Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight loss before revision

I am currently 235bs and my doctor has told me he will not even consider a revision until I get down to 210lbs. My lapband is empty as of now (just had a baby and having problems finding that sweet spot) fill/unfill/fill/unfill. My question is, has anyone else ever had to lose weight before being considered for a revision? THANKS

I'm at 252 - the nutritionist/my insurance wants me to lose a few lbs a month so about a total of about 6lbs but that's just to prove I tried. Maybe it just depends on the doctor.

Well that's a big difference than 25 pounds. At least that's how I feel. I obviously got the band to help me lose weight since I have had issues my whole life and now I'm being told I have to lose 25 pounds. I am all about trying and showing that I am serious, I just feel that it's kind of a lot to put that on me

Edited by Caela88

I weigh 325 and I am having the revision on Aug 11. I did not have to lose any weight before surgery. I just stated my pre-op diet today and will be on liquids for 2 weeks prior to surgery. I will lose weight being on this diet, but it wasn't a requirement.

my doctors excuse was to prove that I was serious about losing weight and if nothing less for him to have more room while doing the surgery. (which kind of irritated me)....

My Dr. stated that it was just to get my used to how I would eating post-op. I lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks doing this.

I understand that everyone is talking about a two week pre op diet and that makes sense, but My doctor wants me to lose 25lbs. (in no set time) before considering the revision... just frustrating to me. Thanks for everyones responses

my doctors excuse was to prove that I was serious about losing weight and if nothing less for him to have more room while doing the surgery. (which kind of irritated me)....

Find a new surgeon!

I had a doctor similar when I was having issue with Lapband. I left the office and did nothing for a year and then I found a new doctor and within 4 months I was scheduled for revision surgery. Look for a new doctor, don't delay. I gained all my weight lost from the band plus 50lbs so now starting all over.

I just don't know how to go about finding a different doctor cause I have Kaiser. There are about 4 surgeons at my hospital, and I am sure they are all close knit... Guess I will just have to ask! :) THANKS

What is Kaiser? If its an insurance company - maybe you could call them to see if they would allow you to go to a different hospital - it can't hurt to look up doctors in your area to see if they take your insurance too. Good Luck! - I'm really glad I'm not having issues atm getting approved - my doctor is completely onboard with me getting this done and done in ONE surgery instead of two.

I just don't know how to go about finding a different doctor cause I have Kaiser. There are about 4 surgeons at my hospital, and I am sure they are all close knit... Guess I will just have to ask! :) THANKS

Any friends who used another doctor? That is how I found mine, same building actually right next door to my previous surgeon. They work together in a fashion but each doctor will have a different approach.

When you lose weight before the surgery you shrink the fat around your liver. I have met ppl in the surgeons office who went from lab band to sleeve and woke up to find the sleeve was not done because it was not safe to get around the liver. try and lose the weight and get the surgery done safely

Caela. I had to lose 20 pounds before my surgery (doctors order, not insurance requirement) but I weighed a LOT more than you. If doctor wants you to get to 210lbs, and you do, you should reconsider surgery and do the weight loss naturally. My friend was around 220lb when she got the sleeve and her weight loss was soooo slow.