Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Galveston Overnighter - November 13, 2004

No problem with that amount here.

Just looking forward to meeting all of you ladies this weekend even if I do have to drive myself.

If we have 7, the cost per person will now be $57.50 (an increase of $7.19 each) on the condo. Does any of the confirmed have a problem with this amount? I don't.

I'm fine with this amount!

We can get into the condo at 2 p.m. tomorrow. Please bring a jacket and a pre-banding picture of yourself!! If you haven't received directions (by pm) to the condo, please contact me! Everyone, have a safe trip and see you tomorrow!!

Whooooo Hoooo! The dietician just called and put me on solid foods! So, I can eat just like the rest of you this weekend! She also said I could have a glass of wine :)

Let the good times begin :banana :banana :banana

Well. I'm NEARLY ready to go. lol. I'm bringing a huge box and suitcase full of clothes - size 2x, 20, 18 - mostly Petites. Maybe someone can use at least some of them. We'll see.

We have music. I have maps and phone numbers. So, I reckon I better get myself to bed so I can actually get up in the morning. :)

Go to bed, Marie and Betty. I know you're lurking.

Well. I'm home! Where is everyone???

Where does one start?

For starters, we missed you all, everyone who wasn't able to be there! But, what can I say? WOW! Although it was one night only, I am SOO glad I made the trip!

Marie did an awesome job (and I do mean AWESOME) of locating a place for us all to stay. The condo that we rented was way beyond nice, it was fabulous, gorgeous, comfortable, fancy, did I saw AWESOME? Fantastic! I recommend we line up a yearly bandster pajama party at this very place! This place was a 4bdrm, 3 bath, gorgeously decorated and furnished villa with a wide sweeping view of the breaking waves just across the street. The weather did not cooperate, but the ocean view and the sound of the crashing waves was worth it!

I picked Betty (Iluvharleys) up at 9:30am as agreed and she wouldn't have it any other way but for me to take a pic on her Harley. LOL. I'm interested to see how that turned out. <yikes> Anyway, that was fun and Betty and her husband have a beautiful home and I really enjoyed meeting them. Nice, nice folks.

So Betty and I load up my Honda with bunches and bunches of clothing that we're bringing and we get on our way. Poor Betty, she got to know more about Leatha_G than anyone in the last decade has ever had a chance to know. See what happens when you live alone with no one to talk to? Sorry Betty. http://www.lapbandtalk.com/images/smilies/frown.gif lol

We were in Galveston in no time and once we located our condo, we head upstairs to meet Marie (NewHope) and Nancy (claraluz). We arrived at approx 3:15pm and man, were we ever pleased with our surroundings. It was beautiful. Beyond belief!

Shortly after we get our arrival hugs and exchange hellos, our friends Lisa_G, Paula and GinnyKElliott arrive and it is SO good to finally put some faces/voices with names that have become like family.

We all sat down at the big dining table, just like old friends and smiled and laughed and genuinely felt as if we were 'home'. Sisters of the band, soon to find out we have much more than just a band in common. We talked as if we hadn't seen each other in years and pretty soon, the fact that NONE of us had eaten sent us seeking sustinence at the nearby Saltgrass Steakhouse. We had alot of fun there, too, talking, sipping a margarita, sharing meals amongst each other. It was just a genuinely nice dinner with much chatter about our bands, our ups and downs and losses and non-losses and finding out that these people are really as kind and loving as you've always thought, only moreso.

We walked back to our little hacienda in the cool November wind with the ocean churning right next to us. Laughing, and more chatter along the way. When we returned, it was decided that we needed to take a trip to the local grocery for some munchies and wine and various other sundries. I won't tell how some of our more 'spirited' sisters harrassed the cashiers and sackboys at the grocery, but I can say he had a real cute smile. http://www.lapbandtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Back at the house, our pajama party began with women shedding daywear and putting on their nighties to settle down for some old fashioned 'visiting'. It was nice to get cozy after a long drive in the car. Ginny, Lisa and Nancy are having a ball trying on the clothes and modeling them for us.. woohooo! That Ginny had a ball!

My girl Ginny came prepared for a party, however, she brought her very own karaoke machine! Of course, those of us more shy folks had nothing doing but to try hiding from that, but Ginny put on a perfectly fine show all by herself! She's good! and pretty soon the ice was broken. I was coerced to share in a duet singin 'Black Water', one of my favorite sing-along songs. It wasn't all that long that I noticed everyone else was singing with us, which just makes it better. That was fun! We sang several, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun', 'We Are Family', 'Sweet Home Alabama'. severl more. Karaoke ain't so bad if everyone is singing. I did enjoy it and I think everyone else did too. Course, a few glasses of wine or a little margarita didn't hurt!

After we sang a few songs, we decided to move back to the 'family' dining table and just share a bit around the table (at Ginny's suggestion) about who we are and how we came to be where we are today, band-wise, weight-wise and I am here to tell you in that one single room were some of the most powerful, poignant, touching, heart-wrenching stories of experience, strength and hope that I have ever witnessed. Of course, there were lots of nods of 'been there, done that' agreements, laughs, moments of heartbreaking truths and stories of God's gifts and revelations. I know I will not be the only one to say I have already deemed my weekend 'Truly Blessed'. One thing is for certain as we have all noted many times. Our lives do truly have a common thread. As much as it does certainly include trials and tribulations, I choose to think the single most common thing is our will to survive, our determination to triumph over tragedy and this small group brought together on a cold November evening most certainly has reinforced my belief in that.

There will be great photos shared, soon to come, but what I will not soon forget is the love shared amongst those once faceless friends who have now become sisters of the heart. I love you all and I thank you for sharing this small part of your lives with me and allowing me to share mine with you.

We are ALL beautiful broken shells.. .

You all know I don't take photos very well. Someday I'll read the manual. :rolleyes But I'll try to post the few I do have.

This is taken in the Saltgrass Steakhouse, Paula, Betty(in the dark) and Lisa_G.

These ladies had SO much fun trying on clothes. Betty became their Fairy Godmother on this night. It was a joy to watch them try on the clothes and have a ball doing it. They were so cute!