Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band removed 3 years ago, now thinking Sleeve?

Oh the lapband, the first year was great. I was mostly compliant and lost 65 lbs. Then, in one weekend, I thought I was going to die. Turns out I had a slippage with 2 little pouches. So I went in for a revision. I tried my best to hold onto that band. I didn't want to gain the weight back. You know the deal, vomiting all the time, but worst than that, trapped gas. So after another year of all that, it had to come out. Now, 3 yrs later, I'm heavier than ever at 343. In this year I have been down to 313 and back up to this weight. I can drop and gain the same 7/lbs over and over. Water weight.

So now I want to thoroughly investigate the sleeve. My concerns are #1: excessive Scar tissue as that was to blame for band removal, #2 do you get trapped gas with sleeve, heck I still have it, and #3: I have Dercum's Disease. Does anyone else have Dercum's and WLS?

So can some of you help me make a decision? I'm not doing good on my own. I have severe osteoarthritis and this weight is dragging me down. I thought I had done my investigating with the band but no, I didn't do enough.

Really, mostly concerned about Scar tissue... Please give me your thoughts.

Scar tissue isn't typically a problem, just a lil more work for surgeon, as they need to remove it. I would not worry too much about it.

My suggestion - do the RNY. I had the lap band 2005; then sleeve 2008; NOW getting what I have avoided due to fear RNY 9/14/15. Not to say you will not be successful with the sleeve, because you will, BUT as with any WLS - need to watch your diet and need to exercise- bottom line. Personally, my feeling is, anyone with a BMI 49 or higher should have the RNY. This is my LAST rodeo! I have Osteoarthritis also, along with Multiple Sclerosis, and had a total knee replacement last year. I am 42 and have had about enough now.

Good Luck with your decision! Make sure you search deep. Ask yourself truthfully, why is it you want the sleeve.

God Bless

I had lap band for 4 years, and developed prolapse then 9 months later a slip with horrible heartburn and reflux. I have had it removed, and initially wanted the sleeve but my surgeon said that a sleeve would make the reflux worse due to the high pressure a sleeve causes. Banding is a restrictive procedure and so is sleeve. He told me weight loss would be slower with sleeve going from restrictive to a restrictive. He also said sleeve would be more risky after banding and would put me at greatest risks for leaks and it would be a more complicated procedure. Plus once they remove your stomach, it is gone forever. With bypass, you can keep your stomach and it is reversible, not easily and not done often but it can be done. After doing research, I found out he was right. He told me that RNY has been performed since the 1970's and there is alot of research. He also said that I could do the sleeve and run the risk of heartburn and possible 75 pounds loss with diet compliance and exercise, and if the heartburn gets to be too much to revise to RNY......no thx, don't want heartburn, and don't want to keep having surgeries. He said I could lose about 100 more pounds with RNY and weight loss would be a bit easier with diet and exercise. I am choosing RNY and in the process of meeting insurance requirements, for bypass in late October or early November. As far as making a choice, this choice should be yours because it will be happening to your body. Do more research on both procedures. These forums are great for all opinions, but everyone is different and what may work for some, may not for others. Get 2nd or 3rd opinions, and gather as much info to help you feel comfortable in your choice. I truly wish you the best in whichever you decide. :)

I think with the scarring you will have slightly more discomfort and pain after, th gas isn't too bad especially if you try to get into the habit of walking, I had just posted on the Band last week because some of my friends have had numerous complications, I chose the sleeve because I don't trust the band, and I thought gastric bypass would alter my system too much, it was the right decision for me, I started at 388 in January and on June 10th at surgery was at 346, today almost two and a half months out I am at 296, I feeling great and I'm happy my stomach doesn't hold a lot of food, my new normal is great and the only side effects I've had are reflux(I control it with Prilosec) and I've suffered from dehydration twice, both times my fault, but I'm feeling like never before, and I don't think I will go back there again, I wanted this and I am committed....... Good luck

Scar tissue isn't typically a problem, just a lil more work for surgeon, as they need to remove it. I would not worry too much about it.

My suggestion - do the RNY. I had the lap band 2005; then sleeve 2008; NOW getting what I have avoided due to fear RNY 9/14/15. Not to say you will not be successful with the sleeve, because you will, BUT as with any WLS - need to watch your diet and need to exercise- bottom line. Personally, my feeling is, anyone with a BMI 49 or higher should have the RNY. This is my LAST rodeo! I have Osteoarthritis also, along with Multiple Sclerosis, and had a total knee replacement last year. I am 42 and have had about enough now.

Good Luck with your decision! Make sure you search deep. Ask yourself truthfully, why is it you want the sleeve.

God Bless

. I'm concerned about excessive Scar tissue because my doctor told me that it had formed a band around the base of my lapband. I'm just worried about forming more and it binding me up per say.

The reason I'm considering sleeve over RNY is absorption. My sister had bypass and that has been a major issue for her.

All that being said, I'm open to what is best for me. I do have a BMI over 49. I think it is 53. Also, I'm diabetic. Both are good points to suggest RNY over Sleeve, plus I don't won't to have to get another surgery that would be just putting my body through so much.

I suppose I need to start the process over again. And do much more research. I think you both. Both of you have given me more to consider. I appreciate it. Thanks

I think with the scarring you will have slightly more discomfort and pain after, th gas isn't too bad especially if you try to get into the habit of walking, I had just posted on the Band last week because some of my friends have had numerous complications, I chose the sleeve because I don't trust the band, and I thought gastric bypass would alter my system too much, it was the right decision for me, I started at 388 in January and on June 10th at surgery was at 346, today almost two and a half months out I am at 296, I feeling great and I'm happy my stomach doesn't hold a lot of food, my new normal is great and the only side effects I've had are reflux(I control it with Prilosec) and I've suffered from dehydration twice, both times my fault, but I'm feeling like never before, and I don't think I will go back there again, I wanted this and I am committed....... Good

Happy for your success. You have done really well..thanks for your input.

I have revised to Sleeve. I had major amounts of scar tissue, which he cleaned out when he removed the band. It is my understanding that he also removed some scar tissue when he did the Sleeve surgery. My recovery was effortless. I was off pain meds in 2 days and back at work on the 7th day post op. The heartburn/reflux is a valid point. I do get heartburn and take Prilosec daily. Prilosec controls it completely, so it isn't an issue at all unless I skip them for more than a day or two. I know that others choose Bypass over the possibility of acid issues, but honestly adding an acid blocker to your daily Vitamins and pills is not an issue.

I do agree with a previous poster that says a higher BMI person might want to choose Bypass over Sleeve. The weight loss is initially faster, which is such an improvement in overall health. And the malabsorbtion aspect might help with a larger amount to lose. It will boil to your personal choice, or your surgeons recommendation. Do your research on medical sites that offer statistics on long term results and possible complications. Most of us that offer personal opinions are biased towards the surgery we have LOL!

Thank you Mel.....very nervous