Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Apetite Supressants for those tough pre-op and post-op diets?

Hi all....

I haven't seen this topic discussed. If so, forgive the redundancy....I must have missed it. Being less than a month away from banding, I find myself concerned as I read all of the posts about the real hunger that people are dealing with during the liquid stages....pre-op and post-op. It got me to thinking about the prescription "diet"/appetite suppressant pills I was taking while on a medically supervised diet. (Being the " big time dieter" that I am....LOL!) I believe they were Ionamin (sp?). They really did suppress my appetite and kept my mind off of food. I did loose a great deal of weight on the program....only to regain it plus quite a bit more once I stopped (story of our lives, I know!). In my case, the expense of the program and the cost of the meds and the constant appointments required during the week (work hours) made it prohibitive to continue. These were prescription drugs that I got through the doctor. But, I know that there are many OTC meds that tout themselves as appetite suppressants as well. In the past, I had tried several (not sure if any of the ones I used are still on the market). But, I never really did any one of them long enough to champion a particular one.

In any case, during the pre-op stage when you are not banded and during the post-op stage when you are not restricted, appetite suppressants may be very helpful to get through those really rough Patches. There may be the issue to taking the pills (swallowing) once the band is on....not sure if they can be crushed or if they would be as effective crushed. Never heard of a liquid diet drug. But, who knows. Anyway, on one hand, I can understand why doctors would not suggest it. On the other hand, I wonder if it's ever an option. Maybe even suggesting it to a WLS surgeon would be cause to kick us out of his/her office...dont' know! Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with this? It would be interesting to hear.....

Thanks! Judi

The last diet I was on before considering the lap band was the drug Phentermine that was perscribed by the dr. Like you, it worked great! However as soon as I went off the weight was regained with a few extra to boot. I was thinking the same thing. It would work just to keep the edge off until the band kicked in. I know that there are plenty over the counter weight loss drugs but I dont know if they can be crushed because they might be time released. Maybe someone else has some thoughts on this

I'm glad you brought this up, as I've been thinking the same thing myself. Would it or could it hurt to take them until the right "restriction" is found?

I've never really thought about it but it would make sense in some ways. I wonder why they dont offer for that really tough preop phase?

I've not taken anything since Tenuate way back in the 1980's, when I was a 16 year old - lord knows how any doctor would have put me on the things, I was all of 84kg, just barely overweight, let alone obese. Boy did they work, I lost weight very very easily, but I did regain it when I stopped taking them, and stop I did because they made me utterly psycho, impossible to live with and prone to vacuuming my bedroom at 4 am.

I'd prefer not to take any drug I dont truly need, I'd rather get through the preop phase without them, but then I didnt have to do a preop diet so that's easy to say.

Post op, honestly I didnt need them. I had no appetite at all and had really great restriction for about 8 weeks.

Hi all....

I haven't seen this topic discussed. If so, forgive the redundancy....I must have missed it. Being less than a month away from banding, I find myself concerned as I read all of the posts about the real hunger that people are dealing with during the liquid stages....pre-op and post-op. It got me to thinking about the prescription "diet"/appetite suppressant pills I was taking while on a medically supervised diet. (Being the " big time dieter" that I am....LOL!) I believe they were Ionamin (sp?). They really did suppress my appetite and kept my mind off of food. I did loose a great deal of weight on the program....only to regain it plus quite a bit more once I stopped (story of our lives, I know!). In my case, the expense of the program and the cost of the meds and the constant appointments required during the week (work hours) made it prohibitive to continue. These were prescription drugs that I got through the doctor. But, I know that there are many OTC meds that tout themselves as appetite suppressants as well. In the past, I had tried several (not sure if any of the ones I used are still on the market). But, I never really did any one of them long enough to champion a particular one.

In any case, during the pre-op stage when you are not banded and during the post-op stage when you are not restricted, appetite suppressants may be very helpful to get through those really rough Patches. There may be the issue to taking the pills (swallowing) once the band is on....not sure if they can be crushed or if they would be as effective crushed. Never heard of a liquid diet drug. But, who knows. Anyway, on one hand, I can understand why doctors would not suggest it. On the other hand, I wonder if it's ever an option. Maybe even suggesting it to a WLS surgeon would be cause to kick us out of his/her office...dont' know! Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with this? It would be interesting to hear.....

Thanks! Judi

HI Judi-

I too have used appetite suppressant pre and post surgery. I use them for energy boosters before I work out in the gym. I have to lose 175lbs, my lap band was May 1st (yup...."May Day") and so far have lost 55lbs. The suppressants with the combination of hoodia and green tea help.

I hope all things are well with you and thanks for writing your article.

Marion13

Hi all!!!I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this thought!!! Hopefully, we'll have a few more people like Marion who have used the appetite suppresants with success and can share their experiences (good and bad). This would be so helpful.

Marion--congrats on your great success!!! I'm interested to know what appetite suppressants you use....OTC or prescription? If they are prescription, is your WLS dr giving you the presecrip? If they are OTC....is there a particular one that is working for you? Also, does your WLS know about it and okay with it? From what I recall, the meds I was on really did boost my energy!!! Never vaccumed at 4 am but I know I would stay up pretty late......!

I hope to see this thread continue!!! Thanks all!!! Judi

Hi All,

Interesting topic. I am scheduled to be banded next Thursday by Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver.

My local PA prescribed Wellbutrin for me, and I began taking it last Monday when I began my 10-days of pre-op eating. All I can say, is it has been a Godsend for me. I haven't looked at a Coke, or, even desired one. I've had to grocery shop twice this week, and for the first time since I can remember, was able to stay focused on my list of 'real' foods for the family. I am actually finding it a little difficult to even remember that I am supposed to eat. I've been getting up in the mornings, just having a cup of coffee, then doing chores, then, by about 1-2 pm, I'll have a Slimfast or whatever meat, cheese, etc was recommended. I am drinking lots of Water.

Wellbutrin, to the best of my knowledge is sometimes prescribed to help with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and God knows, I have been completely obsessive in my eating patterns for years now. It is also an anti-depressant, which is also helping me cope with my fears. I am hoping that it will continue to help me with the head hunger until as they say, 'the band kicks in'. I don't feel at all that it is a crutch, I feel it is a tool, just as the band is a tool that will help put me on the path to better health. The PA assured me that I am not going to become addicted to Wellbutrin. She says she'll continue to prescribe it as long as I need it. Bless my PA, shes 'been there, done that too' with severe weight issues. Now, she looks like a million bucks! She has been a great inspiration to me in this struggle.:lol:

Thanks all for taking the time to respond! Honestly, when I started thinking about this....I was feeling very guilty! Here I am getting a lap band put on and I'm wondering if I can take diet pills too!!

But, after I got the courage to bring it up here and didn't get browbeaten over it or lectured about it (instead, I got responses from like-minded people), I brought it up to 2 colleague/ friends that I was having dinner with this evening just to see if I got an *ARE YOU CRAZY?" response. One of them is a holistic practitioner and massage therapist who has a very successful practice in a very trendy section of town. The other is currently a drug and alcohol counselor in a clinical setting but has over 20 years experience working with individuals with eating disorders on a college campus. I thought they would be a good audience to discuss it with. When I explained the 2 week liquid pre-op diet, both of them said that they would *expect* the doctor to suggest options to help us "get through" that period. And, they would *expect* that one of the options presented would be medication that they would prescribe (instead of OTC meds). Naturally, my holistic practitioner friend had many other ideas of things I should try first....things like acupuncture, hypnosis, some kind of 'energy point' therapy, etc. She would never recommend medications as a first route anyhow! But, both of them said that their expectation is that the dr would offer options/suggestions to help patients like us who have had issues with food/eating/control to get through these liquid phases. And, further, they both had a strong feeling that a high percentage of Lap Banders do use some type of "intervention" to help them during at least the pre-op stage. Since I have never seen any discussions about this on the board here (my main source of interactions with other banders), I am not so sure this is true. But, I can't say for sure. Now, both of these women admit that they have no experience whatsoever with lap banders and in fact, I am the first lap bander that they know of. But, based on their professional backgrounds and knowledge, this is what they believe. It was a very enlightening discussion and also gave me a little more courage to bring it up when I have my pre-op appt on Tuesday. Naturally, I would not insult the dr and say "other professionals I talked to said that you should offer me some kind of help with this". But, I am now thinking it's not such a bad thing to say..."hey, I might really need some help here..." I mean if sheer willpower were enough...I wouldn't be sitting there talking to that doctor...right???? What do you think?

Is there anyone else out there who did/does use prescription appetite suppressants either pre or post lap band??? Is it bold for me to expect people to admit to it? Or, is it just so rare that no one ever does it?? Or maybe people are embarrassed to admit it? Or, is it dangerous and I just don't know that? Just wondering.....

I am actually taking Phentermine (sp?) now. My PCP prescribed it while I was waiting on approval from insurance for the lapband. This happened pretty quickly and I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. I'm planning to take the pills during the pre-op diet. Not sure if I should tell my surgeon or not. I think I probalby will. I understand the need for the pre-op diet, but I find it interesting that the doctors think we, who have to have a lapband, can get through two weeks of liquids only....

PLEASE>>>make sure you tell your surgeon if you are taking any diet pill. I like ionamin and have taken it on and off for years. It was an energy booster for me..and did control my hunger but not enough to make a difference. please tell you surgeon as amphetamines can cause your heart to race and cause palpitations....I was told specifically by the anestheologist to NOt take these during the two weeks pre-op... hey, i was scared enough. I really needed a diet pill...but i really wanted to wake up OK in the recovery room. Don't ever hold anything back from your surgeon. He may not agree but he needs to be able to take care of you in case of an emergency. He doesn't need to be second guessing about possible reactions etc.... PLease be careful with the diet pills, even the natural ones can cause rapid heart rates and conduction problems with your heart. .... I love ionamin...maybe too much, but i have not had any nor do i plan or restarting...that's one monkey i've gotten off my back that i do not need again. ...plus, i want the band to control my eating..... Good luck everyone.

I've been on phentermin (sp) a few times and it works pretty good unless I need to get more than 4 hours or so of sleep. This was ok for a month or so at a time and then I would get cranky... not focus at work or home.... feel disjointed. These are major symptoms of sleep depravation. I would go off them for a week or so and start again. Most people build up an immune to them after a few months hense the weight gain and then some. :o

It is partialy a stimulant to the body...heart! I would ask the surgeon before taking it!

Hi Everyone

I'm doing a preop diet right now (optifast). It is difficult for me. I know that not all docs require a pre op diet, and those that do, the preop diet is very different. I have been "cheating" on my diet with healthy foods. Tonight instead of an Optifast I had lettuce, tuna, and a peach for dinner. Seems funny that it is cheating. I wonder what the benefits are of taking diet pills VS cheating a little on the severe pre ops? Are there any banded docs or nutritionists out there that can help?

Ok here is my 2 cents - 1st I can't take diet pills cuz of my high blood pressure - I guess those of you who are taking them don't. I too cheated on my pre-op (but did call after 1 day to get approval) by eating healthy and i still loss weight - My biggest question is why would you want to take DRUGS.. Don't get me wrong - i could very easliy be a speed freak - loved it back in the day... But yes it keeps you from eating but the second you stop taking it you start again - gain back what you lost plus some... IMHO you need to learn the difference between REAL hunger and HEAD Hunger do your pre-op diet and if you have to cheat - cheat healthy but tell the doctor - with the band you have to learn behavior modification - tiny bites - chew - no drinking before, during or after meals, make the correct choices when it comes to food and do your exercise. 75% is up to you the other 25% is the band.. The band is a tool to help you learn these modification to become healthy - I don't consider taking speed as doing something healthy for your body - and it doesn't work in the long run anyway..

And ya you should tell your doctor before surgery if you are taking them..