Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Sleevers! 3+ months out....How is everyone doing?

Hi May Sleevers :)

I thought by now everyone sleeved in May would probably have settled into a bit more of a routine or at least gotten past some of the initial surgery questions. I imagine some of us have some great NSV's as well as some challenges. Soo.....I thought I would send up a general question to get a discussion started. I would love to hear how everyone else is doing. I am going to post my progress/thoughts below.

For me: I have just past the 3 month mark (surgery was May 18). The first few weeks were tough because of my internal stitch pulling, but at the 3-4 week mark it just popped and everything got much better. No real nausea and I could do liquids pretty easily so that was a blessing. However, I didn't lose much weight in first few weeks. I think it was like 4-5 pounds. Most of this was probably due to swelling and healing so I didn't sweat it too much. I was even able to do a trip to Mexico City for work without any issues (I did take some Protein mixes as back up in case the food wasn't going to work).

July was a bit more challenging as I hit my first real stall. Thanks to everyone on this board posting about stalls, I didn't panic and kept to my plan. After about 1 1/2 weeks I suddenly started losing again. :) Yea! Also, I started telling people that I had the surgery, but only if they ask. I did tell my family after the 6 week mark just because I hate that feeling of being evasive when they know something is going on. I had wanted to wait until I was past the most risky time for complications so they wouldn't worry as much. Everyone seems fine with it, but if they aren't I have decided just to shrug and keep moving. It isn't their life and they don't have to live with it so their opinion isn't really that important. Not thumbing my nose at them, just deciding not to let it bother me. :)

August has seen some good changes and a little bit of a concern. I hit Onedurland on my 3 month surgerversary, which is a total loss of 57 pounds. I have also dropped several sizes which lead to a closet purge and a day of trying stuff on. That totally counts as a NSV in my world. :) People have really started to notice and are asking me what I am doing. If they ask me directly I am honest. I also try to say that there are other ways to lose weight and just doing a high Protein - low carb approach can work just as well. I just knew I wouldn't be able to stick to it. I think I am really helping out the sales of Premier Protein which seem to be flying off the shelves of my Sam's and costco. Maybe I should ask to be a sales rep. ;) The one concern I have is rather recent, and I am not really sure if it is a real concern at the point. Over the last week I have noticed an increase in what might be a little bit of heart burn. I am really hoping that I don't get GERD from this so I am watching it closely. I was taking pepcid for the first 3 months on DR. orders (I also had a hiatial hernia fixed when they did the VSG) so I just went off it recently. The other thing is a small pain just to the left of my belly button. This just started in the last few days so I am going to watch it and talk to to the PA about it next week if it doesn't go away. I should be well past the point of having stitches pull or anything like that.

I still struggle with eating out and limiting carbs (insert Mexican restaurant chips here...). I am also still figuring out how to fit in exercise but that has always been a challenge for me.

Anyway, I would love to hear how this journey is going for everyone else. I know it isn't the same for everyone and I love to hear the different perspectives. It helps so much to know you aren't in this alone.

I feel better reading your post, so thanks for that. I am 19 days post op and have not lost much weight since surgery, and getting very discouraged, but after you said you did not either the first few weeks, i still have hope. I am the type if it does not occur right away, without the sleeve I would have said, see it's not working and probably go back to overeating but now can't and thats the whole point to this, so for that I am grateful. Thanks for your post, good luck to both of us, I hope that scale starts moving soon.

@@sbg224 -

Hang in there. The weight will come off. One thing that others have said, and I am finding to be true is that this is a marathon, not a sprint. I know those first few weeks it feels like a sprint and everything is measured in days, but remember this is for life, the weight will come off! After you get past two months it starts to feel more normal, but like I said. Stalls will happen. In those moments of "WTF?" Just take a deep breath and remind yourself it is going to be alright. Stick to the mantra - Protein first and get in all your liquids. I have been surprised at how much more liquid my body needs now. ????. Good luck on your journey.

Hi there..I too was sleeved may 11th, eating out is challenging I don't eat much on my plate. I bring home most of my meal and the waitress says was everything ok? It's a lil embarassing. But I have adjusted. I have lost 48 lbs. my main struggle now is thinning hair. What would you say is your biggest struggle?