Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hashimoto's and success with sleeve?

I am considering the sleeve but I have a few questions...

1. I have Hashimoto's hypothyroid and low adrenal function, so slow metabolism, cold, sluggish, tired etc.

Have any of you who have had Hashimoto's and had sleeve surgery been successful with weight loss?

2. I am on a super healthy, low calorie diet (for me, low calorie at the moment is around 1500-1700 calories otherwise I am hungry). I just cannot lose even with eating VERY healthy foods. Do you think the sleeve, with restriction to around 800 calories would make a difference even with very bad metabolism? I have always thought the sleeve and bypass were for people that overate excessively (SORRY if that's a bad judgment, but maybe I am ignorant). Anyway, wondering if cutting down from 1500 to 800 would make that much of a difference... any thoughts? I feel like I have such a slow metabolism!!!

3. Why is there a pre surgery diet to lose weight? Surely if we COULD lose then we would just do that? I can't even lose ONE LB and so am desperate... I can't imagine being able to lose weight prior to the surgery?

Thanks for any help. I am nervous about surgery but can't seem to do anything else to lose... have LITERALLY tried EVERYTHING!

4. Anyone out there try EVERYTHING and then have the sleeve and that worked???

Thanks !!!

Edited by BHopeful

Had hypothyroidism and most of my thyroid removed. Not Hasimotos. My endo was all for this. I only need to lose 60-65 lbs but my sugar was high, triglycerides and cholesterol too, even with a bmi of 35. So far down 33 lbs. Sleeved July 10.

I have hashimoto's and I am over 100lbs down with 40-50 more to go. I too had a very hard time losing anything prior to surgery. I see my endocrinologist every 3-6 months and he is so pleased with my loss. Best wishes to you!!

I want to ask a few questions to. I am new to this site. I have Hashimotos and fibromyalgia. Autoimmune diseases are the worst. I take 200 m of thyroxine and am constantly exhausted. Plus all the other things I take for pain and reflux. My body is truely a mess..I am post menopausal and my hashimotos has gone out of control. My weight gain has been 20kg( sorry I am Australian ) about 55lbs. In 4 years... Just crazy. I have been on every diet known to man...lol...hence my name...

So I have been reading what others with the same disease are saying and they do have success. My 1st appointment is next week. Do the Drs know the true answer to malabsorption of Vitamins? Having autoimmune diseases I am concerned getting more such as Parkinson's because of lack of the proper vitamins to support my body? Will the vitamins I take orally be enough will they absorb? Should I get Vitamin injections instead.

What are the crucial questions to ask the Dr in my first visit?

Looking forward to hearing back from you any thoughts will be well received.

My thyroid is also out of whack and on levothryroxine 100 mcg , my weight has gone up in the last 7 months and I don't know if insurance will approve it or not now. I wondered too about the weight loss after surgery because I can't seem to loose any before. I have started my liquid diet now for the last week and have not lost what I need to .....

Hashimotos is just the worst Would you believe I was a flight attendant and weighed 57kilos ( 35years ago) I now weigh 107 kilos and gaining. My hashimotos started 20 years ago. It's just since hitting menopause that it's completely derailed. Gain in the just 4 years has been 20 kilos. I have been on isagenix diet for 3 months now two Protein Shakes per day and normal meal at night. I have gained weight but I feel really well. My triglycerides and chol are down.My encrinologist was the one who suggested the sleeve. She is of the opinion that my body for whatever reason is over absorbing nutrients and storing fat. She has had great success with weight loss with other hashimotos patients. So here I am. If this doesn't work well I just don't know what will. Too much exercise depletes the adrenal glands whatever is left of them. I am just so sick of being sick all the time. If my weight comes off I may be able to do things I can't now. Like walk 3 blocks or swim 10 lengths of a pool,without stopping.mRun and play with my grandchildren. Just looking at nutrient now

My son was told he had it while on lithium. Then after he came from the lithium his thyroid is normal. He was always slim with an active metobolism.