Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling depressed today

Thanks for the info but I ended up having a total gastrectomy and am recovering well. I no longer need the Patches. I experience quite a bit of pain from stomach cramping but patches don't help that. I am told the cramping will go away in time.

Hi @@NoMoreFatGuy, glad to hear you are recovering well from the gastrectomy! I just met with my medical team this morning to discuss my upcoming gastrectomy as my final, experimental treatment at the mayo Clinic has been deemed a failure. The meeting today didn't go very well. There were lots of potential risks discussed due to my complicated history. Death was discussed. Not many positive things were said, unfortunately, and I left feeling overwhelmingly depressed. I'm due to go under the knife in three weeks and am hoping I have a smooth recovery. I must say, hearing that you have had the same thing done and are recovering nicely is great news, both for you and myself! It makes me a little more confident that something they do to me will actually work for a change!

Hang in there and good luck with the rest of your recovery! Hopefully I'll be right behind you.

@@Some Guy

I don't know your history so I can't speak to the risks but I am slowly recovering and the prognosis is good. I did have another leak after the gastrectomy which depressed me tremendously but my swallow study last Monday showed no leak. I am slowly building up my tolerance to food and slowly healing. My drain tube comes out on Monday and my feeding tube should come out in the next couple weeks. They say it will be two to three months til I am anything close to normal and maybe a year to get to totally normal. It is still better than living with the leak for 6 months. I feel like I actually have a future now.

Hi guys. Im a 49 year old woman now and can sympathize with your stories. Your posts are a little old but I just ran across them. I ,too, had a leak from gastric sleeve June 2015 and still have it to this day. I am I guess what you call a "functioning" leaker. I don't run fevers and work and live normally every day. However I have shoulder and diaphragm pain that comes and goes. I've been on pain Patches, pills, etc. Doctor doesn't really know what to do with me. He's scared to go in and do too much because he did one time and I almost died. This leak just will not go away. I stay on antibiotics daily. No other doctor really wants to see me.....will I ever heal?????