Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tricare Prime Remote

I ended up going to mexico and self paying///but my fill doc takes tricare and all she does is bill for office visit ...I'm in Houston....

I am just now starting the research and I am Tricare prime. I got a referral to a surgeon, and I guess I just assumed they would pay for LB. I was disappointed to read on here that I may be out of luck. I can wait to Jan 2008 if that rumor is true:)

I am also a veteran, does anyone know what needs to be done to have the VA do it? Will they even work with you if you have tricare?

So I get a second HMO then I should be able to bill Tricare for the FILLS, vice going to TJ and paying 100.00 out of my pocket each time I go down...fill unfill.. ect ect. I am going to pick my Second HMO this month due to being OPEN SEASON for federal employees...I am SICK OF TRICARE WEST.. THEY SUCK

diane in San Diego

OK so I am new to tricare and when I last asked was told in Oct they covered nothing but GB. Not an option for me I am to young by eval standards.

What is this about them maybe starting to cover it in Jan 08 that would be great. I do know that they cover weight loss drugs in ohio, michigan and one other state as a trial.

Also i have a questoin about being on an inactive base. We are officially on a shut down base in SC and am not sure where if even in a 500 mile radious of me there is a real military hospital. There is a army base about an hour and a half but they only do minor things and out source like they do here. Anyone know:help:

My husband is in the Air Force and I had lost all hope in having Lap Band done. Then I went to my initial consultation. The base apparently has a great bariatric surgeon. We discussed my reasons considering WLS. Thats when he Hit me with " You have three choices Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Bypass, OR Lap Band." He then began to explain that they were getting ready to learn how to do the procedure and that the first few they would be flying in another surgeon to assist. All I could think of was "MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED"

As few days later it hit me. No had discussed Tricare coverage. I called the surgery clinic and asked about Tricare's restrictions and how it affected me and my choice of surgery. I was told that since I was having the procedure done by a surgeon at the MTF tricare has no involvement. So Here i go JAnuary 23 is m surgery date. I just keep hoping this isn't going to come back on me in the form of a bill.

Change 66 issued today covers lapband. It is effective until Feb 1, 2007. I believe you should read it for your selves. Manual

Don:)

Change 66 issued today covers lapband. It is effective until Feb 1, 2007. I believe you should read it for your selves. Manual

Don:)

Thanks Don! Great news, however, I believe it should read "effective as of Feb 1", as opposed to "effective until Feb 1" which is good.;)

From the manual:

V. EFFECTIVE DATES

A. Laparoscopic surgical procedure for gastric bypass and gastric stapling

(gastroplasty), including vertical banded gastroplasty are covered, effective December 2,

B. Laproscopic adjustable gastric banding is covered, effective February 1, 2007.

- END -

w00t! Thanks Don!

<p>SO WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THIS.. AND TO ACTUALLY READ THAT TRI CARE WEST COVERS LAP BAND SURGERY</p> <p>I PAID FOR THIS SURG MAR 2006 AND A SLIP ON AR 2007 TO THE TUNEOF 13,000. OUT OF MY OWN POCKET.. THEN I TOOK OUT BCBS DUE TO THE FACT THAT TRICARE WEST DOESNT COVER MY LAP BAND MAINTENANCE,, IE SLIP OR PORT PROBLEMS</p> <p>SO AS A FEDERAL EMPLOYEE AND A DEPENDENT OF A RETIREE,</p> <p>YOUR SAYING TRICARE WEST COVERS </p> <p>LAP BAND FOR THOSE OF US THAT ARE SELF PAID</p> <p> </p> <p>I FIND IT VERY HARD THAT THEY ARE COVERING THE PROCESS.DIANE IN San Diego CA</p> <p>62" 54 YRS OLD</p> <p>3.29.06</p> <p>DR Lopez</p> <p>180/125/128</p> <p>slip</p> <p>3/27/07</p> <p>130</p> <p>now 128</p>

So tell me how do I get the codes for FILLS and SLIPPED Bands to see if Tricare covers these also.. WHAT IS THE WEB SITE FOR TRICARE POLICY MANUAL. I APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS SUBJECT MATTER

DIANE IN San Diego CA

I use two sites for updates the first is the one for manual updates the second is the site for no pay codes.

Manual

TRICARE: No Government Pay Procedure Code List

The second still has not been updated but should be in the next few months.

This third site is the manual but again it has not been updated yet and I am sure it will take a while.

TRICARE Beneficiaries : Covered Services -

The first message ran out of room. I sent all of the new information to baptist hospital here in Nashville and am waiting for them to get back to me concerning what I have to do to get the band. I had a loan approved for 16000.00 and backed out in july determined to wait as long as possible to get Tricare to pay. I would have only waited one more year and then would have paid for it myself.

Don

I am so glad I happened upon this thread. My husband just asked me the other day if I wanted to keep using my insurance, or if he should put me on Tricare Prime with him. Now that I know they will cover LB, I'm going to have him add me, and send me off to the flight doc for an eval. With a BMI of 45 I should qualify easily. I need this so bad. God Bless you all!!!