Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved August 5, home today!

I was sleeved on August 5th! Thought I would share some of my experiences thus far. My surgery was the first of the day, at 8:30 a.m. It went well -- about 1 hours and 15 minutes. I was stuck in recovery until 2:30 p.m. because the resident forgot to send orders to release me, but that was the only glitch.

Got up to my room, feeling pretty groggy. I did use the pain meds the first two days in the hospital -- I don't know how often I pushed that little button, but it was pretty regular. I slept a lot. My big incision on the left is still pretty painful, so I am continuing to take pain meds for the time being. If I don't have the pain meds, it's hard to cough, and it's very painful when I need to get up. Otherwise, things seem to be going great.

The first day in the hospital I was allowed only sponges in my mouth for moisture -- my mouth was so dry! It was wonderful to finally get ice chips on the second day. Today, day 3, prior to being released, I was allowed some liquids, and was given some Jello, cream of wheat and apple juice. I found the Jello rather painful in my stomach. I ate about 3 spoons of the cream of wheat, and was supposed to drink 60 cc's of fluids every hour. I had no problem with this at all -- in fact, I was thirsty and could have drunk more Water.

My doctor also prescribes pills, so this morning I took an antacid, 2 oxycodone, a HUGE gall bladder pill, and Vitamins. I was actually really surprised; I've read that pills are hard to swallow after the sleeve. But my doctor said it's usually not a problem -- nor does he have a problem with gummy vitamins. I was able to take the pills just fine; I just timed 7 minutes between each one.

Now I'm home and I'm not sure how I can get in all the Protein. My doctor's orders are simply to get 60 grams of Protein each day for now, and to take an antacid, a gallbladder pill, and Vitamins daily. So far I've had 1/4 cup of butternut Soup with 1/4 packet of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder and 4 ounces of Pure Protein Drink. I am pretty full!

I will be on liquids until August 14, and then move to pureed food.

My biggest problems are a lot of gas -- I've been walking since day one in the hospital, and it does seem to help. Also, the big incision on my left side hurts whenever I need to get up.

So, that's my report to date. Any other August 5 or recent sleevers out there who want to share?

I don't have a surgery date yet but thank you for sharing your experience so far. I find it helpful. ;)

Congratulations....Sounds great!Keep us posted!

I don't have a surgery date yet but thank you for sharing your experience so far. I find it helpful. ;)

Glad if it's helpful. I spent hundreds of hours on here reading everyone's posts, and it was SO helpful.

I'm an August 5 date with surgery at 12:30 pm. I have been using oxycodone along with Tylenol and ibuprofen as scheduled to reduce the use of narcotics. But it does hurt. I've been sleeping a lot but it doesn't help that I have hypersomnia. I spent 23 hours in the hospital and have been taking two ounces of lo cal Gatorade and two ounces premier plus Protein supplement every hour. I don't feel hungry but take it anyway. I'm assuming the OCC chest pain is heartburn which was horrific right after surgery. My stomach also gurgles a lot after I drink and I thought I would throw up at one point but didn't. Does the pro powder you use blend well? The one I tried was a bit lumpy. I'm pretty tired.

I was Aug 5th as well. Spent 2 days in the hospital on a clear liquid diet, i.e. Water, chicken broth and apple juice. I didnt drink a whole lot at first so i pretty much had to force myself to get in my liquids. The last thing i wanted was to get dehydrated and be kept longer. I was released yesterday and the car ride home was bumpy. Have a pillow over your belly! It helps! So today is day 3 post op and my first full day at home. I am starting back on a full liquid diet today and began taking my Vitamins and chews etc. I found out the hard way that i should take a nausea pill before my vitamins as my sleeve isnt accustomed yet to them and i nearly threw up, which hurt like hell! Im taking it slow with Protein Shakes this morning hoping things will get a bit easier. I really havent taken much as far as pain killers. Im not in hardly any pain, just from the larger incision on my left side. Otherwise, i feel just dandy!

Glad to hear that you are doing well. Thanks for sharing your experiences. As you know those of us who are waiting for our date appreciate you sharing them. Take care and congratulations!

I had surgery Aug 4th at 11am. I was in recovery until about 4 because they didn't have a room. I was pretty sleepy for about 24 hours so I did a lot of sleeping and walking. I had the barium x-ray on Wednesday morning and it was awful. I barfed it all back up but kept it down long enough for them to check for leaks. After that I was cleared to have broth, Jello, Water, and juice. I really didn't want anything while I was in the hospital. I came home Thursday and got all of my Protein in yesterday which made me super happy. I haven't gotten all of my water in yet so I'm working on that today. My biggest issue is the exhaustion. I have 2 small children and am used to going and doing things all day. Now I put laundry in and have to sit down. Veterans, how long does this last? I have basically no pain since the gas is getting better. My incisions never hurt, they're just itchy.

The gas pains do get easier as the first week goes on. :)

I'm an August 5 date with surgery at 12:30 pm. I have been using oxycodone along with Tylenol and ibuprofen as scheduled to reduce the use of narcotics. But it does hurt. I've been sleeping a lot but it doesn't help that I have hypersomnia. I spent 23 hours in the hospital and have been taking two ounces of lo cal Gatorade and two ounces premier plus Protein supplement every hour. I don't feel hungry but take it anyway. I'm assuming the OCC chest pain is heartburn which was horrific right after surgery. My stomach also gurgles a lot after I drink and I thought I would throw up at one point but didn't. Does the pro powder you use blend well? The one I tried was a bit lumpy. I'm pretty tired.

Hi Karmasgotcha, I'm using unjury chicken flavored. If I mix it really well, it does blend without many lumps. I'm like you -- I don't feel very hungry at all. I'm just trying to figure out how to do all the fluids and time it so the liquids are 30 minutes before and one hour after eating. I made myself a spreadsheet/table and printed a bunch of copies out. It has all of my meals, liquids, and pills listed so I can check them off as I take them.

I have a question for you about the Ibuprofen: my doctor told me I cannot take Ibuprofen or anything but Tylenol for life, due to liver or kidney issues. Does yours allow it?

I had surgery Aug 4th at 11am. I was in recovery until about 4 because they didn't have a room. I was pretty sleepy for about 24 hours so I did a lot of sleeping and walking. I had the barium x-ray on Wednesday morning and it was awful. I barfed it all back up but kept it down long enough for them to check for leaks. After that I was cleared to have broth, Jello, Water, and juice. I really didn't want anything while I was in the hospital. I came home Thursday and got all of my Protein in yesterday which made me super happy. I haven't gotten all of my Water in yet so I'm working on that today. My biggest issue is the exhaustion. I have 2 small children and am used to going and doing things all day. Now I put laundry in and have to sit down. Veterans, how long does this last? I have basically no pain since the gas is getting better. My incisions never hurt, they're just itchy.

Wow, that is really impressive! I haven't been able to get all my Protein in yet. So glad you're not in pain. If your incisions are itchy, you could try Benadryl, but it really knocks me out, for the day after I take it too. I haven't been doing any chores yet. I'm really impressed you're doing laundry etc!

If I didn't do the laundry it wouldn't get done. I won't let anyone touch my washer. Our house is for sale too so the house has to stay clean which is almost impossible with 4 and 6 yr old boys home all day.

Hang in there!

I was Aug. 5, went home the 6th. No gas pains since 5th and like some of the others the left side hurts. 3rd day at home and it's mulch easier to get up and out of bed. Not taking any of the nausea meds but keeping them on hand. Seldom use the oxycodone.

The problem I'm having is what to eat? Nothing really tastes good to me except juice. I hate the shakes but they're the only source of Protein. Plus I haven't gone to the bathroom (#2) since before the surgery.

I just choke down the Protein at this point. I don't want to get sick so I just suck it up and do it. I wore myself out today, took my kids to Sky Zone, out to lunch (which was strange because I didn't eat), and to the mall. I've been sitting still since 6pm. I actually feel great.

So, when do you weigh? I don't see my surgeon for at least another week. Just wondering. In other news, my bras are already too big, really? I lose my boobs FIRST?