Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been a member for a while, but lately I've been dealing with something I thought other sleevers (particularly if you're pre-op and looking for things to watch out for) might want to be aware is a possibility. Because it's embarrassing and I'm going to drop some personal truth bombs I set up a new account to do this.

All my life, I've been fat. As a child, I got ridiculed. As an adult, I never felt like I even existed. At the size I reached, I was basically a non-entity, an ugly piece of furniture people walked around but never really looked at. For some reason, despite ongoing therapy, I was never able to get past the notion that once I started losing weight, things were going to change. I would be a PERSON, and I would be LOVED and I would be WORTHY.

Nothing changed except the size of my ass.

Oh sure, I get more attention now, but it's fleeting attention. I still don't have the connections I hoped for, and I think maybe that's because I went my entire life not knowing how to form them.

I thought I understood all the possible risky behaviors and cross addictions. I'm not an alcoholic, I've never tried cigarettes or drugs, didn't even finish my pain pills after surgery and I really needed them. I was OKAY, right? Wrong. I started meeting guys, with the genuine intention of finding someone special...but it just kept not happening. They all seemed to like my body, though, so I convinced myself for a while that the sex was just good and liberating and everyone does it, so why shouldn't I have fun with it? It's not fun, though. It started to become desperate. That moment when I was with someone and things peaked, I mattered - I was the only thing that mattered. For that moment, it felt good, and I started living for that feeling. Men, women, couples, posting pictures online - once I even posted a craigslist ad in another state exposing myself and asking for chat friends. Ended up taking a day off work and carrying on a conversation with over 30 men at the same time just trying so hard to feel like I was desirable and cared for.

I knew it wasn't okay. I knew every discussion, every encounter, was just going to end in tears. I was just too out of control to stop. It wasn't until recently that I really figured out what was really at the root of what I was doing. I'm not engaging in the behavior anymore, but I'm still struggling really hard with the feelings. I wish I could say that I knew how to prevent this from happening, that I had some magic answer, but the truth is I don't. I've BEEN in therapy, taken meds, tried to fill my life with other things, and still ended up finding myself out of control. It would be nice to say, "do XYZ and this won't be you", but I can't - though maybe reading this can help someone else who might be going through it to feel like they aren't alone. You aren't. You are valuable, you matter, and you are worth more. So am I. I'll check this account from time to time, and if you need to talk to someone who gets it, I'll talk to you. NO worries about anonymity, I won't say a word.

I'm sorry your going through this. I would say intensive therapy, perhaps inpatient for awhile, may help. I had to do inpatient therapy myself at one point for issues I had- nothing to be embarrassed about.

The behavior your describing is very dangerous!!!!! I do hope you have stopped for your own safety.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying sex, but these are the wrong reasons. Self worth and intimacy is a long road and growing process. I hope you are okay.

Your story is a reminder that wls is as much a mental adjustment, as it is physical. Like me you've spent the majority of your life invisible or sometimes, even the object of unwarranted ridicule.

It's an on going learning process, shedding the fat suit, as also is the lowering of the internal protective shields built up over the years to protect yourself from negativity.

You've already identified the subsequent behavior, which is a forward step in itself, and someday I'm sure you'll find a way to deal with them positively. In the meantime, give yourself some credit for just how far you've already come!

Best of luck!

You are so wise to start to figure this out, before you were in a situation that you couldn't get out of. Some kind of support group would be helpful I think.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've been a member for a while, but lately I've been dealing with something I thought other sleevers (particularly if you're pre-op and looking for things to watch out for) might want to be aware is a possibility. Because it's embarrassing and I'm going to drop some personal truth bombs I set up a new account to do this.

All my life, I've been fat. As a child, I got ridiculed. As an adult, I never felt like I even existed. At the size I reached, I was basically a non-entity, an ugly piece of furniture people walked around but never really looked at. For some reason, despite ongoing therapy, I was never able to get past the notion that once I started losing weight, things were going to change. I would be a PERSON, and I would be LOVED and I would be WORTHY.

Oh sure, I get more attention now, but it's fleeting attention. I still don't have the connections I hoped for, and I think maybe that's because I went my entire life not knowing how to form them.

I thought I understood all the possible risky behaviors and cross addictions. I'm not an alcoholic, I've never tried cigarettes or drugs, didn't even finish my pain pills after surgery and I really needed them. I was OKAY, right? Wrong. I started meeting guys, with the genuine intention of finding someone special...but it just kept not happening. They all seemed to like my body, though, so I convinced myself for a while that the sex was just good and liberating and everyone does it, so why shouldn't I have fun with it? It's not fun, though. It started to become desperate. That moment when I was with someone and things peaked, I mattered - I was the only thing that mattered. For that moment, it felt good, and I started living for that feeling. Men, women, couples, posting pictures online - once I even posted a craigslist ad in another state exposing myself and asking for chat friends. Ended up taking a day off work and carrying on a conversation with over 30 men at the same time just trying so hard to feel like I was desirable and cared for.

I knew it wasn't okay. I knew every discussion, every encounter, was just going to end in tears. I was just too out of control to stop. It wasn't until recently that I really figured out what was really at the root of what I was doing. I'm not engaging in the behavior anymore, but I'm still struggling really hard with the feelings. I wish I could say that I knew how to prevent this from happening, that I had some magic answer, but the truth is I don't. I've BEEN in therapy, taken meds, tried to fill my life with other things, and still ended up finding myself out of control. It would be nice to say, "do XYZ and this won't be you", but I can't - though maybe reading this can help someone else who might be going through it to feel like they aren't alone. You aren't. You are valuable, you matter, and you are worth more. So am I. I'll check this account from time to time, and if you need to talk to someone who gets it, I'll talk to you. NO worries about anonymity, I won't say a word.

I am bipolar 2 with anxiety. I did not go to your extremes.. but i watch the ID channel and realize how lucky i am to be alive. I am 63 and was misdiagnosed with just general depression. 2 yrs ago...2 yrs post sleeve..is when i got my dx. Sounds to me a change in a pdoc i called for and meds are not working as they should. In my case taking an antidepressant made my bipolar worse....it has to have a mood stabler along with it. I now take depakote, prozac, and valium.

What meds do you take and how are you doing?

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

You are so wise to start to figure this out, before you were in a situation that you couldn't get out of. Some kind of support group would be helpful I think.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I agree. Have you explored Sex Addicts Anonymous? It is similar to AA, OA, NA, and other recovery support groups.

I just wanted to thank you for bravely sharing your story and struggles.

I can definitely see how easy it might be to get drawn into unhealthy relationships and behavior, especially when you have never had the chance to learn how to navigate the world socially.

I hope you can find a way to learn those skills in a safe, nurturing environment. You need to surround yourself with people who can love you in appropriate ways while you learn to love yourself. I hope you allow us to help.

Sending virtual hugs.

Hey!

I was just wondering how you were doing? I am new here and appreciated you sharing your experience.

I never wanted to have my picture taken. We all know the answer to that. My surgery was in 6/2016 & I have reached my goal. I thought I would be happy but no difference in my feeling bout myself. I'm on Wellbutrin but I don't think it's any different. Maybe I need to talk to my Dr.

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

Ive reached my goal weight also. I take viibryd. I can hold up my pants and say dang thats small but as soon as i put the clothes on i see size 22 in the mirror. Not sure if thats the same problem u r having r not. But if it is. I dont know if that can be fixed

lanca smith

Right back at you. I'm still surprised that when I pass the mirror in the bathroom, I can't figured out where my behind has gone. I just have to work on myself. I have been overweight my whole life so when I see myself, I just know who this person is.

Sent from my SM-T520 using BariatricPal mobile app

It's the same brain mechanism that allowed us to get obese in the first place. Remember that feeling of catching a glimpse of yourself in a store window or a mirror you weren't expecting and being shocked that the fat person was you? Or seeing pictures and not believing you looked that fat when you got dressed that morning? Our brains have a recorded vision of ourselves that takes a while to overwrite with the new version of you. Give it time and the person in your brain will start to mirror the thinner person you are now. I read a while back it takes about 6 months to replace that mental image with the new you.