Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I have been reading thru these posts for about a month now as I was considering the Lap Band -- I have made my decision to do it and have narrowed my surgeon down to either Dr Ortiz or Dr Francisco Gonzalez both out of Tijuana Mexico .. I was wondering, has anybody used Dr Francisco Gonzalez and what can you tell me about him ? I plan on having the surgery end of Sept, and taking a week off of work. My other question was -- I live in Chicago .. Can anybody tell me of a good fill dr here and what his charge is ? Any information anybody could provide would be greatly appreciated !!

Thank you and I good luck to each and every one of you !

Hello,

I will be getting banded on July 26th in Tijuana Mexico by Dr Corvala out of the Angeles Hospital. I live in Crest Hill, IL and when I asked them about fills in our state they said that they were affiliated with Loyola Hospital and one in Wheaton that can do the fills.

Hi all,

I have not been banded yet. First appt for consultation is Aug 8th, but I do know my Dr charges 275.00 per fill and ins does NOT cover it. I am so unsure of what to do. 275.00 every 3 months for the rest of my life is a LOT of money! Also I went to a meeting and at least 5 people told me they knew of people who got banded and then went back for the By pass surgery. Why couldn't I just be normal size...:cry

Ann

Hello,

I have been reading thru these posts for about a month now as I was considering the Lap Band -- I have made my decision to do it and have narrowed my surgeon down to either Dr Ortiz or Dr Francisco Gonzalez both out of Tijuana Mexico .. I was wondering, has anybody used Dr Francisco Gonzalez and what can you tell me about him ? I plan on having the surgery end of Sept, and taking a week off of work. My other question was -- I live in Chicago .. Can anybody tell me of a good fill dr here and what his charge is ? Any information anybody could provide would be greatly appreciated !!

Hi chubbyone!

I've done great deal of research on both of your choices, they are two of the best. I've got Dr. Gonzalez' statistics, the facility where he performs most of his surgeries ( he performs surgery in 3 different hospitals) sent me this info and it is excellent! He has a very high success rate. I could not get this from Dr. Ortiz.< /p>

I've almost made up my mind and I think I'm going with Gonzalez. I am very nervous because this will be a life changing decision! I'll keep you posted as to my personal consultation goes, I've been told he is excellent and has beautiful bedside manner, still though, I'm nervous!

:nervous:nervousOXOXOX

CONGRATS on making your decision to have lap band...I can't help you with your questions, but I want to welcome you to LBT and I hope that all goes well for you...I was banded in 4/6/07 and I have lost 41 lbs...4 lbs was this week....I am so glad that I got the band...I was a self pay, but worth every penny of the $15,000.00....and that includes my fills for the first year...

Hi chubbyone!

I've done great deal of research on both of your choices, they are two of the best. I've got Dr. Gonzalez' statistics, the facility where he performs most of his surgeries ( he performs surgery in 3 different hospitals) sent me this info and it is excellent! He has a very high success rate. I could not get this from Dr. Ortiz.< /p>

I've almost made up my mind and I think I'm going with Gonzalez. I am very nervous because this will be a life changing decision! I'll keep you posted as to my personal consultation goes, I've been told he is excellent and has beautiful bedside manner, still though, I'm nervous!

:nervous:nervousOXOXOX

Thanks soo much for responding Christine --

I am also leaning toward Dr Gonzalez, I have received several phone calls from the Dr that's his assistant and he very patiently answered all of my questions. I felt very at ease and comfortable with him. My only problem was I didnt hear much about him on websites or thru word of mouth. I hear about Dr Ortiz all the time. But I appreciated that the Dr himsef took so much of his time for me. My decision is pretty much made up but I was hoping to get more insight. He will be doing the surgery at the plaza agua caliente medical tower .. Have u heard of that hospital ?

Thanks again for responding and to all of those who responded to my thread !! U all make this decision so much easier after hearing / reading about you.

I am also leaning toward Dr Gonzalez, I have received several phone calls from the Dr that's his assistant and he very patiently answered all of my questions. I felt very at ease and comfortable with him. My only problem was I didnt hear much about him on websites or thru word of mouth. I hear about Dr Ortiz all the time. But I appreciated that the Dr himsef took so much of his time for me. My decision is pretty much made up but I was hoping to get more insight. He will be doing the surgery at the plaza agua caliente medical tower .. Have u heard of that hospital ?

Thanks again for responding and to all of those who responded to my thread !! U all make this decision so much easier after hearing / reading about you.

Hi chubbyone, Dr. Gonzalez' office gave me contact info on several of his patients, I can pass that info on to you if you like. I also found that Dr. Gonzalez had not been on the web for too long, but when I spoke to some of his patients (excellent referrals, by the way), some have been referred by other patients that have had surgery with him since 1999, so that gave me confidence. I just got off the phone with Laura and we are ironing out details so that my surgery date fits into my schedule. Best of luck, and lets do it!!!!!

I was considering Mexico for mine. Tijuana was out of the question but there was some nice ones in Cancun. Their price was 9,000 but it didn't include fills and the cost of travel. By the time I added up all the post operation costs, for an extra 1,000 I could have it done in Houston. I used Dr. Spivak and paid $13,000 which includes my first years fills. A fill locally is a minimum of $250 so I buy a tank of gas and drive to Houston from Dallas.

Hello,

Congratulations Chubbyone !

I was banded by Dr. Francisco Gonzalez on 07/2005.

Everything was excellent. Only one of the nurses had a little broken English. Doctor Gonzalez is great! The facilities are as good as any I've seen in the States. You have made a good choice, maybe I will meet you sometime as we are to become "Band of Sisters"

Hi ChubbyOne:

You know I did ask about the facility where Dr Gonzalez does most surgery when you mentioned it in your post. I asked other patients that have had this procedure done and they said it was excellent. I specifically spoke with Janet G. who said it was floors 16 and 17 and that it was a very good experience and equal to any in the U.S. Doctor Gonzalez will perform surgery in any of the 4 major hospitals in Tijuana as he has medical/surgical privileges in the most important Hospitals in Tijuana. This issue did come up with Laura his coordinator in a second phone call today, but I have total confidence in my choice. I guess when it comes down to it, one alone will make the final decision, and I'm sure I've made the right one!

My surgery date: Tuesday July 24th! Wish me luck!

OXOXOXOX

Thanks Christine and MyLap-band for the feed back on Dr Gonzalez !! I am soo excited to get this done, I have to wait til the end of September because that's where my work schedule will allow it ... It seems like its soo far away ! Christine u will definitely have to keep me updated on how ur surgery is going and how your pre-surgery is going too -- I'm interested !! Hope to talk to you girls soon !