Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"The Dreaded Stall" explanation

I think I figured out the reason for the stall and knowing this makes me feel better.

During the liquid diet and the weeks following surgery, there is a huge shift of eating "normally" or even overeating to barely eating. Of course there's going to be a huge weight drop in the beginning. You lose all the Fluid from hospitalization, you're eating next to nothing, and the most important factor, you're losing muscle mass because you're recovering from surgery and not moving a lot.

About 3 weeks following surgery you begin to gain that muscle back. You're able to eat more Protein,, and most importantly, you're much more active. This explains why the weight doesn't melt off, while many report that they are still losing inches. You're trading fat-weight for muscle-weight, which is actually heavier.

In time you're muscle mass will plateau and more fat will burn off, thus ending the stall.

The next stall may occur as your fitness is taken to the next level and more muscle is gained while fat is being lost.

It's best to concentrate on inches lost, and how you feel and look...weighing once a week or if you can stand it, every two weeks might be better.

We all need to remember this and not get discouraged.

Thanks for this. I lost my first 30 in the first 3 weeks from surgery and I haven't lost very much since. Although I have been staying pretty positive and not overthinking everything, I am a bit disappointed because I know that I am following my plan very closely and exercising. This post just encourages me to keep doing what I'm doing and things will get better. I really appreciate it.

I wholeheartedly agree, that is an excellent description of stalls, especially the dreaded 3 week one. I had one then and another at 6 weeks when I upped my exercising. Super surprised I never even thought of that one :) but makes perfect sense. I just broke my stall after finding I was also not eating enough calories. I thought I was doing great until I started tracking and found out I actually was under.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches