Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Week After - Back to Work!

Hi there!

So I work in IT and it's a not very physical job most days. The majority of the labor I have to do is possibly carry a monitor to a desk or move around a laptop.

I had my surgery on the 18th and I went back to work on the 24th. Some people I had surgery with are taking another two weeks off and are completely amazed. But I was walking laps around the hospital while they were only going feet, so I'm not sure if I'm doing really well or if I'm some bizarre case.

They've also expressed amazement that I have no problem going up stairs, which give me no discomfort at all.

Sure, I get sore, and take a pain pill before I go to bed at night, but I don't really feel like I'm pushing my body too hard. When I get tired, I sit down for a bit and then get up again.

I guess after all this ramble I just wanted to know if there was anyone else out there who, like me, doesn't seem to need as long to recover as most.

@@ITGeekGirl - I work a pretty physical job and its about 50/50 between that and computer time. I went back to work 12 days after being sleeved. I couldve gone back the Monday after (it was a Wednesday for surgery). I just had to be careful about NOT picking up the really heavy stuff post because I am required to list 40lbs unassisted.

I felt great and really feel better now :)

I had a similar recovery - very seemless. We are lucky.

I took very few pain pills, 2 if I remember correctly and that mostly so I could sleep. I, too, started walking immediately after surgery, building up to wandering around the parking lot of the condo complex where we stayed. I traveled for surgery and we stayed a week after surgery - that was overkill, but I was prepared in case something went south. Flying a week after surgery was not big deal other than I couldn't lift my computer bag. I telecommute and only took 3 days off...surgery day and two days after. I think if I had to go to an office, I would have been fine after a week.

Congrats on your speedy recovery and your weight loss thus far!

@@hopefullythininme - I work with about 2500 co-workers and of the couple of hundred or so that see me daily started stopping and asking if I am okay. I gave in about a month ago and share my WLS story. Most were concerned that I was sick. Its nice to be complimented :)

I have told everyone that I will NOT share the current weight though (a girl has to have some privacy). Most of the co-workers are guys and I don't get asked for numbers, thank goodness. The girls wants numbers....I don't share. I am evil ;D

I am similar to you. I work in IT, mostly deskwork with the occasional server/monitor/network device move. I went back to work 10 days after surgery. I didn't take any pain killers once I left the hospital and was driving 2 days after I got home. been business as usually every since...except for whats on the menu hehe.

I took vacation for my surgery. didn't tell anyone I was having a surgery except my immediate supervisor (who works about 6 states away and I have never seen in person) even still I told him it was a Hernia surgery. most people thought I was just on vacation. a couple people found out I was having surgery but no one knows its WLS. everyone thinks it was a hernia surgery...it will stay that way as long as I can keep it that way.

@hopefullythinme I've pretty much told anyone who asked what kind of surgery I'm having. Mostly because I'm not ashamed at all. It's not easy, it's hard work.

And how much Fluid are you able to get down each day? And Protein? I'm doing well on both but admit its "like a job." I'm certainly glad I took the second week off.

I felt almost completely normal 5 days post op.

Never took a pain pill and went back to work 1 week after surgery.

I can't believe how easy this recovery has been.

I'm scheduled for my Sleeve tomorrow morning. I live and work in Kenya which is in Africa. I work full time so I'm only getting 5 days off and will be back at work next week.

Im a banker, so mainly desk duties.

Hoping to have the same energy and post op experience as you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches