Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pretend Banding

So, I have decided I want to test myself a little bit to see what I am capable of. I went to a seminar to learn about lap-band yesterday, and then began perusing this page to learn more about it.

Many of you talk about having to be on a liquid diet for weeks pre-surgery, and then continued post surgery. You also have mentioned not being able to drink soda, which I think for me will be the BIGGEST sacrifice. Hearing all of this has lead me to want to try an experiment.

I'm going to try to "pretend" that I am having the procedure. I want to test myself to see if I can deal with the liquid diet and no soda. I'm also setting some exercise goals for myself, and I want to see how well I can cut it. I'm still researching the lap-band, and i know that would make this easier as it would eliminate so many of the hunger pains, but I want to make a challenge to myself to see if I can mentally/physically prepare for an "imaginary" surgery.

Wish me luck, and I will keep you updated with my progress/failure!! :)

Well research your doctor....because they all have different guidelines for what you do pre-op and post-op....as you'll find out here in this forum. Much has to do with your weight....your insurance or self-pay....your BMI.....other circumstances.

I gave up my old friend "Diet Coke"!!!! Have to say I'm glad....it was an addiction! I only had to do 3 days of pre-op liquids...I was considered a "lower BMI". Then only 5-7 days post-op of full liquids and then slowly progressing to mushies-soft-solids!

Good luck! So far It's working for me!

I agree, research to find out what is required first. I didn't have to do liquids pre-op but was on Clear Liquids for 1 week and full liquids 1 week post op. Honestly, though, just recovering from the surgery you don't want to eat too much initially anyway.

Good luck though! Keep us updated on your progress. I think it's much easier to do when the band is actually in because there is a "fear factor". You are afraid to PB or slime so you follow the rules. That isn't there with you now!

I agree that is easier to follow some of the rules post-op because of that "fear factor."

I started being a pretend Bandster in late January/early February. I started eating my Protein first, then veggies, then if there was room, I'd eat fruit/complex carbs. I started tracking every bite and every sip of anything I put in my body on one of the free online calorie counting sites (fitday.com, sparkpeople.com, mydailyplate.com, calorieking.com, etc). I didn't stick to any certain caloric intake, I wasn't on a diet, I was changing my eating habits. I severely limited my intake of "white" or simple, refined carbs. I read labels, high fructose corn Syrup and enriched flour were cut from my diet. I stopped drinking so many diet drinks (they made me crave food), and started sweetening my food and drink with Stevia (natural plant derivative) or Blue Agave nectar (low glycemic index sweetener-slowly metabolized so you don't get teh blood sugar spikes and dips). I bought baby foods and various Protein Drink samples and tried them so I'd know what I could tolerate post banding. I started eating with baby or toddler utensils so that I'd be used to taking small bites. I gave up caffeine and carbonated drinks. I stopped drinking with my meals and for an hour after (if I could make it), I started chewing, chewing, chewing my food. I did everything I could to prepare myself for this drastic change. I lost 44lbs before the pre-op diet time came. It was fairly effortless. I've had very little in the way of cravings since OR and definitely wouldn't say I feel like I'm in hell, though this time is called Bandster Hell.

It's not easy, I'm not perfect, we all have slip ups. But trying on the Bandster way of life pre-op ABSOLUTELY helped me.

I wish you luck.

I see the biggest difference with the amount of hunger I had. That may be difficult for you. Eating like a bandster is like eating 1-2 oz at a time, no more. I also don't snack much. I try and stay to 3 meals a day and nothing more. Good luck.

so i had kind of quit weighing myself and hit a plateau... but on friday my hubby was diagnosed with type II diabetes. now we're both eating like we have the lap band!

he's been recommended to drop some weight FAST to possibly avoid a life of insulin shots and finger pricks, and placed on a 500 calorie per day diet. i am matching him everyday, and we are doing it together.

i think this "pretend banding" might work afterall!!

Good luck, you can do it.

I agree with everyone else. My surgeon didn't require any preop diet of any kind so they are all different.

My doc requires a pre-op diet for those with a BMI of 40 or more. That pre-op diet consists of essentially Atkins. Low carb, adequate Protein.

Post op has changed. When I had surgery it was two weeks of clears, two weeks of fulls, two weeks of soft, and then solids. Now it's much better and more workable.

I wish Jack would jump in because he was wayyyyy better at explaining things without being negative. But keeping in mind my inability for tact and diplomacy, one of the issues we have being MO is that many can take weight off, keeping it off is a whole 'nothing ballgame. That seems to be the issue most of us have. Maybe you don't, I hope not. It would be great if you don't need to have a band, that would be ideal.

I guess I don't want to throw a negative curve at you but I also don't want you feeling bad about yourself if those pounds don't stay off.

i guess we'll see. i've never really had to lose weight before, or even tried to. i gained all my excess weight in a year (yes, it was a HORRIBLE year) and have just been maintaining that obese weight for a year since then. i think if i get it off, and then resume to my normal eating to maintain again, that i will be AOK.

I practiced for the band for about 3 months. I started exercising everyday. I followed my nutritionist's advice to eat 6 small Protein based meals a day and to aim for about 1600 calories. A year and a half ago when I first started considering the band, I gave up candy and have not had any to this day. I lost 15 lbs in a year by giving up the candy. Then since starting the 1600 cal diet I had lost an additional 40 pounds. I am good at losing weight, but better at gaining it back. Once I knew the band was coming it gave me the courage and confidence to lose again, knowing that i had a special friend to help me this time.:whoo:

My doc requires a pre-op diet for those with a BMI of 40 or more. That pre-op diet consists of essentially Atkins. Low carb, adequate Protein.

Post op has changed. When I had surgery it was two weeks of clears, two weeks of fulls, two weeks of soft, and then solids. Now it's much better and more workable.

I wish Jack would jump in because he was wayyyyy better at explaining things without being negative. But keeping in mind my inability for tact and diplomacy, one of the issues we have being MO is that many can take weight off, keeping it off is a whole 'nothing ballgame. That seems to be the issue most of us have. Maybe you don't, I hope not. It would be great if you don't need to have a band, that would be ideal.

I guess I don't want to throw a negative curve at you but I also don't want you feeling bad about yourself if those pounds don't stay off.

Was ABubble Butt - i think you are very positive, to the point, very informative. But that is because i can now call you friend. Before you were that you were VERY honest and that is what these boards need is for people to be honest. I am glad (we found) each other. See ya in a few weeks YAHOOOO i am so excited. But just becasue you are to the point, that isn't a bad thing! :eek:

That is sooooooo awesome!!!! Practice banding can really work, for a while at least. It's the keeping it off that I was sure I wouldn't be able to do without the band. I had completely forgot about posting to this thread, so I posted almost the same thing again in the TwoTerville thread, sorry! :)

Goodonya!!! I'd love to see Twoterville this month as well.