Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories, fat, carbs and protein should you consume in the first month after the sleeve surgery

I am sorry if this question has been asked here before, but am hopeful people will still respond. I was given instructions on what to consume post surgery during each stage, but there aren't specifics about calories. I've been using My Fitness Pal to track what I consume. I've only been eating around 420-480 calories since returning home from having the surgery on Friday. I have been able to get 50 grams of Protein or more by making most meals Protein shakes. It seems like an inadequate number of calories and fat to me.

Okay, answers may vary, but here's mine.

1-5 Weeks : 300-500 calories

6-8 Weeks: 600-800 calories

2-6 Months: 800-1000

6 months and beyond: 1000-1200 calories

At a year out, I've ramped up to about 1250-1300. Once I hit maintenence, it may (will) change.

I never watch fat.

I got no more than 50 grams of carbs until I hit 75% of my excess weight lost, now I get anywhere from 70-100 grams to match my protien grams. I always strive for a minimum of 70 grams of protien a day.

Hope that helps :)

Like I said, others may vary.

Sounds like you are doing well for being less than a week out. Focus on healing and taking in what you can at this point. Some people are still on Clear liquids that soon after surgery. I couldn't eat much at that point and trying to get in enough liquid was a struggle. I am sure at your first checkup/visit with your NUT you can get more complete info. Good luck.

I am 6 weeks out and what Babbs said about the first 2 months is similiar for me.

I had some days in weeks 3-4 when I was getting over 600 calories, because I had to add a Protein shake to get my Protein to the 90-100 range.

If you are sticking to 60 grams of protein you should stay around 500 calories.

I keep carbs under 25 grams, but I count net, not total carbs (subtracting fiber).

I was just wondering this too. My calorie count was 233 and I was dizzy so I had another Protein Shake (syntrax twisted cherry) so I'm up to 333 now. I'm 3 1/2wks out and in puréed stage.

Consult your NUT. Calorie goals will vary from individual to individual. However the point of the first 6 -8 months is to keep calories low . We all have plenty of fat reserves to live off of so as long as we hit protein/fluid and supplement goals we'll be okay.I think I did something like 400 - 600 the first 4 mths then did 800 calories until month 8 or 9. Even now I hit between 1000 and 1100 calories a day. I'm hitting a Protein goal of 100gms and work out 4 - 6 days a week.

I was told 60-80g Protein and 64oz Water MINIMUM. And to stay away from bread, Pasta, rice, sweets and alcohol. That's it. The nut even laughed when I asked about calories and fat vs nonfat yogurt. She said I will be eating so little that as long as I was getting my Protein and Water and following the guidelines I certainly didn't have to worry about calories, fats or carbs.

So I never did bother to count or track or measure. I get my protein, I drink my water, take my Vitamins, I eat healthy and eat smart. It's very simple and at two years out and maintaining 10 pounds below goal, turns out she was right.

I was, however, concerned about not wanting to be low cal for very long....didn't want my metabolism slowing down. So I did "spot check" my calories a few times. I was never below 500 and mostly stayed at 600-800 the first 4 months, was up to 1000 at 6 months, 1200 by 8-10 months and last I checked, about 10 months ago, I was maintaining at 1400-1600 calories. I've never counted carbs or fat, so can't help you there.

Edited by Kindle