel so bad all the time. I chew my food slowly and i still regurgitate it or feel like it is stuck. My stomach feels empty or hollow. I'm at my wit ends. I have lossed very little weight. I would like feedback and support. What am i doing wrong?

Check back In 10 months. :)

Wait until you reach one year. My 1 year is coming up very soon. A year ago I never imagined that I'd be this thin or in shape. Hang in there. Regret is normal. Just remember you can't reverse it and just look at it in a common sense way... I always think to myself, I've done this for my health and because I want to live longer.

How much is "very little weight" ?

Are you taking a good quality PPI for the acid? That is standard protocol for the first few months post op. If the one you are taking isn't working, talk to your doctor about switching.

At 5 weeks out, I was eating by prescription, meaning i was not enoying it but doing it for my health. That is pretty normal.

I am not convinced you are doing anything wrong.... what are you eating, quantities, how often? Have you discussed your symptoms with your surgeon or NUT?

I know you didn't say it, but you sound kinda depressed. Sometimes when you are feeling low, everything can seem alot worse. I am taking your concerns seriously, but you didn't really share enough details to understand your situation clearly. Well, except to say, those first few months are really rugged and not alot of fun. It does get better though!

I'm 5 wks out and i'm having what i think is gerd....i have no appetite, i force myself to eat because i know i need to but i'd rather sleep because i feel so bad all the time. I chew my food slowly and i still regurgitate it or feel like it is stuck. My stomach feels empty or hollow. I'm at my wit ends. I have lossed very little weight. I would like feedback and support. What am i doing wrong?

Call your doctor and get a prescription strength PPI and make sure you take it regularly. You may even need to play around with the dosage and times of day you take. I was sent home on 20 mgs of omeprazole. I took it every morning but didn't really have any issue with acid until about 2 ½ mths out. Then I noticed I would get that stick feeling in my chest. I even skipped dinner once or twice. Then I realized it was the acid and I started taking my PPI aroun 2 - 3 in the afternoon. It helped a bit but I soon realized I need to increase my dosage. Once I upped it to 40mgs I was fine. By 6 mths post-op I didn't need it anymore.

I also went through a few months where I had no appetite. I just ate because I was supposed to. That also passed.