Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 30 days and feel like a failure

I've been reading posts all over this website and others and I've come to the conclusion that I'm a failure. I have only lost 15 lbs since I was banded. I lost 5 lbs with my pre-op diet I've gotten to the point that I'm not really measuring my food and I know that is a big no no. I'm not eating nearly the amount I was before surgery but the big thing is our lifestyle.. we eat out at least 1 meal a day. I do not drink any calories as recommended by my doctor..I have absolutely no restriction but I do get my 1st fill tomorrow and I hope it will give some restriction. I try to only eat 3 meals a day and I walk 2 miles every other day but still no real weight loss.

My question is... have I blown it already? If I start over tomorrow after my fill will I get back on track? Maybe I should have had the GNY.

I feel lost...:think

First off...umm...15 lbs in 30 days?! That's a LOT. Some people from what I understand actually gain before the first fill...You're not SUPPOSED to feel restriction yet don't worry! The band has nothing in it and it's healed so it's gonna feel similar to normal, don't worry. You're doing great, once you get your first fill youll have restriction

YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE !!!

I'm sorry, this probably won't be warm and fuzzy, but do you realize now many people here haven't even lost that much three months out??

You are AMAZING and have done VERY well! I am guessing though you've read lots of threads here the ones that stick in your head are the people who have lost 70 or 100lbs, please realize those people are MONTHS or over a YEAR out from their band. Remember that the first month or so is for HEALING and your body is adjusting to this. You did a very low calorie diet for pre-op and now are adding back in foods and CALORIES, your body is healing and as such hangs onto every calorie it can to heal. In fact, many people GAIN weight before their first fill.

Please also do not put all your eggs in the first fill basket. The majority of bandsters say it takes at least two, if not three or more fills to get to that "sweet spot." This band is only a tool, it is not magic, it will not erase the weight. It sounds like you are doing the right things.

Did you put on the weight overnight?

Why do we seem to think we are supposed to lose it overnight?

Hang in there!

For perspective, I am 3 years out, and down 85 lbs. I do not feel like a failure, and you shouldn't either.

Please don't feel lost. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal given the fact you have no restriction. Don't be discouraged if it takes you a few fills to get there. If you have lost 1-2 lbs a week you are considered an average loser. That is what I am. Hang in there. I've gone down from a 24 to an 18 this year. Its been slow for me as I have only lost 50+ lbs but I'll take an 18 over a 24 any day. You will be okay, trust me.

I gained 4 pounds by the time I was where you are now, you are doing fine. It is not about losing for the first 6 weeks it is about healing, you don't have a fill, and probably won't feel alot after tomorrow either. Weight loss will come, congrats on your surgery and it is never to late with the band if you feel like you screw up, get up dust your self off and start again, we all screw up, we all get right back on and go again. Good luck!

You are doing great, don't panic and DON'T give up. I've had several fills in the past year, I had no restriction until after the first couple of fills. Weight loss is gradual with the band, for me it definitely comes off in spurts. I think we all expect the band to be magic or something, that we'll be down 50 pounds in the first month after surgery or something. It's frustrating, SO FRUSTRATING to live by the damn numbers on the scale, especially at the beginning when you want results quickly. I had to stop weighing myself every couple of days, I actually started weighing in once a month. You'll see more significant results by doing this and not worry so much about the numbers. Right now focus on getting used to your band and getting used to new portion sizes and foods you can tolerate. Just relax, keep exercising, watch your portions (eventually when you get to the proper fill level the band will do that for you) and keep exercising, you're doing great. I think that there is a such a let down after surgery, we all go through the research for months, anticipation, worry, excitement, and then the big day comes and goes and we figure out that weight loss is still going to take time and effort. You can and will do this!! Hang in there and stay off the scale!!!

Hey finallythin if you are a failure so are the rest of us struggling at the same spotyou are I am 16 days post op and feel EXACTLY the same way but like they all say WE HAVE'NT HAD A FILL YET Hang in there are please let us know how you feel after the fill

I totally with the others who have given wonderful, supportive advice.

I was banded on 1-12-07, have had 3 fills and have 'only' lost about 35 pounds so far (I would be happier with 50!). It IS frustrating, because I think we all 'wish' we could lose the weight overnight but that is not going to happen and we have to accept that this really is a s-l-o-w process in order to keep our sanity; easier said than done I know.

Hang in there ~ There are many others who are in the same boat, but we all have to keep working toward our goal, one day at a time. We will eventually get there, and my doctor says we will have less saggy skin to show for our patience. Yippee!

...and this is one of the many reasons they call this time period "Bandster Hell".

You are doing GREAT!!! :clap2: Keep up the good work. Posting here was one of the best things you could have done. Hang in there!!! {{{hugs}}}

I am three weeks out and feel the same way. Thanks for the advice to stay off the scale. I gonna try and do that. I realized yesterday that I was in Bandster Hell!!!! I have less than a week till my first fill and I get hungrey and my stomach makes all sorts of weird noise just before lunch. I am eating small portions and sipping, sipping, sipping. and I walk a mile a day on my treadmill. You are all right we did not gain it over night. I guess we just needed the peptalk that you guys provided.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Banded 6/21/07

Dr Needleman, Ohio State Medical Center

s-weight.png

I feel your pain, I am feeling the same way but I try to keep in mind that this is Bandster Hell and that I need to watch what I eat. My problem now is eating to late in the evening so as of today I'm going back to my normal way of making sure that I eat my dinner by 8:30 so that I can be finish by 9:00. I also went to the grocery store and purchased some fruit and 100 calorie ice cream for those hot days since my Doctor said to keep your Snacks around 100 calories and try to limit it to one a day. My first fill will be next Friday, July 20, 2007, I can't wait. We will all get through this difficult time together.

I am so glad I read this thread. I'm a pre-bandster and I know that there is part of me that wants to lose 50 lbs. in no time! The advice and cheers not only helped finallythin (hopefully!), but me too. why the heck is it so easy to gain 5 pounds, but hard as hell to LOSE it?????

You are absolutely normal. With banding we only lose 1-2 lbs. per week. You are ahead of scgedule. Be proud, not blue. Just think you won't have all that sagging skin. Ja9