Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help to stop the worry - leaks

I feel one of my biggest worries is getting a leak or something just as dangerous. Doing research now but every time I have posted a question or fear every one here has come to help :)

Just looking for some direction and how to handle this big fear. Will I always have the fear? When are you back to a safe place and out of the woods?

Thanks!

I had the same fear and I don't consider it a bad thing. I also did the research and found out that it happens to about 1-2% of patients. I also asked my surgeon about it. It was important to me to have that information, and bottom line, decide that it was worth the risk.

For me, once the surgery was over and i continued to heal, the fear receded. And now that I am 10 months out, it is gone completely. Leaks are usually evident within 1-2 weeks after surgery. The farther out from surgery you are the less chance you have of one.

So take heart, do your research, and make your decision! Good Luck

I also have the same fears!!! 4 weeks tomorrow. the littlest thing I feel I think Theres an issue. I think the worst. Glad I'm not alone.

Edited by sshawk69

I feel one of my biggest worries is getting a leak or something just as dangerous. Doing research now but every time I have posted a question or fear every one here has come to help :)

Just looking for some direction and how to handle this big fear. Will I always have the fear? When are you back to a safe place and out of the woods?

Thanks!

I take Lexapro for anxiety so it helps. Talk to a psych about your anxiety. Get a prescription for anxiety issues. Its helped me tons. I'm being sleeved on Oct. 8. Had I not been treatingvmy anxiety issues I wouldn't been stable enough to decide to get my procedure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

The best way to minimize the risk of leaks is to: 1) choose a skilled surgeon, 2) follow your surgeon's instructions, and 3) do not use steroids or NSAIDs (which should fall under the heading of following your surgeon's instructions). Leaks are very rare but if you have any issues post surgery, then definitely call your surgeon.

My surgeon said that the biggest cause of leaks is other doctors prescribing NSAIDs or steroids without consulting your surgeon. Just keep your surgeon in the loop of you have any issues.