Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I also abstain from some things because I just can't moderate certain foods. It's a balance that has to be learnt.

I am smack dab in the middle of doing this right now.

After kidding myself for the past 1 1/2 months that I "got this" and eating things I shouldn't, not drinking enough and not exercising like I was, now all I am is 1 1/2 months behind in my progress. Granted, I haven't gained anything, but I sure as heck haven't lost either.

I have to abstain from anything off plan. I have not learned to balance yet. @@Babbs was there a point in time that you can say you learned this?

I'm not @@Babbs but in my experience there are certain things I just had to abstain from and others I can do in moderation. Some foods are just plain old triggers (for me chips, crackers...) and others I can do in moderation (most sweets). You need to learn YOU.

I'm still learning the balance thing right now too. I'm in the process of figuring out what I can and can't moderate. chocolate I'm finding is a no no sadly. Maybe some day, but not today....

I am almost 6 weeks post op and went to the movies on Thursday.

I took one of my premier Protein Peanut Butter crunch bars and cut it up into small bite sized squares and put it in a baggy.

It gave me something to munch on.

I thought it was quite genius. Lol

I have brought Jerky, Quest bars, cut up veggies-- but now our local theatre checks your purse for "contraband!" Last time I made my 13 yo son hide it in his cargo pockets! He was freaked out till I explained it wasn't ILLEGAL technically and the worst that could happen is they'd make us throw it out.

We made it past the checkpoint and he said "omg what a rush!" I think I've created a monster ????

I think this is a situation where talking to the manager might be helpful, especially if this is someplace you go a lot.

If movie theatres are going to restrict what you can bring in but not provide healthy options in their concessions, then this could be an accessibility issue.

I gave up diet coke cold turkey months before surgery. I drank quite a bit each day, like 50 ozs. It was tough the first week, but i no longer miss it. The stuff in diet soda has been shown to make people very sick. Although of your 3 choices, diet coke is the only one with 0 calories, i think it is the worst for you.

I do take issue with the "scarfing down yogurt which is full of sugar" comment. Yogurt with no sugar added does still contain sugar, but it's lactose/milk sugar which is HUGELY different in the way it acts in the body. And Greek yogurt sill has way more Protein than it does sugar (again it's all milk sugar/lactose). So Greek yogurt with no sugar added is a good choice.

And you can disagree, that's all good, but please don't use words like "scarfing down" which gave huge negative connotations. I eat a lot of Greek yogurt with no sugar added, but I have never "scarfed it down"

You might but a ton of people are eating yoplait crap and wondering why they aren't losing as they want or gaining. A lot of people that post here don't have a good grasp on nutrition or labels.

I took one of my premier Protein Peanut Butter crunch bars and cut it up into small bite sized squares and put it in a baggy.

I have brought Jerky, Quest bars, cut up veggies-- but now our local theatre checks your purse for "contraband!" Last time I made my 13 yo son hide it in his cargo pockets! He was freaked out till I explained it wasn't ILLEGAL technically and the worst that could happen is they'd make us throw it out.

We made it past the checkpoint and he said "omg what a rush!" I think I've created a monster ????

I think this is a situation where talking to the manager might be helpful, especially if this is someplace you go a lot.

If movie theatres are going to restrict what you can bring in but not provide healthy options in their concessions, then this could be an accessibility issue.

Good point. I only go to the movies maybe once a month, if that, but if I went regularly you have a point. We talked about that very thing...my son and & I... How it wasn't really cheating because of they had those healthy things for sale I would have bought them.

But as someone said up thread I don't NEED to eat during a two hour movie, so not sure it's truly an accessibility issue.

I do take issue with the "scarfing down yogurt which is full of sugar" comment. Yogurt with no sugar added does still contain sugar, but it's lactose/milk sugar which is HUGELY different in the way it acts in the body. And Greek yogurt sill has way more Protein than it does sugar (again it's all milk sugar/lactose). So Greek yogurt with no sugar added is a good choice.

And you can disagree, that's all good, but please don't use words like "scarfing down" which gave huge negative connotations. I eat a lot of Greek yogurt with no sugar added, but I have never "scarfed it down"

You might but a ton of people are eating yoplait crap and wondering why they aren't losing as they want or gaining. A lot of people that post here don't have a good grasp on nutrition or labels.

Unless you are watching them eat (you aren't are you?) you don't know if they are scarfing and thus are using inflammatory words to support your own agenda. Accurate language gains credibility. Inaccurate language dilutes your credibility.

And yoplait Greek 100 is a much better choice than many other things out there. Yea it has artificial sweetener, but it's still a heck of a lot better than many choices.

Diet Coke – probably not a good idea. Even if you’re okay with the artificial sweeteners, it’s carbonated, which can stretch your sleeve. Plus, it has caffeine (unless you go caffeine-free), which is a bad idea when you’re post-op with the sleeve.

bread – It’s a problem (as others have pointed out) because it’s doughy. It’s probably one of the last things you’d add back into your diet post-op, after you get through other solid foods such as raw vegetables.

Once you get there, as long as you’re able to tolerate it, bread should be okay. The keys are Portion Control and quality. Keep it small! A portion is tiny, like a half-slice of thin-crust pizza, or a thin slice of bread, or a half of an English muffin. A bagel from a bakery or a 6-inch sub roll can have 3-4 servings.

Also, get whole grain instead of refined when you can. It’s higher in natural nutrients, including Fiber.

Cookies – well, they’re never actually a super healthy option…but you probably already knew that. :) They’re best as an occasional treat, if at all, and only a small amount. Some people have trouble with trigger foods and need to avoid them entirely because they can’t keep them to a small amount. But if you’re able to keep it reasonable, and the sugar/starch/fat doesn’t give you sleeve troubles, they’re okay when you’re well into the solid foods stage.

AllisonK1986…I think almost every culture would characterize themselves as focusing on food. Certainly as a Jew I know our culture is pretty food-centric. I would guess that plenty of other cultures feel the same way. It’s often the centerpiece of religion, and sharing meals is a way of showing love and caring…and it’s not always healthy foods! :)

Re diet soda, I had a bad diet Dr Pepper habit pre-op. I gave it up about 3 weeks prior to surgery and then the last week (on my liquid diet), I drank a couple thinking it would be my last chance. (My soda funeral) It didn't taste quite the same. I will tell you that post-op, I probably miss carbonation more than anything BUT honestly, what I miss is the "habit" and the "choice". I am almost 4 months post-op and what I crave is that part of my old lifestyle and haven't quite found a good substitute. I drink a lot of unsweet tea. BUT it does get easier. The first month as I drove past my favorite Breakfast stop, I really had to focus to keep driving. The last few weeks, I don't even see it anymore. Years and years ago when I first started considering WLS, I said I would never do it because I couldn't have soda or alcohol. Soda will never be a good choice and alcohol can be done in moderation after the weight loss phase. I wish I hadn't let those things keep me away this long though. All the benefits make it more than worth it and the "cravings" get better. Don't let this part hold you back.

Re Cookies, I have not tried this yet, but I have read lots of folks cutting up Quest Protein bars into pieces (like maybe 8 pieces) and put them in the toaster oven, and they come out like Cookies. A treat and you get your Protein. If it is a trigger food for you that might lead to more not so healthy cookies, then don't do it, but if you can find a substitute for that craving that fits in to your food budget (and even better helps with protein needs), then all the better.

Yep, this. As a diabetic, I had to have certain foods in my purse - Protein, raw vegies, and something for a quick bit of sugar if I got shaky. Once I pointed that out to a movie theatre manager, I had no problems whatsoever.

Soda? Why would you do that to yourself? I have never been a soda fan so I am happy to no have it as an option.

Cookies you ask? ...try this 2 bananas, 2 c rolled oats, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon 1/4 c raisins, golden raisins or craisins. Mix together and scoop on to parchment lined sheet at 350 for 20 minutes.

bread well I can not eat wheat or grains but Julian Bakery makes a nice paleo bread from coconut flour. Again, never been a bread fan so this works in a pinch.

Protein pancakes 2 mashed bananas, 1 scoop whey Protein powered (strawberry or vanilla unflavored if you have it). 1 egg, 1/2 c skim milk. Mix together and cook on a griddle with non stick spray. You can use real maple Syrup and bodybuilding.com makes a great natural sugar free maple syrup for protein pancakes.< /p>

I think I'm gonna miss movie theater popcorn ???????????? popcorn is my fav! How can I go to the movies lol.

On occasion I eat movie theatre popcorn. I had it about 6 months after surgery. That is one thing I knew I could not give up. I probably have popcorn at home twice a week. I just adjust my diet that day to accommodate the calories.