Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the 50 something bypass patients?

I constantly run into Sleevers in their 50s and 60s but I would love to get to know some of you who are bypassers. Seems our life experiences and potential difficulties may make us good support for each other! (You know, little things like menopause, arthritis, etc...). Please come out of "hiding" and gather here. I need to see yall in action! And would love to support you as well!

I'm here!! I had my by pass a week after my 56th birthday! I consider the surgery one of the best birthday presents ever!

I am still here too! 52 and feeling more alive than ever!

I am 51 and trying desperately to work my way to lap band to bypass revision....this has got to happen...50's are the new 30's in my book...but much wiser!!!

Cheri-J. I am also 56. I'm dreaming of a world of no arthritis! While I know that won't happen, I know my

flexibility and movement will increase and my pain level decrease.

So, for all of you, what do you think the biggest advantage of being 50 something when you have bypass is? Biggest disadvantage? Biggest struggle?

From my pre-op perspective, I think the biggest advantages are that I'm mature enough (theoretically) to know what I'm committing to and that while I do want to look and feel better in my body, my driving motivation is health and living the second half of my life well.

Disadvantage - I spent so many years in physical and emotional pain and bondage- always fighting with my weight and losing. There are ways in which I've done irreparable harm to my body.

Biggest struggle - this will probably change after surgery but right now it's probably that investigate and analyze and over-investigate and over-analyze.

Best wishes to all you 50 and 60's wherever you are in your journey. Let's stay in touch. Sometimes I feel like the majority of people here are getting sleeves (which makes me over-analyze! Lol) or are half my age! Love learning from them but also treasure insight and support of others who are in my situation.

I was on the lap to sleeve revision journey until I sat down and did my homework and really thought about it.For me I look at it this way...Inhad the choice at the time back in 2004 andvI went with "The hot new trend and flavor of the month "The lapband".....misery,failure and pain......I am now if given the right opportunity going to choose the bypass...,.I am going to go for the Gold!!!! Finally!!!:-)

Cheri-J. I am also 56. I'm dreaming of a world of no arthritis! While I know that won't happen, I know my

flexibility and movement will increase and my pain level decrease.

So, for all of you, what do you think the biggest advantage of being 50 something when you have bypass is? Biggest disadvantage? Biggest struggle?

From my pre-op perspective, I think the biggest advantages are that I'm mature enough (theoretically) to know what I'm committing to and that while I do want to look and feel better in my body, my driving motivation is health and living the second half of my life well.

Disadvantage - I spent so many years in physical and emotional pain and bondage- always fighting with my weight and losing. There are ways in which I've done irreparable harm to my body.

Biggest struggle - this will probably change after surgery but right now it's probably that investigate and analyze and over-investigate and over-analyze.

Best wishes to all you 50 and 60's wherever you are in your journey. Let's stay in touch. Sometimes I feel like the majority of people here are getting sleeves (which makes me over-analyze! Lol) or are half my age! Love learning from them but also treasure insight and support of others who are in my situation.

Hi ChooseHope

No sleeve for me! Because I WAS an insulin-dependent diabetic, by-pass was my best option. Also, I suffered from GERD for years and years and the sleeve, again, was a no go.

The biggest advantage of having this surgery after 50. Hmmm....besides having maturity and wisdom? Well, we've had 50+ years of eating behind us. Been there, done that. Also, my diabetes is in remission, I won't be having those knees replaced, and I feel good. As I inched closer to the retirement age, I secretly knew that with all my health issues, I wouldn't be around. If I was lucky enough to be around for retirement, I probably wouldn't have feet because of diabetes. What a fun retirement I had to look forward too. Dead or an amputee. Can I have more motivation than that?

Biggest disadvantage: My mental demons. But the demons are there, if I had surgery or not. I just have to apply everything I learned through the years and from my five years of therapy I am strong. I am worth this. And the biggest one: My wit and intelligence are my shield, not my fat.

Biggest struggle: Not getting discouraged when the honeymoon period is over. I am working on healthy habits now so that when that time comes, I will be mentally and physically ready. Struggles are opportunities to overcome and prove you can do it. I love the feeling of accomplishment over a challenge.

I'm glad you started this thread. We aren't the majority, but we can relate to each other.

Cheri-j - loved your "answers" - could so relate! Boy, do I know those mental demons! Thank God for a good therapist. You also made me think that I need to get it set in my mind that there really is a honeymoon period so I don't get discouraged when it happens!

Have any of you I our most distinguished age range (ahem), found that you lost weight slower than our younger counterparts?

I agree with all the advantages previously stated. One disadvantage for me at 56 when I had my surgery 18 months ago is the definite lack of elasticity in my skin. If I had had my bypass at a much younger age, I maybe wouldn't have had such flabby, hanging skin!

Im 50! I was banded in 09 and am getting revised to bpass. Im looking at about Dec for band removal and feb for the bypass, my biggest advantage is that living with the band for the last 6 years i have a good idea of what im getting into, biggest fear is long term bypass complications. Dont really care about the flabby skin, ive already got that!

I'm 58 years old and had my RNY on 9/1. It is very nice to find others in my age group on here sharing their experiences. At this point one of my biggest challenges is getting enough fluids in. I am looking forward to being able to have some puréed foods very soon.

I'm 55 and had my bypass April 27 of this year. I've lost close to 50 lbs since then (+another 15 lbs before starting this process.). Losing slower than some, but so grateful for the health benefits I am enjoying. My diabetes was out of control ... That is no longer the case. I have also hired a personal trainer ... one of the best things I have ever done for myself!

I'm 55 and am new to WLS. I have been thinking about this for quite awhile. I have my consultation on Wed.

I have been reading many posts about bypass. I decided on this because it is the gold standard and I think it has the best results from what I have read.

I have tried to diet and exercise but the results have been dismal. My health has been getting worse and I don't see an end in sight. In the past 18 months, I have had 8 rounds of shots in my back, and 3 radiofrequency ablations. And my pain from the osteoarthritis not only gets worse, but is spreading to my hips and knees. I can no longer walk unaided but need my cane. This has limited my activity. This summer was the worse! My 9 yr. old granddaughter, who I've practically raised from birth, came to stay with me for 7 weeks. I wasn't able to do the things that meant so much to her before.... no long walks in the woods, no hiking at our local park, no festivals and I constantly heard "Are you okay Ga?" from her when we did go out cause I was breathing so hard :(

I was also diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and have a BIPAP machine, it scared the crap out of her! She actually asked me what she had to do if the mask came off and I wasn't breathing!!! Talk about a wake up call!

The first time I saw obesity on my medical report, I was in denial...... see I haven't always been overweight. I haven't wanted to really say this on here but this is my reality. I was very thin until I was in my mid 30's. Then I started gaining and gaining. It began when I started my bipolar meds. One of the docs decided that I was too thin and put me on a med that took me from a size 7 to a size 16 in 3 months! And of course, it stayed in that range until I had my hysterectomy. Then I gained and gained.

Anyway, I don't want to be the fluffy Ga who can't do anything fun with her.... I want to be healthy and happy. I want to set a good example for her and my other granddaughter. I want to be there for their journey thru life.

I want to be able to live again and enjoy life for the next 40-50 years. I don't want to be in worse health than my 83 year old Mom, like I am now!

I'm glad I found this forum and all of you!

@@choosehope Yay - ladies my age! I'll turn 54 next month. I had bypass 4/21/15 and had my 5 month anniversary this past Monday. I took pics and will share them with y'all. As hard as it was to take those "before" pics, I'm so glad I did. I took pics in three different outfits. I took them again at 3 months and now at 5 since I hit a personal goal of "75 lbs" lost. I can't believe how that once tight 3X now hangs on me. It was my son's suggestion to hold my shirt out to show the difference. The black outfit is a size "L". Haven't been in regular size clothes in years. I have hit stalls along the way after my surgery but have upped my Protein to average an of 125 grams, keeping within my 850 calorie goal, so that seems to be doing the trick. I've been battling obesity for 30+ years so I will take my success and be happy with it as I feel blessed to have had this life changing operation. It's my second chance at life and I will NOT squander it!!!

HW: 285 lbs

SW: 257 lbs

CW: 181 lbs

post-236324-0-41898500-1443044887_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-85062700-1443044906_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-97836600-1443044913_thumb.jpg

Hi all! 54 here, had my RNY in February and have gone past goal, lost 102 lbs so far! Still firmly in the honeymoon/miracle phase here, can't believe I've been so successful. Thought for sure my age would put me at a disadvantage compared to all those youngsters having surgery at the same time, but strangely, my lifelong experiences with diet and weight loss gave me the advantage here. I know WAY more about the psychology of overeating than my youthful counterparts. I don't have to worry about pregnancy and PMS cravings. I'm already past the age of trying to impress young men with my outer beauty, and have already established that my inner beauty and health is much more important.

The downside to all this is that I've had to make adjustments in my social life. Drinking at parties and gatherings has been greatly reduced, which makes me a lot quieter, and some read that as less social. I can't have the obligatory pizza and beer at football parties, bringing my own Snacks instead.

Also, I sag. Everywhere. Not a ton, not so most people notice, but it makes me look old. My kids think I look much younger, but my clothes hide a lot. I'd love to have a full-body redesign, starting with those chest-pancakes that once filled out a D cup, but now look silly in a B, unless amply shaped and padded. But after 2 breast fed children, that was bound to happen anyway.

I am so glad I did this, and none of the down sides even come close to the up sides. Arthritis reduced, BP reduced, A1C back to normal, off CPAP machine, no more plantar fasciitis, and I can shop in the NICE stores for clothing! My feet have even gone down a half size, so I can sometimes wear size 10 shoes! (Those with large feet understand the struggle).