Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Giving up my daily habit (weighing myself)

Hi all I'm a daily weigher. In the past when dieting it kept me motivated even on stalls made we push harder to shift it.

Now however I think I might need to change this relationship. I can't push harder than 300-400 cals a day as all I can manage and I am doing things by the book.

But after 2.5 weeks weight loss stalled and it's not picked up much in 10 days. Lose a bit n gain in back etc. I expected a stall but not this long. It's disheartening to say the least considering I'm sticking to the rules and weighing myself can't motivate me to do anything more than I am already.

So I am going to hand over the scales to my husband and not weigh in for a few weeks and just hope I see movement in that time!

This is going to be really hard for me as I've always done this and track my weight daily. Hope my nerves can cope with it!

Any one else given up their daily scales habit - how did it go??

I gave up the daily weigh in. The worst stalls were at 3 weeks (almost 3 weeks) and then again at week 9 (2 weeks). During the first stall I just stopped the daily weigh in and went to a once a week. I put the scale on a shelf and only get it down to do a weekly weigh in. Much better! For me the weight has been released much easier the further away from Surgery I get. I eat between 1200-1500 calories a day and am averaging 2 lbs per week, though the last couple of weeks have been 3-4 lbs, which I attribute to my higher caloric intake and my body just going with the flow. 25 lbs to goal weight, I can only imagine the weight loss is going to slow down.

I think I will join you in putting the scale away for awhile-I am in the midst of a 3 week stall (it started at week 5). I am getting about 800 calories per day, usually hit my Protein and Water goal and am working out (lightly)...Jeez body what more do you want!

I admire you for your courage, but I for one, hate to see surprises. To me, the scale provides accountability and motivation, even if the number is not what I want to see.

I had surgery 16 months ago and weighed in daily. I'm having a few issues and was ordered by my surgeon to stay off the scale for the next 8 weeks. His words "numbers mean nothing to you now". It's been 6 days and I'm having a really hard time. Weighing in was how I kept control and insured I was on track. I lost 130 lbs weighing in daily, so it's hard to give up that control. But, I'm doing it. It helps that my family hid the scale from me so it's kind of out if sight, out of mind!

@@stacyg1 you lost 130 pounds by working hard, following your plan and treating your body well. Pretty sure the scale didn't do much. ????

Hope that didn't come across snarky!

I'm having the same stall - a long one and I'm at week 5. I still weigh daily though and just take it for what it is and move on. Like someone else said, I can't do more than I'm doing... well, I could get more exercise but food-wise I'm on target. I can't imagine not having that information. I think it does help motivate me not to break the rules or go off track.

@@mismatched - not snarky at all. I know it was from my hard work but the scale was one tool I use(d) to keep me accountable! Thanks for the support!!

I used to weigh daily, at least once a day. Always first thing in the morning before I had any intake and sometimes at the end of the day to see what I was after a day of eating and drinking. I did it to find my average or more realistic weight I guess. I recently moved to Houston, TX from WI and left all my things in storage back home while apartment hunting and working down here... including my scale. It was hard at first for awhile. Granted I work in a hospital (scales everywhere!) but it wasn't my scale and I don't know how accurate it was in comparison to mine at home so I lost interest in the scale.... sort of....