Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

College Anyone?

Hey all you lovely people!

I was wondering if any of you will be dorming away at school this year. I was wondering how you guys find time to workout with your busy schedules. Also I was wondering if you stick to having a Protein Shake while on a meal plan. Feel free to comment or message me. Talk to you soon!

I've been through college and two grad degrees, and let me tell you, it's not easy, and truth be told, it may not happen exactly right in the very beginning. If you eat sensibly, you can definitely avoid the Freshman 15, but it may honestly take you until a year is up to really get your academic and personal lives to jibe. The best way to fight this, other than following your diet (also hard in a new place where everybody is gorging on junk and drinking themselves to oblivion), is to join a formal fitness group on campus that holds workouts. It usually isn't hard to find a level that is appropriate for you. That is so much better a way to build your social network then stuff like debate society, college democrats/republicans, chess team, and whatever else.

I agree that trying to work out during the week, especially between classes, is very tricky and millions of excuses (pretty good ones I'd say) exist to not do it. My best piece of advice is to block out an area of time (usually on a Friday, if it is like most schools), when you don't really want to start intensive studying yet after the week's slog, but don't really have a rat race of classes or activities. That leaves your nights open to have fun, and at least three mornings a week (Fri, Sat, Sun) to stay healthy and fit. Good luck!

I am well past my college years but have worked in higher ed for years and taught a freshman seminar class for quite a few semesters. I also have a couple of degrees!

I would recommend that you get and use a calendar and plan out your meals, Snacks, and exercise time along with your classes, study time, social time, sleep, etc. put everything on your calendar.

You can join a group fitness class and/or schedule time in the recreation center for gym time or swim time (or whatever you like todo) and treat it like all of your other classes.

You can join an intermural or club team. Sports are fun ways to exercise and meet people. In college, there are clubs for everything.

Especially if you are on a large campus, take advantage of the opportunities to walk.

Enjoy your time at school but be smart about your time and your priorities. Being healthy and fit will definitely be a benefit to your academics so don't put your food plan and exercise (and sleep!) on the back burner.

Stay in touch Let us know how you are doing and what works for you.

Hi there! I was wondering how college has been going for you. I am in my last semester of college and will be getting sleeved in March over my spring break. I'm pretty nervous, needless to say.

Edited by cmk002

I would love to hear about how everyone is doing, too!

What specific tips have helped you be successful after WLS while in college?

Any surprises?

Particular challenges?

What advice would you give to a college student who is contemplating WLS?

I'm starting my last year of college this August, and I'm hoping to get sleeved before then. I'm nervous for the same reasons. I want to find time to workout to avoid excess stress and to hopefully help my body adjust to the hormonal process that the surgery unavoidably offers. My school and work schedule leave little time for a workout, but I joined a gym that holds workouts as early as 5 AM. I'm hoping to squeeze in at least three early morning workouts a week. It's just a matter of managing your time in a way that promotes a healthy lifestyle. That sentence sounds so cliche, but I've found that it's true. College is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to adulthood, so I think life just gets busier and harder from this point on (which SUCKS).

Just give yourself a realistic goal when it comes to implementing gym time. Whether it be working out one day a week or three days a week, stick to it and it's automatically a win.