Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Foods are Prone to Dumping Syndrome?

Something I haven't heard much about from my own medical team is what foods have a tendency to cause dumping syndrome?

Please share your knowledge with me!

After RNY surgery, your stomach is no longer able to process foods with high content of fats or sugars (because this part of your stomach has been cut away). Eating this food will cause dumping syndrome. This takes the form of diarrhea. After about a year, your intestines will change and they will begin processing fats and sugars in place of the stomach. So this intolerance will go away.

If you each too much volume of food, your stomach will signal very painfully that you have reached your limit. You may vomit the entire meal over the course of an hour or painfully wait it out for several hours. This appears more common with harder foods such as steak, then with softer foods such as Soups and chili.

I completely agree with you, James! I also think it's important to point out that there's the equally scary reality that some folks don't "dump" at all no matter what they eat. It only takes a bite with no ill effects... that turns into two...and possibly more, which will defeat the purpose of what your'e trying to accomplish. Me personally? I stay away from fatty sugary stuff from an equal fear of dumping and worrying that I won't dump and revert back to old habits.

It's not only diarrhea or vomiting. It can be a feeling of fullness, even after eating just a small amount, abdominal cramping or pain, nausea, sweating, flushing, or light-headedness. I didn't think I was a dumper in the beginning because my symptoms were subtle, sweaty, light-headedness and exhaustion. I'm still figuring out what causes it, some days I can have fruit without a problem other days not so much. I've had small amounts of simple carbs without any dumping and other times I've been sick for hours.

To add to Suze, many don't ever dump from the wrong foods. It just requires even more due diligence in staying away from sugar and fats. I am one of those people who don't get dumping from sugar and fat.

I do however get an uncomfortable even painful feeling if I eat bread or Pasta as well as eggs. I get overly full in just a bite or two and then I sit in pain and of course cannot get my Protein in. I simply avoid Pasta and bread altogether. I do eat a little egg once in a while just to see if it gets better and it has been improving.

If I overeat because I am not paying attention I will actually have severe pain in my chest followed by vomiting. This has happened twice in the last 11 months. It is the worst feeling so I choose not to do it.

I had RNY in April. Have had dumping a few times. oatmeal (regular); Mexican food that had cheese on it; beef. Someone put a piece of rhubarb pie in my mouth and made me eat it, didn't cause any problems.... then the same person made me eat some birthday cake...darn that big guy! This is how I learned that sugary does not phase my pouch. But of course (if my NUT is reading this), I would never eat any of that stuff because I have no room after Protein. Not for any ice cream, either. :)

The only thing that has made me dump so far are baby raw carrots. Worse thing ever. Not to give too much TMI, but its a bad feeling when you are throwing up carrot and you can still feel it in your throat afterwards.. NO BUENO!

LOL. Thank you for all the information.

You can dump with the sleeve and gastric bypass. There is late dumping too, which doesn't happen immediately. It can happen a couple of hours later.

It's not just diarrhea. It's getting really hot and sweaty, and your heart races and you feel nauseous.

For me, it's something high in sugar and fat. Like cheese cake. I shouldn't eat cheese cake anyway. That comes to mind because that was the first time it happened to me. Ice cream for sure, if I eat more than a couple of bites.

I've had it happen with baked yams when I put butter and brown sugar on it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches