Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need help with plato

I had my surgery May 23 and have lost 30 pounds. I have been thrilled with the weight loss but for some reason the weight loss stopped 3 weeks ago. I have not lost a pound in 3 weeks. First I delt with it, now, I am angrey and very upset. It is beginning to feel like the same old diets that haunt my past. I am so frustrated. I don't know what to do. If any one can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Disappointed in the South,

Stephanie:help:

Don't get discouraged! 30 lbs in 7 weeks is a great loss. I have no experience (will be banded August 2), but I've been reading this forum a lot and maybe you need a fill. I'm sure others with experience will respond with good advice. Just don't get discouraged. You are on the path and off to a good start. Much success in the future, Becky

Depending on your diet and exercise habits, you may get past this with a little patience. You've lost a lot of weight in a little time, and your body is saying "whoa, what the heck just happened?!". If you aren't taking measurements, you should, because likely you are still changing shape. If you aren't exercising, you should probably start, and if you feel like you are eating too much, and your doctor agrees, get a fill. :)

ok all you long timers and encouragers! I was banded on June 14th in Mexico, Dr Zapapta. I have lost about 12 pounds, and inches for sure. I am getting my appetite like crazy. I am eating to much, still not as much as I used to,but I am afraid I will get there again. I am working out daily but the scales are not moving. I am more worried about eating too much. I am still eating soft stuff, but alot of it. is 4 weeks time for a fill? I feel no restriction at all. also do you know any fill Dr's in fort worth that take Mexico patients? I am kinda feeling down today and fearing I am not going to be sucsessful. I need ideas as to what to be eating I guess. maybe I was not as prepared as I thought. any ideas?:help:

I was told I have no restricton in the band until my first fill,I am only 28 days out from being banded. I am walking on a treadmill about 30-45 minutes a night and using a gazzell also. I am not sure how soon I can have my first fill.

As in the philosopher Plato?

It seems you mean plateau. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

I agree with those above me, Marimaru is so right that your body is going WHOA and it will take a bit to catch back up. Julie gives a good suggestion to try a day or two of liquid Protein.

Remember the first four to six weeks or sometimes a bit longer (we are all different) are not intended to be for weight loss, they are for healing. Your body hangs onto every calorie it can to heal. As an example, burn patients sometimes are fed 5000-6000 calories a day to heal their wounds. Though our wounds are (thankfully) MUCH smaller than that, it just demonstrates that the body needs energy to repair itself and it will hang onto everything it can for that energy.

Are you tracking EVERY bite and EVERY sip that you take in? I have found that that made ALL the difference in the world for me. I used to think I ate about 2000 calories a day and when I started tracking it, I was getting almost 4000! There are many free sites to do this on, some are fitday.com, mydailyplate.com, sparkpeople.com, calorieking.com, etc...

I was told I have no restricton in the band until my first fill,I am only 28 days out from being banded. I am walking on a treadmill about 30-45 minutes a night and using a gazzell also. I am not sure how soon I can have my first fill.

Usually at least four to six weeks, sometimes eight. All depends, you'll have to call your surgeon's office and ask (they didn't tell you?).

Please remember that your first fill rarely gives you the "sweet spot" restriction that will be what you need for weight loss. Most folks say it takes at least two, more likely three or four fills to get to that "sweet spot." Sometimes it can also be a couple of weeks after the fill before the restriction comes.

Hand in there, we're all in this together.

well I have to find a doc here in Fort worth, my doc is in Mexico, he will do a fill at 4 weeks but likes you to wait for 6. that is the biggest drawback about Mexico surgery. it was great otherwise. I am just worried about gaining weight, I am going back to very mushy and liquids I guess. I am not patient at all, but I can do this! thanks for the support. I can tell I am loosing inches so I will stop whinning.

rtoomer.........Most Mex.-banded wls patients in this area use Dr. Fred Maese in Dallas.....Preston Cardiology Wellness Center. He is related to a number of the Mexican physicians and is a master at fills.....very experienced and knowledgable about weight loss surgery. I don't know wht he charges, but feel that it's reasonable. I meet MX-banded people in his clinic that come from New Orleans, far West Texas,Oklahoma, etc etc. (Besides, he's a charmer and easy to look at).

Stephanie,

I also was banded on May 23rd. I lost 22 lbs within the first 3 weeks. I have stayed the same since then. Monday 7/16, I will get my first fill. I am hoping I will get good restriction and jump-start the weight loss again. You have done very well considering you have not had a fill yet. When are you scheduled for your first fill? There will be some slowing down now and then - don't be too hard on yourself. You are doing great!! Rachel