Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't get enough calories to exercise...

I mentioned talking to your NUT before. Have you done so?

Are you getting in all your Protein and Water every day? If not, why not.

Not getting enough Protein will inhibit your healing and recovery from surgery as well as your ability to lose weight and exercise.

From what I am reading (although I might be wrong) it sounds like you need to address the basics.

I generally make my Protein and Water. The calories are low though. For example, two Protein Drinks is 60 of Protein but only puts me at 240 or so calories. Water between those. Then I try to eat what I can after making protein.

They have given me guidelines, yes ... and tell me with time it will happen and I'm not expected to make it all this early, etc.

I just thought maybe others would have some real experience and advice. I am going to try the things along here and I think I'm just going to dive into the exercise and hope the appetite will follow.

I get they are most concerned with protein, but I definitely want more calories to feel better overall. Gonna try more real food a little at a time. Maybe this will help, also.

To clarify my standard day is two Protein Shakes and a yogurt. After that it's what I can tolerate. I get around 70 of Protein a day. Sometimes more.

I would add more Protein rich items to the Protein Shakes. I always try to bookend my workouts with good carbs and Protein. Someone mentioned a few things like adding avocado to your Protein Drink. In addition to that I also add Fage 0% greek yogurt, nut butter and spinach or spinach/kale puree to my protein drinks. I make the spinach or spinach/kale puree by blending it in the vitamix with just enough Water to liquefy and freezing into ice trays. I then add one cube to each drink. I make my Protein Drinks using Water and then pack loads of ice on them. I drink half pre-work out and the other after post workout. This fuels my workout so I am burning fat and keeps my energy up. The additives also keep my calories at a good level and using water & ice counts toward my Fluid goals.

That said, give your body time to heal. Your energy will return. Then strive to get some sort of exercise in everyday.

Don't get overly focused on calories. I ate 400 calories for the first 2 weeks post op. Then ate 400 - 600 until 3mths post op. From 3 - 9 months I ate between 600 - 800 and currently eat between 800 - 1000. The new tummy is tiny. It can't hold much. As long as that protein level is good you should be okay.

I do think the sooner you can move to real food for your Protein sources, the better you'll feel. Protein derived almost exclusively from those shakes just isn't as good as the nutrients you can get from food.< /p>

I think you might be expecting too much of yourself; you've just had the surgery this month. You've had a remarkable amount of weight loss, and it is awesome that you want to get your energy back RIGHT NOW so you can exercise, but this was major surgery and your stomach is still very, very raw and swollen (will be for months) so please don't push too hard trying to do things your body isn't ready for, or get discouraged that it isn't happening the way you want. Be patient with yourself. You had a long hard journey to get to the point where you had the surgery, and it won't be resolved overnight (or in a few months).

Maybe start trying to add in fruit/protein smoothies (have a blender?) try using yogurt, almond milk, ice, real fruit - things like bananas and avacado (for the healthy fat and calories) and sip on those when you can. You'll get some protein, calories and fats to help up your calorie intake and still should be gentle on your stomach/digestion.

Scrambled eggs with a bit of cheddar cheese was a good soft food for protein/calories in the beginning (once I could eat solids). It didn't agree with me for the first couple of months, tho (threw up that and chicken until around 3 months out).

Refried Beans (especially black beans) with a bit of cheese on top also really good for calories/energy.

I've got some serious questions to pose to my nutritionist next week.

There is no way in hell it can be healthy for me to live at a daily deficit of 1,500+ calories......which is where I'd be on 400 calories eaten, working 13+ hour shifts and exercising on my days off.

Dangerous for vital organs.

I want to lose weight but do so safely.

Yes. It has to be as safe and healthy as possible or it defeats the purpose of all our efforts.

I highly doubt your nutritionist would expect a 6'4" guy to live off 400 calories. Your first week post-op that might be the best you can do, but I'm fairly certain they would up your calories pretty fast. There's also going to be different recommendations for someone having bypass as opposed to a sleeve. Bypass folks have more of a malabsorption factor than sleevers. Variables such as height, weight, sex, and lifestyle all factor into our doctor's recomendations

I saw my doctor yesterday. I need to increase my calories by 500 per day and is exactly what

the trainer has been telling me all along. I kept a food log on myfitnesspal and was deficient 300 - 500 calories per day if I wanted to lose 1.5 lbs. a week.

I asked the doctor about the high calorie Protein before or after my workouts. It would work,

but, I have to consider that the high sugars could make me sick. He suggested that I eat my 3

regular meals and 2 good Snacks in-between, which is what I have been doing, but, just couldn't get my Water in. Doctor suggested that with the Snacks only I can have a small amount of

liquids just to get things down and continue with my Water. I tried it today and it worked!

My energy is back with the increase in calories. After my workout I would come home and was

exhausted and usually slept for 1/2 hour or so. Today, I'm rare and to go with a ton of energy!

I hope this continues!!

Before anyone disagrees, please understand that I am on an intense program at the gym with high cardio and light weight lifting. I burn between 1200 and 1600 calories

per work out and am left with between 800 and 1000 calories after my work out. Being

sleeved I cannot eat anymore at mealtimes and the snacks were extremely difficult

to get down until today when I

added a little liquids. I hope I found what will work for me. We are all so different and we

should always check with our doctors and nutritionists before taking anyone's word.

Edited by NoMoBand

Wow! Awesome, Nomoband! I am going to speak about this extensively with my husband tomorrow as he's a pro in these matters.

Your post totally addresses my concerns. I am going to ask about this. I understand everyone has different approaches and many worry about "sliding" and such, but I do believe we each have to use our "tool" in the way it best serves our long term goals and daily needs.

I actually had more calories today. I think just vocalizing it helped. I write everything down. I added half a Protein bar and maybe half a cup of Soup. Big difference.

What you are saying makes sense because I think I managed to Soup as it had broth with the veggies and tiny bit of meat. I don't think I could have finished it otherwise.

Is it possible that a major part of your problem is the heat? I assume you've been walking 8 miles a day outdoors? I had my last plastics procedure in March so I was only able to walk for about 2-3 months, which in March, April, and May was great, however by the time June and July rolled around walking only the 3 miles I was walking was exhausting because it was so hot. Walking 8 miles outside at this type of year is not going to make an in-shape person feel great largely because the time spent outside combined with the heat is zapping your energy. If you were running 8 miles, you could finish in an hour- hour and 20 minutes, but a walk must take at least 2 hours? No wonder you don't feel good.

I resolved my issue by joining a gym for the summer. Sure, it's boring, but now I can workout for an hour in the air conditioning and I don't feel anywhere near as drained as I do when I run for an hour outside. Also, if you aren't getting enough fluids that is likely also contributing to dehydration, which in turn makes you feel crummy. I had no problem working out on the small amount of calories after I had the sleeve, but it was in September when it was much cooler and I was only outside for maybe an hour jogging at a time.

I am not walking 8 miles a day. I was prior to surgery. I shared that as a point of reference.

Yes, right now it is the heat playing a huge role. I did get a treadmill and will be using that.

I don't expect to return to higher miles until fall when it cools down and I am able to better work with my pouch as well as having time to heal.

For now I just want to be able to exercise even a mile or two without feeling sick and super weak.

Hope this helps to clarify. You are exactly right about the heat. I may be projecting all the changes to the sleeve without generally realizing I would realistically not be super comfortable walking outside apart from very early or very late now anyways.

Early in your program, just keep working on getting in all your Protein and Water, as you progress through the food stages you will be adding calories.

Just follow your plan and you will be fine. As you heal and progress you and your NUT can make sure you will be able to exercise safely.

Keep in mind you are very early in your process. It hasn't been a month yet. I tired easily for the first month and needed a nap daily. That's perfectly normal. As for calories and such, you do add them gradually. Protein and fluids are the most important, especially early on. It's also very important to have an ongoing conversation with your nutritionist (if you have a good one) or surgeon. You nutrition goals and needs will change as you progress. I am leery of taking advice from trainers unless they are specifically trained in bariatrics because the needs are slightly different.

the other thing is in your workout type. for you instead of walking 8 miles or more, just go to 1 mile on an elliptical. it actually gets your heart rate up more and is a great cardio exercise. ( you dont yto use the elliptical per se, but changing the type of exercise rather than the distance. And at those distances a half hour on the elliptical is much stronger of a burn than a 8 mile walk. I hope i made this understandable, i do tend to babble sometimes.

oh and not being healthy on 400 calories? do you not understand how this process works? I am assuming you did some research before getting into this?

This process basically puts you in starvation mode for awhile. that's quite healthy for an obese person. that's what we do. That's a big part of how this works. and no its not bad for your organs, we supplement everything with Vitamins, Calcium, minerals Proteins etc.