Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experienced Bansters-Question about Hair Loss

I was banded at the end of Dec. which makes me right at 6 months

out. My hair started falling out at 4 months. Some people say

it's lack of Protein, but I don't think that's it. When I dieted in all the

past years, I never had hair loss.I ate way less protein on

all my other fad diets. A lot of people say it's from the

anesthesia. I don't really care what it's from. I just want it to stop!

My question is, when does it stop? How long does this go on before

it slows down?

Thanks!

If anyone thinks I posted this in the wrong part of the board, please tell me.

I really want to know from people who have had their bands awhile, how long

it took before their hair quit falling out.

I dont believe its from lack of Protein either.

I'd be lying if I said I had no hair loss, but it was very very minimal, I suffered a lack of condition more than anything, and a lot of breakage. I was beginning to get extremely worried. But its passed now, only lasted a month or two.

I really believe its just from the sustained fat loss. Dieting per se doesnt cause it but not many people embark on a lifestyle change as different from their previous life as being banded and maintain it for that long. We're limited in what we can eat and sure to run low on one nutrient or another and I believe it just catches up with most of us at whatever point that our own bodily stores of things begins to run out. But we seem to normalise again.

Its only a small percentage of people really do truly go almost bald or really have noticeable, problematic thinning. Hopefully you wont be one of them. In the meantime, there's little that's more anxiety promoting. I'd rather be fat than lose my hair, quite honestly.

I didnt do anything special diet wise, all I take is a multi, I did recommit to looking after my hair obsessively - I have delicate hair at the best of times. Redken CAT after every single Shampoo, before conditioner and after a few weeks the breakage stopped. I've always tried to improve the frizzy dry texture of my hair with moisturising, but the Protein treatments are what really really helped it.

You should be getting near the end of it. I was REALLY concerned at the stage you're at. It does stop -- I promise. I lost about 1/3 of my hair between months 4-6, then it slowed and stopped. Once it stopped, within a month my hair was fuller again, and by the year mark, I could tell no difference in my pre-band/post-band head of hair.

I know it's scary, but it will stop. It doesn't stop all at once -- it's gradual.

I don't know what causes it either. I think it's rapid weight loss, whether by surgery or otherwise. I don't think it's lack of Protein, because like you, I get plenty. I also don't think it's anesthesia, because I've never had this with any other surgery. Anyway, it does stop.

Im am a hairdresser. In the last 10 years I have seen clients thin from many things. Many women start to thin after having a baby, they come in freaking out and If I ask how old is the baby? They are always 4-6 months old. It does pass! Im scared too! I have fine hair annd I wear is short. I plan on using Nioxon when I get surgery in a couple weeks. Im gonna get started early to try to prevent. The #1 reason I see Hair loss is STRESS, then thyroid, Birth of a child and weight loss. I have not heard anyone complain about anesthesia. The more you stress the more it will fall out. Keep taking your supplements.< /p>

I think we all have our own triggers for hair loss. For lots of people, surgery of any kind will do it. I lost hair after having both my children, after lapbanding surgery, after my endoscopy, and after my band REMOVAL surgery. (That last one clearly has nothing to do with weight loss!) My head just drops hair anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months after a trauma, I guess.

It comes back, every time.

I shed hair in the Spring, but this Spring at about 5 months after surgery, I dropped twice the hair. Then no more, a nd it's growing back. It turned out not to be a big deal. Not that I'm equating us with horses, but I once rescued a horse who was starving to death, and she had stopped growing hair and hooves, I guess in an effort to conserve what nutrition she could find. Somehow seems slightly similar. (PS: She recovered beautifully.)

Hair loss after babies isnt usually true thinning though - your hair doesnt fall out as much while you're pregnant and its all this "extra" hair that comes away once your hormones start to normalise again. That;s why you often have such glorious hair during pregnancy.

Hello,

Thank God I found this support forum. I was almost going insane, I had my lap ban surgery this past February 24, and it had gone great, I have just 11 kilos to loose. I'm in my 6 month after the procedure, but last month I notice that I lost hair in big amounts, I was reall y worried,but after reading from your experience, I have hope it will grow back.

I'm from Mexico,

Hair loss after babies isnt usually true thinning though - your hair doesnt fall out as much while you're pregnant and its all this "extra" hair that comes away once your hormones start to normalise again. That;s why you often have such glorious hair during pregnancy.

Ahh, that makes sense! Somehow I skipped the "glorious hair" part, though. :)